My lfs sold me a baby tang with ick.

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need someone to help me out! I got my baby yellow tang and it's got ick now. Hasn't been in a day and it's got it. I called them and they said yes the other ones they have also have ick. It's been not even 24 hours since getting the fish. I don't have a QT system set up and thr lfs won't do anything to help besides giving me 15% OFF some ick treatment. I'm located in bay city Michigan!! Idk where to start im new to the hobby.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need someone to help me out! I got my baby yellow tang and it's got ick now. Hasn't been in a day and it's got it. I called them and they said yes the other ones they have also have ick. It's been not even 24 hours since getting the fish. I don't have a QT system set up and thr lfs won't do anything to help besides giving me 15% OFF some ick treatment. I'm located in bay city Michigan!! Idk where to start im new to the hobby.
Petco's having their dollar a gallon sale. Set yourself up a QT, and find a new fish store, and blast out their name.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shoulda told you. But it’s about a 80% change any LFS tang will have something.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to give out names and stir the pot. But don't you need to cycle the qt first?
If you have rock in the tank and bio media you can seed the qt tank with that bio media and new saltwater.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some freshwater the same temp as the tank put him in it for 3 to 5 min. A few dip will not get rid of ich but it will give the fish some relief. You need a copper treatment

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some freshwater the same temp as the tank put him in it for 3 to 5 min. A few dip will not get rid of ich but it will give the fish some relief. You need a copper treatment
I think you add some baking soda for ph. I didn’t once and dipped my clown for 5 minutes in rodi, he wasn’t happy. He’s fine now but went through the copper treatment soon after.

Last edited:

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Lost in the Sauce, get a QT tank and a new fish store. Selling you a fish they knew had ick and not telling you is beyond dishonest. If you made your purchase with a credit card, I would ask them to give you the ick treatment for free or you will contest the charge. Otherwise, they can take the fish back and return your money with a bad review. No need for them to stay in business if this is how they treat their animals and customers.

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but this is something I feel is the hobbysists responsibility unless the store advertsies quarantined fish. Stores already have razor thin margins and quarantining and refusing sales puts another nail in their coffin, unfortunate, but thats the reality. It seems they didnt know the fish had ich till you did: the next day. Invest in a quarantine system and put all fish through there if you want a guranteed clean system, but again, thats on you, not the store. just a hrd lesson learned.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ich was showing already and a customer has no idea it's an issue, then the LFS should inform them. But no LFS is going to tell customers ich is in their system if it's not currently presenting, unless asked. Important distinction, I think. It's why we QT, right?

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. That’s the risk you take when you buy from any shop. Always QT your livestock or buy from reputable online dealers like TSM.

OP
OP
paulrathor92

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a qt as we speak now. But the bizzare thing is i follow them on FB and they post new videos of when they have new fish come in salt and fresh. They posted the video 3 or 4 days ago I went and picked mine up now 2 days ago. So I told them it's not even about the money I jusy don't want yo put him back in my DT and gey the others sick. And risk him dying in a bucket. They told me to bring him in as I'm walking out the house they told me they couldn't do anything. I was so ticked . So I told them well if your gonna qt your fish couldn't you just help me out and they said no. Like this stores name is Blue thumb in saginaw Michigan. They make custom tanks and sell awesome stuff and livestock and are trying to make a reputation for themselves. So I'm thinking I'm going to just put them on blast but also don't wanna drive 2 hours everytime if I need something fast.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They told me to bring him in as I'm walking out the house they told me they couldn't do anything.

?

If an LFS doesnt implement a full QT including copper, then assume ich or other pathogens may be present in fish you purchase. Its not reason to put anyone on blast imo. It's a well known risk in this hobby. If none of the fish were showing ich when you purchased yours, then the LFS is like 95% of all other LFS's that dont QT their livestock.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back