My Magnificent Sea Anemone Journey....

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! I'm not sure if this message was for me, but ill respond :cool:.I'm glad to hear your is doing well, any bleaching after? Mine is doing great...getting big but much of the same. For me it was a long hard road back.

1609338579742.png

Yep it was for you. It is looking good and looks like it got most of its color back. It has got some great color.

No bleaching with mine. I was not blasting it with light during quarantine so maybe that is why.
Started low and every few day turned the lights up a very little. Mine was in quarantine pretty long.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it was for you. It is looking good and looks like it got most of its color back. It has got some great color.

No bleaching with mine. I was not blasting it with light during quarantine so maybe that is why.
Started low and every few day turned the lights up a very little. Mine was in quarantine pretty long.
Lol score! Thanks.... trying to get a pro camera so the pix represent what i see. Overall challenging animal but well worth it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol score! Thanks.... trying to get a pro camera so the pix represent what i see. Overall challenging animal but well worth it.

I am at work and posted pretty fast. The first line of my post about having great color I was talking about your anemone not mine. Yours is looking really good.

Mine is dark and never lost color.

Yea I can not take pictures at all. I have like 4 filter kits for my phone and things rarely look like they should even with editing. I do not get it one shot looks perfect and the next colors are way off.

I had a expensive camera with a great lens and it still looked bad. I ended up selling it.
I am going to try raw next time. Thing is then you need some good photo software which cost money too.

kenziejlooft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update? How is yours doing?

I am going to say mine is officially out of the woods and doing really well.. No doubt cipro saved this one.
I highly suggest everyone quarantine magnificas even if you do not treat right away. Once in the reef they can be hard to get out. Most seem to have a infection.

Now the search is on for another different color.
Sadly it died I kept trying but I feel like the cipro didn’t help at all and made it worse because I was using maracyn and it looked great then the cipro came it looked not out of the woods so I used cipro as everyone suggested and it slowly started doing worse

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is doing great. Bright yellow tentacles and bright red column. I am really happy that I choose this one out of the 6 available anemones at Petco. I cannot quite capture the true yellow color of this anemone on camera. To me that t look a lot better but n real life.
60B35717-8966-4826-88EC-22A82D81BF82.jpeg

Under moonlight it really the yellow color really brightly florescent but impossible to capture.
Magnifica2020123101RedBaseYellowTipUnderMoonlight.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly it died I kept trying but I feel like the cipro didn’t help at all and made it worse because I was using maracyn and it looked great then the cipro came it looked not out of the woods so I used cipro as everyone suggested and it slowly started doing worse
Sorry to hear...these are very challenging anemones....cipro is lesser of two evils imo, but it can work.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey family I've sent a pic of my Mag balling up, it happened again! This time I was able to get it on video.

Nice and it is looking good still. Thanks to OrionN we were able to save ours and I hope people learn from what we did.

Mine is doing well too. Mine will ball up when I feed and makes my clown angry. Anemone has got pretty sticky.

Sad for me is I had two C-quest Onyx clowns and I had to separate them. I wanted this pair with my Mag . They were beating each other up so bad.
I really wanted two of them as a pair to breed too. I have paired tons of clowns and only once before had a issue. I had to remove him also because without a anemone to protect him the tank is a little on the aggressive side with anthias, chromis, angel and another damsel. Funny is my damsel is the most peaceful fish in the tank.

The last time I had issues I just figured the male has some sort of defect and the female did not want him as a pair. She bonded right away with the next juvenile. This time they both were really small so their is no way both were female.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next 'problem' will be that the mag gets too big LOL. I don't target feed mine, yet it puts on about 6" of diameter every year. I have, on two prior occasions, had to rehome them because they outgrew the tank. I concur with the conversation earlier about multiple different mag species. I had some that would split if you just looked at them wrong; others that grew huge and never would split. My current one is in the latter camp - at least 24" diameter.

FWIW, mine balls up pretty regularly.

file-75.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and it is looking good still. Thanks to OrionN we were able to save ours and I hope people learn from what we did.

