My Monti and Anacropora are Peeling

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very frustrating - but every few days I lose a couple of random pieces - the skin just peels off.

Any suggestions on what could be causing it? I have several aquariums plumbed in with similar light schedules and while acropora are primarily ok, I did lose a few pieces of red dragon (while needle in the haystack is totally fine). My water parameters are here:

Have you seen this in your experience?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very frustrating - but every few days I lose a couple of random pieces - the skin just peels off.

Any suggestions on what could be causing it? I have several aquariums plumbed in with similar light schedules and while acropora are primarily ok, I did lose a few pieces of red dragon (while needle in the haystack is totally fine). My water parameters are here:

With the flesh lifting in this manner, some causes are:
High salinity
High temperature
High calcium
High nitrates
Insufficient lighting
Too much flow

check for any nudibranch around them

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it just that tank where bleaching is occurring or are you seeing it in all? Since params are good, would look at stray voltage, contaminants, metals, rusted magnets, etc.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have strong flow in this tank, like an MP40 blowing over at 80% in reef crest.
Just measured copper - but it is at 0.05, so unlikely.
Temperature is stable at 77. Salinity is at 36.
Nitrates are averaging at 5.
Calcium - will check today.
And lighting is giving them about 120-150 PAR for 10-12 hours per day.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just that tank where bleaching is occurring or are you seeing it in all? Since params are good, would look at stray voltage, contaminants, metals, rusted magnets, etc.

I see it in two different tanks that are plumbed into the same water system (4 tanks in total), only seem to happen to some species of corals - if I take my undata monti from another aquarium and place it here - it is guaranteed to peel within a week, sometimes only a day later.
I plan to do an ICP test on Sunday and give it a week until I get results back.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters looks just fine to me. Have you dosed or used anything to combat algae or to drop Phosphate levels?
Vibrant, LaCl, GFO?

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters looks just fine to me. Have you dosed or used anything to combat algae or to drop Phosphate levels?
Vibrant, LaCl, GFO?
No, nothing at all. I usually do not run GFO and use carbon sparingly.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do notice is that my copper has shown 0.05, 0.02, 0.00, and 0.04 on 4 consecutive testings.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah copper checkers are useless at low levels that can harm corals. Get an ICP test done.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I have seen my SPS lose flesh and peel was water temp and ALK too low.

Are these losses localized in the tank?
I get these in another small tank that is plumbed into the system as well. So I'd say it is more species focused and not tanks.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triple check your salanity and your other parameters and make sure you have a decent level of mag. When I had red dragon it was always a canary coral for me. Maybe double check your temp and make sure there is no stray current as well. It’s normally something very simple and going back to the basics and keeping things simple is always the best approach when something is off.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old are the test kits? Double check them against a locals tests to see if you get the same thing.

Salinity refractometer got me good, it was brand new and no matter what, it said I was good to go..

Mike

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are the test kits? Double check them against a locals tests to see if you get the same thing.

Salinity refractometer got me good, it was brand new and no matter what, it said I was good to go..

Mike
Test kits are all fresh, I do spend a fair bit of time testing.

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triple check your salanity and your other parameters and make sure you have a decent level of mag. When I had red dragon it was always a canary coral for me. Maybe double check your temp and make sure there is no stray current as well. It’s normally something very simple and going back to the basics and keeping things simple is always the best approach when something is off.
Any good way to check for stray current?

OP
OP
aquaticlog

aquaticlog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested freshly mixed salt (after I've cleaned the vat, made sure I use an ecotech pump to move water and use 0.00 copper in RO water) - it now reads 0.02 ppm. So looks like some is still present, which does not appear to make a lot of sense.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested freshly mixed salt (after I've cleaned the vat, made sure I use an ecotech pump to move water and use 0.00 copper in RO water) - it now reads 0.02 ppm. So looks like some is still present, which does not appear to make a lot of sense.
I think Miami Reef already told you the checker is no good at low levels. There are actually a few threads on this scaring people.
Post #8 is RHF saying the same.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just quick observation, your phosphate is quite low at 0.03. I made observation some time ago that I kept loosing monti and anacropora when phosphate was that low or I had sudden decreased in phosphate. Level between 0.05-0.1 works better for me. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back