LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright its been 100% decided.
Ordered some ceramic discs. Tearing out all this sand and crushed coral and going back to racks but this time large disc's that can serve exact same purpose. Ill still have the white back drop to make the tables alot less boring. And tons of surface space.
Something has been off since I went this sand and crushed coral route. Not to mention the ease of cleaning and maintaining racks.
My shrooms just did better on the plugs on the racks idk why but they for sure did.
Also talked to the wife. I have 2 tables im not even utilizing.
Going to be looking to add a bunch more shrooms.
Way high up on the list is Electus bounce, Godspawn, Hobbit, PowerBall, A few crazy purple Electus and Jawbreakers.
Going to be hitting up @Reefer1978 for some of his gear as he has alot of that old school stuff that i want in my collection.
As well as a cpl unreleased bounce shrooms that ive been approached about.
Anyhow tried to snap a few pix today.
Can't stand looking at this dirty crushed in the back ground!
Mama Minecraft that I thought i killed but slowly making a come back :)
20201017_110709.jpg

Some other stuff
20201017_110739.jpg
20201017_110620.jpg
20201017_110536.jpg
20201017_110504.jpg
20201017_110445.jpg
20201017_110442.jpg
20201017_110420.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more shots from around the tables:)
Baby Deadpool. The wife found it was about as big as a ballpoint pen a month ago. She took it and glued to one of her favorite rocks. I believe that's superman disco right above it.
20201017_114303.jpg

Few Randoms of some slow growers.
20201017_114222.jpg
20201017_114214.jpg
20201017_114331.jpg

Baby Neptune
20201017_114134.jpg

Non mushroom related but cool hitchiker I got on one of the gulf rocks. Digging the green polyps behind red back drop:)
20201017_114317.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great - thanks for the tag now I can follow :).

Sand and any substrate can be a PITA to keep clean, that's for sure. Algae scrubbers do wonders to keep tanks clean. I am running without a skimmer for 2 years already.
Thanks bro glad to have you along!
Funny you mention scrubber as I was thinking about doing something earlier. Did you DIY or have one to reccomend?
Thinking about adding as well as yeah im removing all the sand and crushed coral. Im seeing alot of clean reefs utilizing the discs on racks. Im handling my corals much than they like with the daily cleaning for sure.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks bro glad to have you along!
Funny you mention scrubber as I was thinking about doing something earlier. Did you DIY or have one to reccomend?
Thinking about adding as well as yeah im removing all the sand and crushed coral. Im seeing alot of clean reefs utilizing the discs on racks. Im handling my corals much than they like with the daily cleaning for sure.

I am actually using 302 aquatics - the company no longer exist but the scrubber work. I have an extra one if you need, as I just broke down my reefer a few months ago. They are not hard to make at all if you decide to go DIY rout.

I do like to keep gravel in for the shrooms, especially if they detach. But cleaning for sure is not enjoyable. What annoys me the most is detritus that's stuck there even with the smallest sand bed. Shrooms do like it tho, so can't complain.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually using 302 aquatics - the company no longer exist but the scrubber work. I have an extra one if you need, as I just broke down my reefer a few months ago. They are not hard to make at all if you decide to go DIY rout.

I do like to keep gravel in for the shrooms, especially if they detach. But cleaning for sure is not enjoyable. What annoys me the most is detritus that's stuck there even with the smallest sand bed. Shrooms do like it tho, so can't complain.
Thanks bro I may take you up on that. Probably going to grab a cpl shroom boxes from you as well.
Yes i am keeping sand and rubble in sump for these regular jawbreakers that don't want to stay attached. I have dipped them in cipro and left them alone to attach they are just finicky and do not like to be handled. I may do away with them altogether but its kind of a challenge now! I think with the changes coming they will settle in though.
Whats your experience and thoughts on jawbreaker?
The only one I have that is worth a crap is the green one.
Been in my system since cycle ended! And through all the ups and downs since!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks bro I may take you up on that. Probably going to grab a cpl shroom boxes from you as well.
Yes i am keeping sand and rubble in sump for these regular jawbreakers that don't want to stay attached. I have dipped them in cipro and left them alone to attach they are just finicky and do not like to be handled. I may do away with them altogether but its kind of a challenge now! I think with the changes coming they will settle in though.
Whats your experience and thoughts on jawbreaker?
The only one I have that is worth a crap is the green one.
Been in my system since cycle ended! And through all the ups and downs since!

I am still experimenting with JBs and haven't cracked the code. My latest experimentation is with flat surfaces. The foot seems to prefer it to curvy edges on rubble / reactor media. Momma was detached for a few months, placed her on a disc and boom, within a week she's attached and happy.

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like Xmas everytime I get a new baby.
Big shout out to @jlines for this amazing electus. Super healthy and digging my system already.
Also happy to say I found new home for the Jawbreakers. Im certain they just didn't like my higher nutrients im running. I'm sure they will do better in a much more solidly established, stable system and can't wait to see them in a month or so!

Cant wait to see this electus next to my Green Poletti!

20201018_171229.jpg

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those BRIGHT red ones in the group pic? Also, that new one is niiiice!!
Do you think the lower flow in the shallow tables is causing the substrate problem?
Upper right is Ultra Aussies. Bottom right single is Deadpool momma.
And yes unequivocally. I'm raising my racks for better bottom flow underneath.
I'm feeling like I get plenty of cross flow through the equalizers but we'll see. If I have to put a nano wave maker in each tub I'm going to.
Don't think it will be neccessary though.
Main goal is proper flow throughout system and upgraded CUC that works better for my system.
Need to see how it plays out first.
Where you asking about the ones in upper right?
If so they get huge and just spit babies everywhere lol

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that Deadpool, the color is outstanding! Why am I asking? Bc I’ve been waiting for your tank to flourish since you started it so I can place an order! :) ;Woot

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving the shrooms!!

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think you’re not on my radar too ;Woot

Hahaha yes @Reefer1978 has a few im going to be adding to the collection as well. Matter of fact I want the whole collection lol

Anytime Trigger ill let you know when she drops another baby. The wife snatch up her last one and glued to her favorite rock.
I'll send you a baby of the super bright red aussie with it. Have plenty of those.

You know the system is pretty much stable and has been for months now.
Everything was fine when I had them on racks. They defientely preffered the ceramic over crushed coral not sure why maybe it was better surface.. Was just a pain with the small plugs and cutting babies out of them. But clean up was a breeze. Switch out rack with clean rack and vacuum and done.
Not sure why I never thought about discs or tiles. I could have achieved the exact same thing and let them roam.
Anyhow discs hace been shipped this morning and should be here anyday.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a journey, always changing and learning. That’s the fun! I’ve still only got one lonely blue shroom in my display. No babies and it’s only gone from a pencil eraser to nickel sized. I’m trying to hold off on these big $$ shrooms until I know they will be ok.

Back