Mine is doing well too. Mine will ball up when I feed and makes my clown angry. Anemone has got pretty sticky.

Sad for me is I had two C-quest Onyx clowns and I had to separate them. I wanted this pair with my Mag . They were beating each other up so bad.
I really wanted two of them as a pair to breed too. I have paired tons of clowns and only once before had a issue. I had to remove him also because without a anemone to protect him the tank is a little on the aggressive side with anthias, chromis, angel and another damsel. Funny is my damsel is the most peaceful fish in the tank.

The last time I had issues I just figured the male has some sort of defect and the female did not want him as a pair. She bonded right away with the next juvenile. This time they both were really small so their is no way both were female.
Awww sorry about your pairing issue. I bought my clowns as babies and they paired pretty quickly. Interestingly enough..i knew which would be the female from the very beginning.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next 'problem' will be that the mag gets too big LOL. I don't target feed mine, yet it puts on about 6" of diameter every year. I have, on two prior occasions, had to rehome them because they outgrew the tank. I concur with the conversation earlier about multiple different mag species. I had some that would split if you just looked at them wrong; others that grew huge and never would split. My current one is in the latter camp - at least 24" diameter.

file-75.jpeg
Nice! Mine doesnt for now.... i get pretty excited when it does.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

file-75.jpeg

Looks very nice. If it ever splits I would be interested :p .

My goal someday was to have a 3'x3' cube with a spire in the middle with multiple Mags and a ton of clowns I raised myself. My 120 will have to do for now.

Yea I want mine to grow huge and be the centerpiece for the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice. If it ever splits I would be interested :p .

I hope it does split soon. It's already engulfed a few SPS colonies. This is my favorite of all the mags I have ever kept (picture is color accurate). It's also the only one that released from its perch and got pureed. I've lost my fair share of corals and fish in my many decades in the hobby, but THAT was the worst one.

47190.jpg.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Family, just a few updates. Much of the same other than the size.....momma is getting big! Dealing with a bit of cyano, however I know the cause. My nutrients took a dive and when that happened... cyano. I've updated my nitrate dosage to 25ML per day...14ML was keeping me at 3ppm of nitrates and my corals are not happy at that level.... i try to stay around 10 - 12ppm. Phos also dropped....however i know what to add to the fish food to bump it so I've been doing that.

1611780981736.png

1611781009073.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family...well i would tell you time flys...but we all know this right. I waited one extra day just so i didnt jinx anything. Its been a year can you believe it!! One year and one day since i acquired my Mag anemone. I wont make this post long but lesson learned.

1. Do lots of research if you decide to keep one.
2. Be prepared to treat it (Not a guarantee but does help)
3. Not for beginners AT ALL
4. Feed it if it appears to lose size or tentacles.
5. Create an island for it to minimize movement
6. Have lots of light and lots of flow
7. Keep SPS quality water
8. Can grow fast, make sure you can accommodate its size

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you guys finding these anemones? I’ve been researching mags for a long time and have a spot planned out in my 240 for one once the tank is mature enough. The problem is I’ve pretty much never seen one for sale... I’m probably 6 months to a year out from getting one but just curious how y’all acquired them

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where are you guys finding these anemones? I’ve been researching mags for a long time and have a spot planned out in my 240 for one once the tank is mature enough. The problem is I’ve pretty much never seen one for sale... I’m probably 6 months to a year out from getting one but just curious how y’all acquired them

Yea there was a period where they were coming in but it seems to have dried up some but still see a few. I had my lfs order me some. Most can place a order for one with their orders. Never guaranteed to be in that shipment but eventually they will get one.

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there was a period where they were coming in but it seems to have dried up some but still see a few. I had my lfs order me some. Most can place a order for one with their orders. Never guaranteed to be in that shipment but eventually they will get one.
Makes sense given their difficulty that they don’t want to keep them in stock. Good to hear they can at least order them; I was afraid they were no longer available at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back