My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the clowns do what they do. I have found feeding stressful for recently treated mags. Plus it just isn’t necessary. Once established with adequate light, it’ll amaze you how fast it grows without target feeding. These animals can get really massive, particularly if they are stubborn and decide not to split.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the clowns do what they do. I have found feeding stressful for recently treated mags. Plus it just isn’t necessary. Once established with adequate light, it’ll amaze you how fast it grows without target feeding. These animals can get really massive, particularly if they are stubborn and decide not to split.
Gotcha... thanks for the good advice as always. How fast do they usually grow in your experience?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I grabbed my par meter, where the nem is currently located it gets about 450 peak par, with good flow as seen in the video.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have gotten solid advice from Ca1ore and Dnak.
You're on the mend...just pay attention to what the clowns do.
They can be rough on a new/recovering anemone.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys... checking in with another update. Today marks a mini milestone.... The Mag has been out of quarantine for just over two week. No deflations what so ever.... i could be fooling myself but it looks like its gotten slightly bigger? Anyway here are the latest pix taken literally moments ago:

1585529090378.png

1585529130151.png

1585529170265.png

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is looking great. Mine is two weeks behind yours. Still waiting on my Clowns to get in but no luck yet.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.... give me the deets!! Lol. Where did you get your Mag? How long did you have it in quarantine, what type of clown fish did you order...
I bought mine from Blue Zoo almost2 months ago but when they were going to ship it they didn’t like how it was looking so they waited, and shipped me another one. They called and checked in to keep me informed about what was going on. I received it a week ago Friday. I put him in the QT and started Cipro for 7 days. This is my third one. The first I lost because I didn’t do enough research and placed him in the DT immediately upon arrival. The second I had for over a year, which my current Occellaris Clownfish lived in. I added a few fish and he must have got some bacteria off them and went down hill before I figured it out and I had to dispose of it. Should have taken him out and started Cipro but he would look great one day and bad the next and before I knew it, it was to late. So now I have this one and so far so good.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine from Blue Zoo almost2 months ago but when they were going to ship it they didn’t like how it was looking so they waited, and shipped me another one. They called and checked in to keep me informed about what was going on. I received it a week ago Friday. I put him in the QT and started Cipro for 7 days. This is my third one. The first I lost because I didn’t do enough research and placed him in the DT immediately upon arrival. The second I had for over a year, which my current Occellaris Clownfish lived in. I added a few fish and he must have got some bacteria off them and went down hill before I figured it out and I had to dispose of it. Should have taken him out and started Cipro but he would look great one day and bad the next and before I knew it, it was to late. So now I have this one and so far so good.
Nice.... this was my first Mag...always been pretty scared to keep them... I understand completely now, im also happy im better equipped on taking care of it.

Wildblue4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stayed in one spot for about 8 months then decided to move. Some people have kept them in the same spot for years. As long as light and flow stay the same they may never move, but that’s no guarantee.
as far as growing, mine grew fairly fast. Iv read if you don’t feed them they will grow at a slower rate. I liked to watch them eat and watch the clowns feed them. So again it’s up to you on how fast and big they will get. Mine probably grew by about a third in a year.
Hope this helps.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been in the same spot for 2 years. Has not moved since the day I put it in the tank. You'll know when they settle in, in my opinion because they will not move and will not do any inflation or deflation. If it looks healthy and stays in the same spot I would say it's pretty much settled in. Mine hasn't grown as quickly as others have mentioned but the tentacles have gotten much longer.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stayed in one spot for about 8 months then decided to move. Some people have kept them in the same spot for years. As long as light and flow stay the same they may never move, but that’s no guarantee.
as far as growing, mine grew fairly fast. Iv read if you don’t feed them they will grow at a slower rate. I liked to watch them eat and watch the clowns feed them. So again it’s up to you on how fast and big they will get. Mine probably grew by about a third in a year.
Hope this helps.
Thanks! I have not started feeding mine and not sure i will (Afraid of introducing bad bacteria?) I have heard about them moving so i prepared an island to hopefully minimize them wanting to move. The nem get plenty of random flow and plenty of light (AVG Par over 350+). Just curious about if its settled in..

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been in the same spot for 2 years. Has not moved since the day I put it in the tank. You'll know when they settle in, in my opinion because they will not move and will not do any inflation or deflation. If it looks healthy and stays in the same spot I would say it's pretty much settled in. Mine hasn't grown as quickly as others have mentioned but the tentacles have gotten much longer.
Thanks that makes me feel much better.... mine has stopped deflating since i finished the treatment and has only moved i think to better position itself on the rock...like a few centimeters and haven't moved since.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is still pale and recovering from infection/treatment/shipping. Look back over the pictures and see where some tentacles are darker than others on the tips.

This will take time and in my experience with H.magnifica can take as long as year to get fully acclimated depending on the severity of condition. Your's actually looks pretty good overall and should continue to get better over the next few months.

Looking at the pictures, as long as you dont have anything else going on, (IE no catastrophic equipment failures that go undetected for a lengthy period of time) I would say you should be completely out of the woods in the next two months or so. Having said that, your anemone already looks pretty good.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is still pale and recovering from infection/treatment/shipping. Look back over the pictures and see where some tentacles are darker than others on the tips.

This will take time and in my experience with H.magnifica can take as long as year to get fully acclimated depending on the severity of condition. Your's actually looks pretty good overall and should continue to get better over the next few months.

Looking at the pictures, as long as you dont have anything else going on, (IE no catastrophic equipment failures that go undetected for a lengthy period of time) I would say you should be completely out of the woods in the next two months or so. Having said that, your anemone already looks pretty good.
Thanks @Maxx I was just going to ask about that. So no more deflating but it does appear the anemone is changing colors? So you think in a few months the color will come back as long as everything goes well? I did want to verify its health based on how sticky it is....its pretty dang sticky..lol it has eaten a few times also.

1586117132353.png

1586117156345.png

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Good recovery too. I have not had a mag. but I have 3 haddoni and now 2 H. Malu. I also got 1 haddoni and both malus from AquaSD. I had to treat the haddoni and the larger malu, but expected as they ship hard. They are now happy and beautiful.
Yours is very nice. Cannot wait to see it in full color.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Good recovery too. I have not had a mag. but I have 3 haddoni and now 2 H. Malu. I also got 1 haddoni and both malus from AquaSD. I had to treat the haddoni and the larger malu, but expected as they ship hard. They are now happy and beautiful.
Yours is very nice. Cannot wait to see it in full color.
Thanks... i cant wait either. Aqua SD appears to have good inventory, i guess alot of these animals just dont ship well.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in color from day one until a year latter to compare. My new one looks about the same color as yours. The last picture is my new one.

49ABB652-A1B8-4712-BB4C-72017CEF9B6B.jpeg E4C88366-CFA7-4062-B988-A8420F19701F.jpeg 3310F92E-DB9A-4A93-9A08-269F8E4C03AD.jpeg
I love love love the color of yours. How long did it take for color to come back after getting it? I know mine isnt nearly as purple as it was when i 1st got it.

Back