OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding anemone is fine, as long as you feed them good food. They will grow much faster. Feeding bad food is bad for them. Silverside, being small, frozen hold with gut, can spoil really fast. Pet food does not get the care they should get many time. Often they thaw out during shipment and then refroze.
Most likely the OP Silverside were smelly, meaning spoiled. That was what make the anemone deflated. I am glad that this feeding did not kill him. I only feed my anemone what I have no problem eating myself. Many American, even Asian American, does not eat sea food, and do not know what sea food should smell like. I can tell you that good fresh seafood does not have smell, especially the smell we smell at the fish market.

No fish food or my anemones. Only human grade food.
Thanks for that i appreciate it the feedback. The only reason why i decided to feed was based on the conversation i had with the late great Mr. Fenner. I have heard stories of Mags shrinking and eventually dying.... My goal was to feed to the point where i felt like the nem was settled and growing. Silver-sides only came into the equation, when a piece from Rod's food came into contact with it, the feeding response was the most aggressive I've seen. I figured that what it wanted therefore thats what i decided to give it. Lesson learned for sure and im hoping that i didn't do anything detrimental to it.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a Sherman rose bubble tip anemone and it is 8+” long due to feeding a small piece of raw shrimp once a week from a grocery store. You do not have to feed it, but I wanted it to grow bigger. This made my anemone to never split and just kept on growing. Hope your Mag anemone does well!

Pics:

From my old tank (1 year old)
1659882F-F186-4668-96C8-56766A2C5A00.jpeg

Upgraded to a bigger tank (1 month old)
C3993FD0-BD2F-4107-8D2A-4099FAA948A9.jpeg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's only one frozen food that I use to feed my anemones -- LRS. It contains fresh chopped fish (that's been cleaned of innards), shrimp, roe, and other goodies. Since it's shipped direct to the LFS this means that it's less prone to the improper handling. When I could buy it directly from Larry and he shipped to my house, it was well packed and still frozen when I received it. I assume the same happens when the LFS receives their shipment and it goes right into their freezer.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood.... I know what im dealiing with..... these guys are in a different league than Bubbletips..... i have my colorado for years and its too the point know where im selling the daughter anemones to the local fish store..... if i feed it....within a week or so it splits.

1591295155323.png

1591295198584.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.... another update and a mini milestone:

After much research i decided to pull the trigger on a Purple Magnificent anemone from Aqua SD. March 7th, my journey with this amazing and very delicate animal began. Along with the challenge, i felt and continue to feel that i must do all in my power to ensure this animal not only survive, but thrive in my system. With that said in a couple of days, i will have reached the two month mark. I know for many that isn't a big deal, however knowing the abysmal survival rate of these animals, i consider everyday, week, month, and hopefully years a blessing. With that said here are some of the latest photos. These were taken about 5 minutes ago:

1588706764915.png

1588706861058.png

1588706889064.png

1588706819749.png

Just in case you where wondering what type of lights i have :cool::

1588706937839.png
Compared to these photos...

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's fine. Just give it a couple of days.

My carpet anemones looks like he's smaller after he eats sometimes and then it looks like it's dying when it poops

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrionN gave you some good info. He knows his stuff.
I only feed my H.magnifica either bycatch from feeding the tank or small strips of scallop I buy whole from the grocery store.

It looks fine and should recover.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrionN gave you some good info. He knows his stuff.
I only feed my H.magnifica either bycatch from feeding the tank or small strips of scallop I buy whole from the grocery store.

It looks fine and should recover.
Thanks! Going forward i will feed it grocery store seafood...two days from now marks the 3rd month in my possession.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The interesting thing is i dont think its hit its stride...i believe it will really look amazing once it does...
I understand, whenever I get a new anemone I watch it like a hawk and everything it does freaks me out. It probably is fine after 3 months if you're consistent.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, whenever I get a new anemone I watch it like a hawk and everything it does freaks me out. It probably is fine after 3 months if you're consistent.
Yeah...ive kept anemones for years...mainly BTA's. But holy cow...mag are truly on a different level.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The interesting thing is i dont think its hit its stride...i believe it will really look amazing once it does...

It hasnt hit it's stride yet.
And you're right, when it does, it will be stunning.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys educate me on how long it takes to hit it's stride and when that mark is? It would be good to know what to look for. I typically just stop watching them after a couple weeks. Thoughts?

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME,
the tentacles have lengthened and no longer short and stubby. The colors are brighter, (relative to the anemone), and the feeding response is distinct and dramatic.
Depending on the overall health of the anemone at the time it's acquired, it can take awhile, or not.
After several weeks, if the anemone is exhibiting good feeding response, I'd say you're pretty much out of the woods and can stop worrying about it.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME,
the tentacles have lengthened and no longer short and stubby. The colors are brighter, (relative to the anemone), and the feeding response is distinct and dramatic.
Depending on the overall health of the anemone at the time it's acquired, it can take awhile, or not.
After several weeks, if the anemone is exhibiting good feeding response, I'd say you're pretty much out of the woods and can stop worrying about it.
Got it thanks! I bought a ritteri from a local guy an hour away so its been doing well in my tank after a week. The tentacles are all long and it is sticky

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME,
I think it will look like this when its settled.

1591404766956.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back