My lfs sold me a baby tang with ick.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with other methods, but lights out, good feeding, low stress... mine typically recovered within 3 days. I think it takes strong, healthy enough fish, and mild outbreak to be successful by nature.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was already in the DT.. then very likely other fish have been exposed. FYI.

Many people do not used cycled DTs or they cycle it quickly with Biospira. A sponge filter would work even. I personally like hybrid TTM so I don’t have to expose the fish to copper. It doesn’t use cycled anything since you change to a new fresh bucket every few days. I just use a bucket that is fully dry between uses and new airline. I don’t use a heater in warmer months. Feed very lightly except a little bit before the transfer you can feed heavily.

Anyways good luck on what ever route you take.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treating the fish is one thing, but what are you planning to do about the main tank which now contains the parasite? Go fallow for 74 days or break down and start over?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or break down and start over?
It's just ick.. why even consider the nuclear option?

I think if you have a tank long enough and this hobby, You're going to have a parasite at some point you need to remediate. If tearing down and restarting is the only option, there's something wrong there.

People go fallow successfully all the time.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think if you have a tank long enough and this hobby, You're going to have a parasite at some point you need to remediate. If tearing down and restarting is the only option, there's something wrong there.

Given that the OP does not yet have a QT setup, I would guess their tank is fairly new. Depending how established the tank is the "nuclear option" (as you called it) may be a better option than going fallow and dealing with the issues that can cause.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the OP does not yet have a QT setup, I would guess their tank is fairly new. Depending how established the tank is the "nuclear option" (as you called) it may be a better option than going fallow and dealing with the issues that can cause.
Why would restarting ( which would include setting up a quarantine tank for all the new fish coming in after) be a better option than learning the process of dealing with what's going on now and following through with it?

Restarting because ick Just showed up seems like the more expensive option, lazier option, and one that leaves a great learning experience (That will be needed if you stick with this long enough) on the table.

Not trying to be argumentative but do not see the benefit at all.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would restarting ( which would include setting up a quarantine tank for all the new fish coming in after) be a better option than learning the process of dealing with what's going on now and following through with it?

Restarting because ick Just showed up seems like the more expensive option, lazier option, and one that leaves a great learning experience (That will be needed if you stick with this long enough) on the table.

Not trying to be argumentative but do not see the benefit at all.
We don't know if there are any other animals in the tank or not. Personally I wouldn't bring in any more livestock until the main tank is clear of ich. A tank can be broken down and restarted in far less than 74 days. I guess what I'm saying is the OP needs to pick their battles based on their situation.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's great advice already here, but I'll just throw in my two-cents for prosperity's sake...
If the fish was in your tank with ich, you more than likely have it in your system. I know ich is in my system but don't worry about. The last fish I added (clown), about 6 months ago, got full blown ich in two days. I didn't bother setting up my QT because the stress of isolation and medication is just as bad as the ailment when it comes to ich. I also didn't stress about the other 12 fish in my tank either. As long as you have good/stable parameters, a good UV filter, good food, and most importantly a low-stress environment you will prevent ich from devastating a tank. I always thought of ich kind of like shingles, always in you but only comes out when stressed or immunosuppressed. I had multiple tangs (that I ended up giving away as they got bigger) full ich in my system and to this day I've never lost any fish to ich...carpet surfing is another story though....:rolleyes:

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo tang always had ich but none of my other fish ever got it
They say it gets in the graval and the water column. But I believe a strong fish with a high water flow environment has a good chance not getting it. If it was me. And I did not have any crabs or inverts corals . I would medicate the whole tank. If my cuc was in . I would start my other tank up. No fish for 3 months. With out fish ick will die off.

CKinLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's great advice already here, but I'll just throw in my two-cents for prosperity's sake...
If the fish was in your tank with ich, you more than likely have it in your system. I know ich is in my system but don't worry about. The last fish I added (clown), about 6 months ago, got full blown ich in two days. I didn't bother setting up my QT because the stress of isolation and medication is just as bad as the ailment when it comes to ich. I also didn't stress about the other 12 fish in my tank either. As long as you have good/stable parameters, a good UV filter, good food, and most importantly a low-stress environment you will prevent ich from devastating a tank. I always thought of ich kind of like shingles, always in you but only comes out when stressed or immunosuppressed. I had multiple tangs (that I ended up giving away as they got bigger) full ich in my system and to this day I've never lost any fish to ich...carpet surfing is another story though....:rolleyes:

I agree.

I don’t QT, and likely never will. When the fish gets stressed, ich may show up again, but usually I’ve only ever seen it when adding new fish in the past. If I see ich present, I feed well and stay out of the tank until it’s gone (usually a day or two or a couple at most). If the fish is already stressed, catching it and transferring it to another tank may be enough to kill it; that’s four tank moves (wholesale, store, main, and QT) and shipping in a very short period.

My advise is if it’s in the tank already, leave it be, feed it well and stay out of the tank. Once it recovers, then decide if you want to implement a full quarantine process.

Whenever buying non-quarantined fish, assume ich is present; it’s not that big of a deal.

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

I don’t QT, and likely never will. When the fish gets stressed, ich may show up again, but usually I’ve only ever seen it when adding new fish in the past. If I see ich present, I feed well and stay out of the tank until it’s gone (usually a day or two or a couple at most). If the fish is already stressed, catching it and transferring it to another tank may be enough to kill it; that’s four tank moves (wholesale, store, main, and QT) and shipping in a very short period.

My advise is if it’s in the tank already, leave it be, feed it well and stay out of the tank. Once it recovers, then decide if you want to implement a full quarantine process.

Whenever buying non-quarantined fish, assume ich is present; it’s not that big of a deal.
This is something I'm having an internal struggle with right now. My tang has some white spots a few days ago which disappeared the next day. But all fish including the tang are acting normal, feeding normal etc. I almost feel like I shouldn't intervene.

CKinLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I'm having an internal struggle with right now. My tang has some white spots a few days ago which disappeared the next day. But all fish including the tang are acting normal, feeding normal etc. I almost feel like I shouldn't intervene.
I wouldn’t do anything. As long as your tank is healthy, I doubt you’ll see it again unless you majorly disturb the tank (re-aquascape).

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish you buy from any source, unless it was quarantined for you, should be QT'd.

I'm also in the area and familiar with that LFS and they do a good job for the most part. I've purchased several healthy fish from them and never had an issue.... but I also QT all my fish. This shop is the only one in the area and they have very good pricing, lots of stock and variety. I'd hate to see their reputation take a hit over one fish with ICH. Before they came along, we had to travel several hours to find any SW fish or corals. Don't want to go back to those days.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that! But actually you bought a tang with ich!! Need to QT. Don’t trust LFS!!

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recently got ick and looking to set up a QT tank. Any recommendations on tank size and filter? Purple tang, blue tang, orange clownfish and black storm clown. Display tank is filled with expensive sps and lps so can’t treat with cooper.

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Think I’m gonna have to do this. Would adding a UV light help against the parasites and other nasties?

LovestheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

dang big time this the entire I’ve reefed

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back