:-( My LFS tested my water and it contradicts the tests I did on my oen

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me its cheaper because i already have an rodi filter, and more convenient because my tank is larger and transporting water would be a pita. In a small tank i could see just getting premixed saltwater and freshwater from the LFS. idk if this was said before but dont use tap water

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me its cheaper because i already have an rodi filter, and more convenient because my tank is larger and transporting water would be a pita. In a small tank i could see just getting premixed saltwater and freshwater from the LFS. idk if this was said before but dont use tap water
What size is your tank?

Tap water is the one thing I miss about a freshwater tank...much easier. But I’m not gonna lie, even though I’m all mixed up and turned around at the moment, I like the saltwater process much better!

I think I’m going to bite the bullet and purchase a Hanna digital tester for ammonia and nitrate. I don’t want to be concerned with color coding tests OR wondering if the LFS has a good tester. I already have a refractometer for salinity.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont bother with the hanna for ammonia. Once your cycle completes, you'll never use an ammonia kit again.

Mixing your own water as opposed to buying it at the LFS. You can 100% guarantee whats in the water.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont bother with the hanna for ammonia. Once your cycle completes, you'll never use an ammonia kit again.

Mixing your own water as opposed to buying it at the LFS. You can 100% guarantee whats in the water.
Thoughts on the Hanna for nitrates?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, used it twice. it's been in my fish cupboard since.

It's fine if your measuring in the super low range, it's the dilution step that messes things up. Try finding a nitrate free fresh saltwater mix(FYI they all have a low range of nitrate in them).

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the Hanna for nitrates?
I have a Hannah low range NO3 checker. I personally really like it but often find myself using my salifert kit more often. I usually only pull out the Hannah when my salifet reading is clearly below 5ppm. When I drop below 5ppm I dose nitrates to bring up above 5 but keep below 10.

For the OP my favorite test kits are as follows as they are the easiest for me and I can replicate consistent results.
ALK - Hannah would not even consider any other test kit.
Cal - I prefer Red Sea
NO3 - Salifert easy to use and gets great ball park readings, Red Sea is also pretty good. No need for hannah unless you struggle keeping nutrients detectable. Lots of people swear by Nyos saying colors are easiest to differentiate but I have not personally tried the test kit.
PO4 - Love my Hannah, by far the most simple and accurate.
Mag - Salifert consistent and easy to use. The Ref Sea mag test always gave me very high false readings threw 2 of them in the trash before switching to Salifert.
Salinity- I like my hannah but a refractometer is a must have. Both need calibration checked frequently but both are very easy to calibrate.
Ammonia- API is fine, once cycled you likely will never test again. False low positive readings are almost guaranteed.
Nitrites - no need to test in my opinion. When cycling once ammonia is being processed and NO3 has been present for a week you know nitrites are being properly processed.
All other parameters nothing better then an ICP test.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hannah low range NO3 checker. I personally really like it but often find myself using my salifert kit more often. I usually only pull out the Hannah when my salifet reading is clearly below 5ppm. When I drop below 5ppm I dose nitrates to bring up above 5 but keep below 10.

For the OP my favorite test kits are as follows as they are the easiest for me and I can replicate consistent results.
ALK - Hannah would not even consider any other test kit.
Cal - I prefer Red Sea
NO3 - Salifert easy to use and gets great ball park readings, Red Sea is also pretty good. No need for hannah unless you struggle keeping nutrients detectable. Lots of people swear by Nyos saying colors are easiest to differentiate but I have not personally tried the test kit.
PO4 - Love my Hannah, by far the most simple and accurate.
Mag - Salifert consistent and easy to use. The Ref Sea mag test always gave me very high false readings threw 2 of them in the trash before switching to Salifert.
Salinity- I like my hannah but a refractometer is a must have. Both need calibration checked frequently but both are very easy to calibrate.
Ammonia- API is fine, once cycled you likely will never test again. False low positive readings are almost guaranteed.
Nitrites - no need to test in my opinion. When cycling once ammonia is being processed and NO3 has been present for a week you know nitrites are being properly processed.
All other parameters nothing better then an ICP test.
Sweet! Love this breakdown. I’ll have to add this to my notes. Thx!

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! Making your own water puts you in control of your tank. Not every LFS provides quality water.

In a pinch, distilled water and your choice of salt is better than unknown quality from LFS.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! Making your own water puts you in control of your tank. Not every LFS provides quality water.

