My LFS is doing a deal on inverts. I have a question.

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my lfs is doing a deal on clean up crew packs which are like packs of a few snails and hermit crabs. I want to know which back is better for hair algae clean up.

Pack one:

• Trochus x3
  • Nassarius x2
  • Emerald Crab x1
Pack Two:

• Astraea x3
  • Margarita x2
  • Dwarf Red Tipped Hermit x3
Which one would be better for hair algae consumption?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pack 2. Although both are great packs. Pack 1 is a generalist pack that will keep your glass and sand clean, and has a crab you can leave at the store.

Pack 2 has your rock and glass cleaners, as well as hermit crabs to eat them for their shells...

Don't mind me, I'm anti-crab. If it's got claws, it's got flaws.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pack 2. Although both are great packs. Pack 1 is a generalist pack that will keep your glass and sand clean, and has a crab you can leave at the store.

Pack 2 has your rock and glass cleaners, as well as hermit crabs to eat them for their shells...

Don't mind me, I'm anti-crab. If it's got claws, it's got flaws.
I have a plethora of extra shells of different sizes so hopefully that will help.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plethora of extra shells of different sizes so hopefully that will help.

Every hermit crab when it meets a snail...

hannibal lecter 90s GIF

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the two packs I would choose the second mostly because in my opinion margarita snails are the best of ones in these packs for hair algae.
Also 2 is about 3 quarters the price of pack 1. plus you get more individual animals.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't Margarita snails a cold water species that adapts poorly to tropical temps and has a high mortality rate? I've never kept them for that reason.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't Margarita snails a cold water species that adapts poorly to tropical temps and has a high mortality rate? I've never kept them for that reason.
They do better in colder environments but they do adapt in warmer environments in my experience. They just live a little less longer and don't breed.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For hair algae Mexican turbos can't be beat. I've got 6 golf ball sized ones that keep my reefer 625 spotless. I've had them for over 2 years.

Rico's Reefnecks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my limited experience, while emerald crabs do a good job on algae they have a knack for finding the most expensive coral you own and having a midnight snack. Especially euphyllia.

freepizza80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how old? As you'll learn that small packs like these won't really do much when your tank start to mature. Check out reefcleaners website for great deals on clean up crew.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how old? As you'll learn that small packs like these won't really do much when your tank start to mature. Check out reefcleaners website great deals on clean up crew.
Hey, my tank is 1 year old and it is 32 gallons.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I’d skip the pack and get what you need for the problem you have. Tuxedo urchin, trochus snails, turbo snails, emerald crabs and a mix of red and blue legged hermits.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
margaritas and Mexican turbos are great they do really great if you run your tanks at lower temps like around 72 that's where i run mine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • None.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back