My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where it's safe to own a tank anymore. We had heat waves with rolling power outages and hundreds of fires.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening family, long day today. Before i go to bed just want to give you guys another update. The nem is gaining size, and its noticeable. Still bleached but its starting to get its color back. There are a group of tentacles near the front that has gotten almost all of the color back. As far as food goes... im feeding the nem mysis shrimp. The clowns steal a few pieces but because of the amount the nem manages to get what it needs.

Its taking longer than i want....but cant rush right! LOL.... here are pix from today.

Also... hadnt notice any deflating what so ever....

1600231104616.png

1600231126307.png

1600231147839.png

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last set of pictures, the anemone looks great. The brighter the light, the lighter the anemone, otehr than the color tips. Very nice anemone.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last set of pictures, the anemone looks great. The brighter the light, the lighter the anemone, otehr than the color tips. Very nice anemone.
Wow, you are a legend in this space..... thank you! You dont believe the anemone will change color?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you are a legend in this space..... thank you! You dont believe the anemone will change color?
The anemone is partially bleached, some of the tentacles are whiter than other tentacles. I think he will be fine. Will continue to get darker I hope.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed something odd with my H.magnifica anemone today. 20 minutes after lights came on for the day, many tentacles were swollen in a way I'd never seen before:

full

full

full

full

It was back to normal within 30 minutes of those pictures.

But I've never seen this behavior out of this anemone or any of my others before, so I thought I'd share it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed something odd with my H.magnifica anemone today. 20 minutes after lights came on for the day, many tentacles were swollen in a way I'd never seen before:

full

full

full

full

It was back to normal within 30 minutes of those pictures.

But I've never seen this behavior out of this anemone or any of my others before, so I thought I'd share it.
He seem great to me. For anemone, when their foot inflated, you better watch out becasue they are walking. Sometime they inflate a little more or deflate a little, it this does not continue, I would not worry about it. Just the foot. One of these day, I will take picture and document this so people know what I am talking about.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen what you're talking about Minh. This is not walking "behavior", but I found it odd that the base of most of the tentacles were inflated/swollen, but the tips and the remaining tentacles were normal. The anemone looks "normal" today, and as I said, looked 'normal" within 20 minutes or so of me taking those pictures.

But I thought it might be worth documenting as "odd anemone behavior" for anyone else.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been reading up on this thread the last few days but can definitely relate to your Mag journey!

I also got mine back in February from Aqua SD which had been a "Tanked for Months" specimen, the anemone was fairly bleached in the photos, but not so much that it didn't seem recoverable. However, when the anemone arrived, it had bleached even further during shipment and I wasn't super hopeful about it's chances.

I didn't hospital/quarantine it, but put it on a high pedestal in my tank, and just let it be in the current. Thankfully it attached immediately which was a good sign to me! The next few weeks, it seemed to go through the motions, deflating a couple times, but managed to come through it and started to color up (like yours is now).

It basically went from 4" to 8-9" in 7 months, monthly feedings of prawn and broadcast from whatever the fish don't gobble up. It's currently only hosting a small colony of sexy shrimp and 2 anemone crabs. My Darwin Oscellaris pair won't budge from a colony of RBTAs on the other side of the tank, but they lay a clutch every 2 weeks so they seem happy!

I've also got mine under Orpheks with a Prime spotlight to supplement and 2 AI Neros for water movement.

This is how it looks today:

IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0614.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0612.jpg IMG_0609.jpg

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing how all of your nem journeys are progressing! I think they're gorgeous creatures, though I don't see myself getting one. Thanks so much for the lovely photos!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading up on this thread the last few days but can definitely relate to your Mag journey!

I also got mine back in February from Aqua SD which had been a "Tanked for Months" specimen, the anemone was fairly bleached in the photos, but not so much that it didn't seem recoverable. However, when the anemone arrived, it had bleached even further during shipment and I wasn't super hopeful about it's chances.

I didn't hospital/quarantine it, but put it on a high pedestal in my tank, and just let it be in the current. Thankfully it attached immediately which was a good sign to me! The next few weeks, it seemed to go through the motions, deflating a couple times, but managed to come through it and started to color up (like yours is now).

It basically went from 4" to 8-9" in 7 months, monthly feedings of prawn and broadcast from whatever the fish don't gobble up. It's currently only hosting a small colony of sexy shrimp and 2 anemone crabs. My Darwin Oscellaris pair won't budge from a colony of RBTAs on the other side of the tank, but they lay a clutch every 2 weeks so they seem happy!

I've also got mine under Orpheks with a Prime spotlight to supplement and 2 AI Neros for water movement.

This is how it looks today:

IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0614.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0612.jpg IMG_0609.jpg

Very nice and this give me hope...thanks for posting.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family i have a question.... how potent is the a healthy Mag sting? I know carpets are pretty potent and Bubbletips on the weaker end. I ask because feeding my Mag with tongs...i feel how sticky it is when removing the tongs.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica does not sting much, not very sticky. However, when they do it is fairly potent. Magnifica often wipe out tank other than clownfish when they get partially damage by PH just like Gigantea and Haddoni.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica does not sting much, not very sticky. However, when they do it is fairly potent. Magnifica often wipe out tank other than clownfish when they get partially damage by PH just like Gigantea and Haddoni.
Oooh ive heard of them wiping a tank, what do you mean by PH damage? When feeding it today... it felt very very sticky.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back