My little girl's first reef tank (Fluval Sea Flex 32.5G)

darrow0903

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, yes I have it on constant 100%, I turned up the return nozzles so they break the surface of the water. I ran it without the strainer for a while, and then I put it on because I filled the return with BioMedia. I'm running an IceCap K1-Nano, but I've been told it also works with the PS-1 skimmer as well.
Perfect that was my next question (will it fit the skimmer lol). Thank you!

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I removed the YWG, Pistol, and Flame Hawkfish because they were the most hidden, and this tank is for my daughter. I moved them over to my new tank.

I have added 1x Blue Cleaner Wrasse and 1x Hector's Goby

However, the Orchid Dottyback is giving them both a hard time, so, since I have another dottyback in my new tank, I am thinking about swapping them, this way the new dottyback isn't territorial and it will give time to the wrasse and goby to get established...

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2:
Picked up some live rock from my LFS and swapped out some of the BioMedia balls for established balls so I had an insta-tank.

Also wasn't a fan of all the similarly shaped and sized pieces I got with the CaribSea Life Rock, so picked up 10lbs of Cornerstone and have a mix of the 3 in the tank now.

Corals are not really thriving, I'm trying to give them some acclimation time, but I am pretty sure one is a lost cause, we'll see though. The LFS I bought the coral from gave me a freebie with purchase, so I ended up with 2 Rock Flower Anemones. I also bought a Bubbletip and 2 tiny clowns from them.

let the tank sit with them in it for 3-4 days, all chemical levels were rock solid, so I added a few more to the tank today, got 3 Pajama Cardinals and an Orchid Dottyback.

Here's a video of the tank progress so far. I'll maybe make another after I clean the glass later this week.

Amazing.

oliverandcharms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed out the return and the powerheads for Sicce SDC line. I did this for ease of use (feed button controls all 3). Though, if I'm being honest, the Xstreams are much louder than the Current-USA. I'm sort of torn because they're audibly loud and they're much larger than the currents (I could put up with the size if they were silent) this is in a 2-year-olds room.

Sicce Syncra SDC 3.0
2x Sicce Xstream SDC

Here's a pic:
20211114_101002_HDR copy.jpg

Just did a water change which stirred up some stuff, and I have a bunch of hydroid jellyfish on the glass, but overall it's looking good I think
Looks awesome! I'm wondering if the Sicce Syncra 3.0 fits with the Fluval PS1 Protein skimmer?

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't read the whole thread, just wanted to say you are an awesome Dad and your kiddo is adorable!

Little girls have a way of wrapping Daddy around their little finger. Enjoy, they grow up so fast!

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't read the whole thread, just wanted to say you are an awesome Dad and your kiddo is adorable!

Little girls have a way of wrapping Daddy around their little finger. Enjoy, they grow up so fast!
haha thanks... She's definitely daddy's girl... I think we're gonna start building a go-kart together next year for her 4th birthday, hopefully, have it built by her 5th or 6th birthday so she can enjoy it :-D

oliverandcharms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a person in the Fluval group on FB it does, even with the strainer
Oh I see, so you used a different skimmer then? I've already ordered mine but would happily return if it really was that bad of a skimmer. Starting my first ever reef tank with the fluval flex, and although there's flaws, I'm determined to mod it until it's exactly what I'm looking for. Btw, thank you for all the info you've provided, it's really been a huge help

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see, so you used a different skimmer then? I've already ordered mine but would happily return if it really was that bad of a skimmer. Starting my first ever reef tank with the fluval flex, and although there's flaws, I'm determined to mod it until it's exactly what I'm looking for. Btw, thank you for all the info you've provided, it's really been a huge help
This is the best way I can sum it up:

In order of best to worst:
1) Tunze Comline DOC 9001 DC (Controllable) version
2) IceCap K1-Nano (The one I use)
3) Tunze Comline DOC 9001 Non-DC version
4)Most everything else
5) an Apple
6) A Rusty crow bar
Dead Last) Fluval PS-1

I had the PS-1 for a couple of months, no amount of tuning yielded anything better than some extremely light tea colored skim, every single day, or every 3-4 days if you down-tune it. With the K1-Nano I get somewhere between dark tea and coffee every week or so...

oliverandcharms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best way I can sum it up:

In order of best to worst:
1) Tunze Comline DOC 9001 DC (Controllable) version
2) IceCap K1-Nano (The one I use)
3) Tunze Comline DOC 9001 Non-DC version
4)Most everything else
5) an Apple
6) A Rusty crow bar
Dead Last) Fluval PS-1

I had the PS-1 for a couple of months, no amount of tuning yielded anything better than some extremely light tea colored skim, every single day, or every 3-4 days if you down-tune it. With the K1-Nano I get somewhere between dark tea and coffee every week or so...
And so I'm assuming you're running the sicce pump still? And to clarify, is it the Sicce Syncra 3.0 Wifi Model (800GPH) or the Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 (714GPH)? It seems that more flow regardless of setup is ideal.

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so I'm assuming you're running the sicce pump still? And to clarify, is it the Sicce Syncra 3.0 Wifi Model (800GPH) or the Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 (714GPH)? It seems that more flow regardless of setup is ideal.
I'm using the Syncra SDC 3.0 (The Wifi Model, 800GPH). Both work, both fit, but the Silent 3.0 is a bit wider and some have experienced noise/vibration with it. My guess is that it's not seated properly and one side is touching the aquarium or AIO housing...

oliverandcharms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Syncra SDC 3.0 (The Wifi Model, 800GPH). Both work, both fit, but the Silent 3.0 is a bit wider and some have experienced noise/vibration with it. My guess is that it's not seated properly and one side is touching the aquarium or AIO housing...
Okay, good to know this is great info

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back