My Marine Molly Community

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know whether this was asked or not but do you have to QT them before you add them to a saltwater tank. Im assuming no since freshwater ich would die in salt.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know whether this was asked or not but do you have to QT them before you add them to a saltwater tank. Im assuming no since freshwater ich would die in salt.
I think some people use them like canaries... they have no immunity to salt water pests, so you can find out if you have any. Likewise... I think it is assumed if they come from freshwater, they can't get your saltwater fish sick. You could still QT them just to see how they do in your SW.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt quarantine them. I did some research before hand and from what I read (that made sense), Freshwater parasites/diseases are highly unlikely to survive going from fresh almost immediately into full marine. Like a very intense salt dip.
What you do notice when adding them from Fresh into Salt is that almost immediately they seem to **** alot. I guess thats them purging/clearing their systems and their internal organs adapting to the change in salinity.
They really are amazing, and hardly little fish.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think im going to toss 4 of them in my sump
why not. See how they do. They are excellent little cleaners. They even keep the surface of my substrate turned and always looking white and fresh. They seem to pick and rummage alot on the sand as well as the rocks.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent had them for that long but they seem to be packing on size

Black molly 1.jpg
black molly2.jpg
molly marine community.jpg

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using for flow? wanted try mollies but most posts i found said they couldnt handle flow.

I dont know my gph but I have quite strong flow, my return pump is set high and I have two tunze streamers on opposite side of eachother. I can keep both sps like Acros and lps like Euphyllia happy so moderate I would say.
my Mollies where flying around like crazy the first days but they do adapt to the flow. :)

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried this a few times now and haven't had any make it past the week mark. It seems they can't handle the flow in the display and even in a lower flow area they just ended up dead. I tried long acclimation, short acclimation, and no acclimation. Would love to put some in my lagoon as the babies would just end up as trigger food.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man oh man!!!!!!! you are in for it XD

When they start dropping fry they don't stop! lol

Mollies are awesome and congrats on the new setup, you are making me want to get them again. But if I do, it will be all females... I can't stand the male's constant mating behavior or the magnitude of fry that coed populations produce.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what exactly do u feed them after the algae is all gone? I want to get 2 but not sure if they eat thr pellets and brine etc i feed my other fish
They will eat almost anything. I feed the normal small hikari marine sinking pellets twice a day, and they graze on algae in between that. I keep my lights on for long periods of time too to encourage more algae growth.
I also sometimes hold in a piece of anchovy/shrimp/mackerel etc (left overs from feeding my asian arowana) which all rush to pick at.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I gotta ask...why not just fill the tank with fresh water?
I was waiting for this question haha. Because I love seeing all the hitch hikers and various organisms I get when collecting stuff from the beach. I put in algae which the mollies love, and I especially enjoy watching crabs. I have counted about 12 I have in there now, a big boy who likes to move around rocks and eat shrimp, to smaller little filter feeding ones that sit atop the rocks catching pieces of whatever floats past. I have a few small mussels which have started growing on the rocks too. I have three sea slugs, quite small but all of them seem to have disappeared.
I also like the look of marine algaes. So the mollys just added a splash of colour and movement to the water column, keeping the glass and things clean while also adding character, and I could see how they grew/developed in a marine environment after a few generations.
At some point I am sure I will add some clowns or something. or I wanted to see if I can catch some of little fish down at beach and see how they do in my tank. Making it sort of a biotope thing. With mollies lol.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man oh man!!!!!!! you are in for it XD

When they start dropping fry they don't stop! lol

Mollies are awesome and congrats on the new setup, you are making me want to get them again. But if I do, it will be all females... I can't stand the male's constant mating behavior or the magnitude of fry that coed populations produce.
Yes there sure is alot of fry, but I enjoy watching them too. If things get to over crowded I might get a predator like mentioned earlier in the thread. Who knows. Ill wait and see.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back