My macros are bleaching or dissolving

tony0204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a native Californian, I have some kinds of red macroalgae in my mini aquarium that I collected from the tidal coast last week, not from a store. These are cold-water species that I have kept under 65 degrees. I use a pair of A21 3,050 lumens LED bulbs and a cooling system, in order for macros to survive. I give them the nutrients they need every day or a few days using ChaetoGRO and Florin GRO. They also have good water flow and the nutrients or organic matter to move around in the jar using the 95 GPH mini submersible pump. And no filter or sump is needed.

They seemed alright until I noticed some of my macros like red bubbles, and dulse algae, are starting to bleach green or dissolve in the water in the next few days, despite living under the right conditions. My other macros like the red sea moss and ahnfelt algae are doing good and growing slightly. I don’t do water changes every few weeks or so to avoid removing important nutrients the macros rely on. It’s still bleaching and I don’t know what to do next. Is the light source too strong or too low, is the water flow poor, is my water temperature warm, or is the unwanted disease killing my macros? Then what is causing my red macroalgae to bleach or dissolve in the water?

IMG_6074.jpeg
IMG_6075.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back