OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you’re still well with this Anemone Sdot!
video doesnt show up on my phone, so I’ll check back with the laptop to see how it looks currently.

good job man!
Thanks brother...although i ticked it off...not looking its normal self. I had a horrible outbreak of cyano...the worst ive ever dealt with so i used chemi-clean and while its effective after day 2 my corals do not have the awesome PE they had before and all of my anemones don't look happy. I just completed a partial water change and will be doing another tomorrow. I believe my system will bounce back, i think the toxins are in the water and its irritating everything. My skimmer has reddish skim-mate which confirms its pulling all of the dead cyano out.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next 'problem' will be that the mag gets too big LOL. I don't target feed mine, yet it puts on about 6" of diameter every year. I have, on two prior occasions, had to rehome them because they outgrew the tank. I concur with the conversation earlier about multiple different mag species. I had some that would split if you just looked at them wrong; others that grew huge and never would split. My current one is in the latter camp - at least 24" diameter.

FWIW, mine balls up pretty regularly.

file-75.jpeg

Your anemone's growth rate is interesting to me. I've been able to keep mine smaller by restricting food. When they got too big for my liking, I restricted food. If I wanted them larger, I fed more.

Mine got a little larger than 12 inches in diameter and it's now down to about 8 inches in diameter. My oldest anemone was never more than 14 inches in diameter until I handed it off to Nanook...it's now a beast at more than 24 inches in diameter. It's just a typical brown based yellow tipped H.magnifica, but the tentacles are longer and now pointed and average 2.5/3 inches in length. The yellow goes down 1/3 of the tentacles and is neon yellow. I've never seen the anemone look so good. It's currently sitting in a 500 gallon cube under 400 watt radiums.

I remember your previous H.magnificas, Ca1ore...it was beautiful.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anemone's growth rate is interesting to me. I've been able to keep mine smaller by restricting food. When they got too big for my liking, I restricted food. If I wanted them larger, I fed more.

Mine got a little larger than 12 inches in diameter and it's now down to about 8 inches in diameter. My oldest anemone was never more than 14 inches in diameter until I handed it off to Nanook...it's now a beast at more than 24 inches in diameter. It's just a typical brown based yellow tipped H.magnifica, but the tentacles are longer and now pointed and average 2.5/3 inches in length. The yellow goes down 1/3 of the tentacles and is neon yellow. I've never seen the anemone look so good. It's currently sitting in a 500 gallon cube under 400 watt radiums.

I remember your previous H.magnificas, Ca1ore...it was beautiful.
I agree with this completely. Initially i was told don't feed, but i noticed the anemone was losing size. I reached out to the late great Mr. Bob Fenner and he told me to feed. My thoughts are pretty much aligned with @Maxx, when i want my Mag to grow, i feed. When its starting to get too big i stop. One thing is very clear, if i don't feed it shrinks.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with this completely. Initially i was told don't feed, but i noticed the anemone was losing size. I reached out to the late great Mr. Bob Fenner and he told me to feed. My thoughts are pretty much aligned with @Maxx, when i want my Mag to grow, i feed. When its starting to get too big i stop. One thing is very clear, if i don't feed it shrinks.

Figured I would see how yours is doing still and a update on mine here since this is the only thread I posted mine on.?

Mine is doing really good and has got really huge.
I still think Cipro saved my anemone but it always was kind of blah after and still shrunk up sometimes after putting back in the display. After a while I started feeding. The color and the growth exploded on my anemone. He is larger than a dinner plate. I think feeding helped him recover faster after treatment. It wasn't till I started feeding that it really looked good.

Now I have a issue. I need to move him to a different aquarium coming up. I do not want any rock from his aquarium getting into the new tank otherwise it would be easy to move him. He is doing so well I am so afraid to move him.
I have had hundreds of anemones but moving this one scares me. The rock he is on is huge.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would see how yours is doing still and a update on mine here since this is the only thread I posted mine on.?

Mine is doing really good and has got really huge.
I still think Cipro saved my anemone but it always was kind of blah after and still shrunk up sometimes after putting back in the display. After a while I started feeding. The color and the growth exploded on my anemone. He is larger than a dinner plate. I think feeding helped him recover faster after treatment. It wasn't till I started feeding that it really looked good.

