My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few months. It really does it slow so you almost have to look at pictures to tell it’s changing colors. Best way to tell it is doing well in my opinion, is to look at the end of the tentacles at night and look for the fluorescent color. If it has fluorescent color on the ends it changing light into food and that to me is the most important part to recovering from the shipment.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few months. It really does it slow so you almost have to look at pictures to tell it’s changing colors. Best way to tell it is doing well in my opinion, is to look at the end of the tentacles at night and look for the fluorescent color. If it has fluorescent color on the ends it changing light into food and that to me is the most important part to recovering from the shipment.
Got it... thats good to know.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send a picture of this? The tips of mine are deep purple that appears to glow when its hit by the light.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll see when my lights go out. My Mag doesn’t have the full fluorescent glow yet because he hasn’t been in the aquarium but a little over a week. Probably get a look at my RBTA for you. Long tentacle anemones usually glow under blue light at night.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll see when my lights go out. My Mag doesn’t have the full fluorescent glow yet because he hasn’t been in the aquarium but a little over a week. Probably get a look at my RBTA for you. Long tentacle anemones usually glow under blue light at night.
Thanks.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this post finds everyone in good health and good spirits. Im fighting cabin fever, however it gives me reasons to tinker with my aquarium...for good or bad :cool:. Another week or so has passed and im happy to report, no major developments. Although it appears at night it shrinks up a little? Looks like the anemone shifted its position again...so maybe it didn't shrink, but rotated itself? Im completely smitten by this animal to say the least. Its definitely keeping me on my toes. Here is the latest video

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family! Just checking in with another update and some questions for all you successful Mag keepers.

They anemone hasnt moved at all and it looks like it getting a pastel purple color to my eye. Some of the white blotches it had before are going away. I feel like i need to feed it a few times a week otherwise in my eye, it doesnt look as good? Is this a normal thing? As far as lighting goes, it receives an average par of 380 for at least 6-8 hours per day with peaks near 450 or so. Is that adequate? Or does it need more?

Im still not a the point where i feel comfortable yet....but maybe im out of the woods now?

1587665758359.png

Last edited:

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good to me. I haven't really fed mine I feed the fish so much throughout the day that it gets fed through what floats around in the tank. I have even seen the nem grab a few pieces of nori when the fish break some pieces away.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it gets really settled you wont need to feed it. The colors will continue to darken/brighten. If it hasnt moved and it's not deflating, I'd say you're probably out of the woods. I would guess it will still take some time to get back to full health.

It looks good though.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it gets really settled you wont need to feed it. The colors will continue to darken/brighten. If it hasnt moved and it's not deflating, I'd say you're probably out of the woods. I would guess it will still take some time to get back to full health.

It looks good though.
It changes sizes at certain times of the day.... but no deflating at all.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is definitely doing well.
be careful adding new anemeones. Just like fish and people, they can pass infections on to one another.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused and frustrated. I came home to the below pix today...the only thing i can conclude is the piece shrimp that fell into it. Its not deflated per se...but not looking happy at ALL. Maybe its the round of dosing!? Ill see if if looks like this in the am...but im concerned :(

1588384395424.png

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look unhappy. Keep eye on it, if gets worse, another round of meds. Although, I have not had a mag specifically. Only haddoni and malu.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look unhappy. Keep eye on it, if gets worse, another round of meds. Although, I have not had a mag specifically. Only haddoni and malu.
Yea thats the thing thats frustrating...im not sure what caused it not to be happy. Nothing has changed to my knowledge in my tank other than. Im dosing nutrients....i check every couple of days at this point... it appears to be dialed in. The good news is its looking better this morning. My only other conclusion is the feeding every few days.... I wont do that anymore. I am confused by that however. I have read you dont need to feed them as light is more than enough....other publications is you need to feed them. Can anyone chime in on this?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know with my malu and haddonis, I never feed them directly and they are growing and happy. They all host clowns, so those guys feed them. Good luck! Hope it perks up.
So i decided to check my nutrients and nitrate 5ppm and phosphates were at .33! So maybe thats why it wasn't happy.

Back