My Marine Molly Community

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 2 Mollies in my reef tank for a year and a half. I originally bought them because i was concerned about an Ich outbreak, but they were such good algae eaters I left them.
They’re model citizens, and never bother any corals (I have SPS, LPS and softies). They reproduce about every 45 days, so I also have a small 10 gal tank with fry in them. I haven’t been great at keeping the fry alive, (they don’t survive in my DT with all the other fish, pumps and powerheads) but the current batch are about 30 days old and looking good.
If you’re thinking about putting them in a sump, beware... they will eventually find their way into a protein skimmer or your return pump... I tried just leaving them there and they were gone in a week...

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the saltwater mollys? Did you add any other critter to the tank?
Everyone is doing well, I have a few babies that have grown to about 1/3 rd of their adult size, but a lot of babies don't make it/get sucked up by intakes.

I haven't added any new fish, just other stuff from the beach. Found a few more sea slugs in the substrate (not sure if they are sea slugs but that's my closest guess), couple more crabs have appeared, loads of smaller filter ones that sit atop the rocks, and a dark purple/pink one. One of the stone crabs is now the length of my thumb.

Not very exciting, but things are going well :)

I keep my instagram more timeously updated with pics and vids on these things :) mattybecks.utsuri

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just an update on the marine molly aquarium - everyone is doing well, the mollies are getting big and have some colouration. You can see the blue tint the white ones have in their finnage and scales.

managed to get some videos of the mixed colour fry, (white, black and orange/yellow).

IMG_20210406_171759.jpg
IMG_20210406_171800.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice eel, love how he eats out of your hand. Molly's are fearless. Or clueless.
They were a little cautious/curious when the eel was first introduced, but they soon got over it and now seems to ignore him. Besides trying to steal pieces of shrimp out the eels mouth. Im very surprised the eel seems to ignore them.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sailfish molly in my refugium. He's been there for about 4 months now and I appreciate his algae eating to keep my fuge clean. He shares the 30 gallon fuge with a YWG who is growing bigger before he will be added to the display reef.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back