Now I have a issue. I need to move him to a different aquarium coming up. I do not want any rock from his aquarium getting into the new tank otherwise it would be easy to move him. He is doing so well I am so afraid to move him.
I have had hundreds of anemones but moving this one scares me. The rock he is on is huge.
Hey bro....so glad to hear your mag is doing well! I can say the same for mine. Mine has grown as well but for me I can easily controls the size by modifying its feeding schedule.

Regarding moving the nem... thats a tough one...the last thing you want to do is rip its foot. I heard ice could work ‍♂️?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey bro....so glad to hear your mag is doing well! I can say the same for mine. Mine has grown as well but for me I can easily controls the size by modifying its feeding schedule.

Regarding moving the nem... thats a tough one...the last thing you want to do is rip its foot. I heard ice could work ‍♂️?

It was more of a statement than a question that I am not looking forward to it.
I have moved large anemones by forcing them to move on to like a flat slick surface like a pain of glass or a plate.
Makes them easier to move. I just irritate them my removing lights for a while also removing or adding flow.
Mags really like things almost perfect most of the time and if not they move. Getting them move in the direction you want can be hard. Reducing light usually makes them move up. To much flow makes them move away.
Flow is hard for mags in my opinion because they like allot and to much can damage them. Fine line for them.
If I can even get them partly on I usually can message the rest of the foot off.
Doesn't always work but does some of the time.

I like my mags really big, for me that is the point of mags. It is impressive to have a large one in a big aquarium.
I know gigs get big but for me they look better on the smaller side of things. Mags just look more impressive with longer tentacles when large.

I had a huge a really crispa once and lost him in a move so I am paranoid now. Still kills me to have lost him.
I thought I had all the rock he was attached to but he still was attached to another rock and when I went to lift him out he tore his foot a little. Never recovered, I just wonder if cipro would have worked. Wasn't really known about at the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous!!!
Any chance you can post a pic under whiter light?
1st and foremost, thank you!!! Please see attached....fyi my tank is pretty white-ish if i had to guess around 14k... i think the camera makes things appear far more blue than what they are...but there is a pro mode!!! Lol see below. They were taken literally just a moment ago.

20211120_170243.jpg

20211120_173654.jpg
20211120_171322.jpg

Last edited:

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to be an envious person but sometimes it's difficult...JK. That's actually inspiring, a mag is on my list!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to be an envious person but sometimes it's difficult...JK. That's actually inspiring, a mag is on my list!
Awww thanks bud...its been a journey to say the least. I don't recommend Mags unless you are fully prepared to address their various and sometimes unrelenting needs. They are beautiful but there are other easier choices.

With that said took another video;

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awww thanks bud...its been a journey to say the least. I don't recommend Mags unless you are fully prepared to address their various and sometimes unrelenting needs. They are beautiful but there are other easier choices.

With that said took another video;

Agreed and have a quarantine tank available and some cipro.
If you are not willing to do it leave them in the sea. They are not one readily available in the hobby captive raised like BTA's. It does happen but very rarely. Matter of fact even wild ones are now kind of rare.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family, this was taken today....all is well

20211119_161654.jpg

20211119_161658.jpg

20211119_161652.jpg
Looks great, my bigger one has been balling lately a well where historically it has spread out wide. I believe lowering one of my lights is the cause. They are now both located directly under each of my Kessils led pucks. Where before when it was higher or under my AI 52hds they would try to stretch out as much as possible.

As far as feeding I find they can use the help of food until they hit a certain size then can maintain and grow on light and whatever they capture, but until that point without spot feeding will shrink.

No cipro for me either yet, I bought some but haven’t used it. Going on 7 months or so.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little update on mine. I will just post it here since this is the first thread I showed mine off in trying to save it.

This is what it looks like now:

By the way it was just moved into this tank so it is only about 1/2 way inflated. about the size of a dinner plate now.
Pic at the bottom is what it looked like sick.
Colors really changed.

anemone.jpg
20220102_140005.jpg

Origionally posted in this thread:
1641931644591.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day family, this was taken yesterday....i also did a rough measurement.....the Mag is easily over 12 inches in diameter (Camera has a way of shrinking things... its big). The male clown is tending to the eggs... they laid a new batch, 2 days before.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back