My Midas Blenny look ill?

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantined this dude for 2 months: copper, metro, prazi...

Been in our display tank for about 5 months. Today, he looks a little "off". Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...his face looks a little sunken...

He eats, but usually devours and has that midas blenny swimming sway...

I dont know see what you think. Everyone else looks peachy keen!

Mg 1380
Dkh 9.3
1.025-6
Nitrate 5
Phos not detectable on salofert
Ca 440
Temp 38.4

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantined this dude for 2 months: copper, metro, prazi...

Been in our display tank for about 5 months. Today, he looks a little "off". Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...his face looks a little sunken...

He eats, but usually devours and has that midas blenny swimming sway...

I dont know see what you think. Everyone else looks peachy keen!

Mg 1380
Dkh 9.3
1.025-6
Nitrate 5
Phos not detectable on salofert
Ca 440
Temp 38.4

Ah, it is really skinny and looks like it is starting to become weak. I don't know why, but many Midas blennies get this way. I've lost a number of them to this. It is easy to say "internal parasites" and it may well be that, but it also could be that this species has a problem with food malabsorption, like its diet in the wild is sufficiently different that what we feed them in captivity that they just don't thrive long term. Personally, I've stopped acquiring them due to this issue......

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience has been similar to Jays and I wonder since they mimic anthias if they also need frequent feedings like them throughout the day.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, it is really skinny and looks like it is starting to become weak. I don't know why, but many Midas blennies get this way. I've lost a number of them to this. It is easy to say "internal parasites" and it may well be that, but it also could be that this species has a problem with food malabsorption, like its diet in the wild is sufficiently different that what we feed them in captivity that they just don't thrive long term. Personally, I've stopped acquiring them due to this issue......

Jay
Awe. I knew he looked different. I really hope he pulls through.

Thanks for replying!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for replying!
As @Tamberav said, feeding multiple times a day, as much as it will eat each time is really the only course of action. Hi fat food like mysids can help. Avoid frozen brine shrimp. Medicated foods are often suggested, but they are really difficult to dose properly, and then, we don’t have a clue what parasite it might be, or even if it is one.
Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks for replying!
If he is eating, I had a midas that looked like that, in that state and condition. Soak pellet foods or flake food in selcon and blend it with chopped up shrimp. You can add what ever foods you like, mysis, squid, muscle. Place in plastic freezer bag and squish it down to a thin layer. Makes it easy to break apart for feeding time. Made mine fat and happy. Also, those clowns are fast and out competing the guy for food. If he will take target fed foods, even better.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back