OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jason mack, with that weird lighting program, I'd just use a par meter or lux meter with conversion to get the values you need. Once established, then just record the values on the program for record.
Today i have adjusted my lights .. luckly the middle one has a normal program 0-100% so i st the whites at 30 % and matched the other two too that one .. wasnt really that far off actually .. after watching a video of @Dana Riddle How he explains the relationship between higher alk , light and flow .. in a tank and coral growth , I have since put a 3rd wave maker in turned down my lights and lam currently running alk at 8.9 dkh .. my system is high in nutrients so not too worried about a higher Alk !!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
227024-Happy-New-Year-Fireworks-Gif.gif

happy-2018-colorful-fireworks-gif-image.gif

:)

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i have adjusted my lights .. luckly the middle one has a normal program 0-100% so i st the whites at 30 % and matched the other two too that one .. wasnt really that far off actually .. after watching a video of @Dana Riddle How he explains the relationship between higher alk , light and flow .. in a tank and coral growth , I have since put a 3rd wave maker in turned down my lights and lam currently running alk at 8.9 dkh .. my system is high in nutrients so not too worried about a higher Alk !!
I haven't read this whole thread, but keep the PAR well above 100 (200-300 if done slowly) and keep an eye on the corals. The point of those experiments was manifold:
1. Porites corals do not possess infinite photo-adaptability and photosaturate at a relatively low level.
2. Flow affects photosynthesis in the test corals.
3. Alkalinity affects photosynthesis in the test corals.
4. Bleaching can occur almost unnoticed and can be difficult to judge visually.
I am hesitant to paint with a broad brush and say these apply to all corals but they definitely affected the Porites.
Happy New Year!

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read this whole thread, but keep the PAR well above 100 (200-300 if done slowly) and keep an eye on the corals. The point of those experiments was manifold:
1. Porites corals do not possess infinite photo-adaptability and photosaturate at a relatively low level.
I am hesitant to paint with a broad brush and say these apply to all corals but they definitely affected the Porites.
Happy New Year!
@Dana Riddle , thanks for your input !! I will certainly take it slowy .. and watch for any change ..! Happy New Year !

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year!
Dana,
That is really good stuff :rolleyes: and Happy New Year

Freddie

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I feel the need ... the need for more research :p:D:cool:
I did not know that flow had an effect on photosynthesis ;Writing, but I know that flow effects the shapes of my sps as they grow out :)

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that flow had an effect on photosynthesis ;Writing, but I know that flow effects the shapes of my sps as they grow out :)
I will see if I can find the post but I think I saw it on fb !

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all who follow me ,
Its hard for me too write this , and its been even harder too admit it ... but my tank has velvet i believe ..
I have currently lost the following fish ,
2 clowns (died today)
1 dragonet (died today )
1 Royal gamma (died yesterday )
1 yellow eyed cole tang ( first too go ,3 days ago )

Fish i still have
1 flame angel ( currently not good)
1 copperband (currently bot good)
1 yellow watch goby ( currently showing no ill signs)
5 blue chromis ( showing signs )
1 sandhopper ( hes white with spots, so its hard too tell )

All my troubles are due too myself , i had a heartattack 3 months ago and not been at work ... too Much time on my hands and too Much tinkering ... my tank had been doing so Well , but a bubble algea outbreak and rising nitrates , had me doing too Many Changes and adding far too Many things .. vibrant / vsv/ peroxide ..chasing Numbers.. then a bad cyno outbreak

I have no QT , although Im looking for one now , ive always bought my fish from private collectors , believing the fish all too have gone through QT already , this reducing the risk , the last fish i added was the Royal gamma which was About 2 months ago ..
IT was my yellow eyed tang that first got sick which i noticed About a week ago .

I feel gutted , guilty , ashamed , heartbroken,
Im not giving up , i know the risks involved with this hobby , but iT still hurts .. i guess if they all die then i Will go fallow for 78 days and use the time too regroup myself , i hope soon too have a QT set up ..

Thank you for taking the time too read this !

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new deaths today ,although 1 chromis seems to be getting worse ,
Did a 30% WC ..
will add medicine again tomorrow !

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new deaths today ,although 1 chromis seems to be getting worse ,
Did a 30% WC ..
will add medicine again tomorrow !
Mack,
We're all pulling for you!!!

Freddie

OP
OP
Jason mack

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update , not lost anymore fish for a couple of days now , but my flame angel doesn’t look good , but he’s eating and still acting normal .!
Fingers crossed and hope I can get everything under control .

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back