My LFS is notorious for being GOOD or BAD I got the GOOD!

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 Gal Biocube started May 5th with 25 pounds of live rock from the local reef shop old established rock 2 week cycle.

My LFS is really hit or miss when you ask people some will say everything dies when they buy from there others will say they never got anything that has lived longer.

Well I had one GIANT Aipista (I'm new I thought it kinda pretty) so I let it grow and grow then I found out they were bad. Next thing you know I see little ones popping up EVERYWHERE!!!

Tried lemon juice the giant aiptasia asked me for more I am against chemicals I didn't want to use Aiptasia X or anything like that (I have read it's safe) just something I don't want to do.

So I asked my LFS if they had any peppermint shrimp they had 2 I purchase them acclimate them 1 hour I start reading you want 3 of them to pack hunt to kill aiptasia. Well I don't know if they were starving or what but first night in the tank it looks like they have ate every aiptasia in the tank!

Do I still need to get a third pepperteer lol or is 2 going to be fine? Now that I don't see any aiptasia am I supposed to over feed the pellets and frozen food so they have stuff to eat?

Thanks!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all peppermint shrimp are the same! We recently has a question of the day thread on this so you should compare what you were sold to what species is effective. I don't think the 2 vs 3 thing will matter.

They can turn on you and go after zoas and such but in general will eat whatever you feed your fish. I wouldn't worry about giving a huge amount of extra food just for them.

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yeah still not a month into the hobby so no corals or anything just a little family of different types of snails ( 8 total I bought 2 nasarrius 2 bumblebee 2 Astera and 2 margarita ) 5 hermits ( red leg ) an emerald crab two clowns and a red scooter blenny and now the 2 peppermints.

I saw the videos I think aiptasia x is good! I personally just don't want to if I don't have to (I guess iodine now for the shrimp?) Any chemicals into the tank have a phobia I don't remember what it was but when I was a kid we had to add something to a freshwater tank and next morning everything was dead never used any chemicals since then.

Ok nice I don't need a third one then? Reading over my stock (32 gal biocube) am I at max capacity now or room for more this stuff is addicting!!!!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back