In a pinch, distilled water and your choice of salt is better than unknown quality from LFS.
I’m reading up on the use of distilled water now. Everything I read contradicts something else. Apparently, the hierarchy when mixing your own water is (1) rodi, (2) distilled, or (3) tap/other. I’m definitely not going with #3 but I’m researching to understand more about #2.

My future goal is to mix my own water. Being a newbie and all, I figured I had a hard enough learning curve and could wait for a little while before I added another challenge. Guessing at some point I’ll get tired of driving to the LFS to get water and mix my own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you are comfortable with water tests. Getting consistent results. Then you can make a better decision on the quality of water you are using.

I have seen the imagitarium water at petco. wonder what the parameters of that water actually is?

reading and research does lead to more questions!! That’s normal! Lol

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you are comfortable with water tests. Getting consistent results. Then you can make a better decision on the quality of water you are using.

I have seen the imagitarium water at petco. wonder what the parameters of that water actually is?

reading and research does lead to more questions!! That’s normal! Lol
When I was googling imagitarium sea water seemed to be the only pre-mixed water I could find. I’ve been trying to follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method. Figured I’d crawl now and buy water while I learn all this new “stuff and later on I’ll start to walk and mix the water myself.
As foerthe imagitarium water, there seems to be no worthwhile information on the label.

Attachments

• 8EEB3CC1-4A58-46FE-BD7F-00A542DDA3CA.jpeg
    8EEB3CC1-4A58-46FE-BD7F-00A542DDA3CA.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 49

RickNavyDad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar incident. I am cycling my tank and took a sample to where I usually get water. I was reading ammonia, no nitrite, and some nitrate. I was told my tank was cycled. I went to a place I go to a little bit farther away. I asked them and he explained I wasn't cycled and that the nitrate was from the frozen food I was feeding the one fish I have. Good to know what store you can go to for what. They also admitted the use API test kits and they weren't that accurate.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was googling imagitarium sea water seemed to be the only pre-mixed water I could find. I’ve been trying to follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method. Figured I’d crawl now and buy water while I learn all this new “stuff and later on I’ll start to walk and mix the water myself.
As foerthe imagitarium water, there seems to be no worthwhile information on the label.
have you tried natures ocean nutri seawater? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...n-nutri-seawater-natural-live-ocean-saltwater

a friend of mine only uses this and has very good results. He did tell me about an elevated level of tin or something that others reported but he hasnt had any issues with his.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried natures ocean nutri seawater? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...n-nutri-seawater-natural-live-ocean-saltwater

a friend of mine only uses this and has very good results. He did tell me about an elevated level of tin or something that others reported but he hasnt had any issues with his.

After a good amount of research and reading through forums I decided to go with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Who knows, after I finish this huge bucket I may try something else.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked at your other posts and you have a living hermit crab. That proves the lfs is wrong. No way you would have a hermit survive that much ammonia for that long.
I don't agree with that, some hermits are tough. But.... high ammonia and some nitrates buy zero nitrites is nearly impossible without dosing ammonia and quickly testing afterwards.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
api and seachem are not the most reliable test kits. idk anyone that actually uses imagitarium salt. its like petcos brand so just based on that i wouldnt buy it
I doubt they have their very own salt factory. I have zero evidence but I'd bet it's rebranded IO or another brand.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool its definitely trusted just make sure you test the new batch of salt because sometimes io salt is a bit inconsistent and reef crystals usually leaves some buildup in the bucket but nothing that will hurt the tank. I get my red sea blue bucket for 60 and the sack for 70 but have been thinking about cutting it with some instant ocean regular salt for some savings.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a good amount of research and reading through forums I decided to go with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. Who knows, after I finish this huge bucket I may try something else.
Can't really go wrong with RC. High Alk is its only flaw, but only a flaw in certain circumstances. It generally just allows you to go further down the reefing road doing waterchanges before you need to start dosing. It can be an issue though if you need to do massive waterchanges on an SPS heavy tank with a lower dKH in a hurry, but that's about it.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they have their very own salt factory. I have zero evidence but I'd bet it's rebranded IO or another brand.
prob just dont know what, which is annoying. i use red sea, i havent had problems with it mixing to different parameters ever and it mixes fast, but thats just my own experience. Also it costs me similar to reef crystals by me for whatever reason

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no qualms with reef crystal just same things you said before about high alk really and the brown stuff when it mixes for whatever reason.
i run 8 so i like to keep that consistent as well with the red sea salt just a bit easier for me so i dont have to worry as much doing large water changes

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back