My name is Debbie and I am new to the group, I have a question I hope can be answered

Shebabeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pistol shrimp and Goby for two years, they were constantly together, but for the last 3weeks there has been no sign of the Goby. Would the Goby have died? and if it has could you introduce a new one. Since the Goby has disappeared the shrimp hardly comes out anymore.

OP
OP
S

Shebabeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to Reef2Reef.
It is possible that the goby died. Sorry for your loss. There shouldn't be a problem to replace the goby. Just make sure that the goby is compatible with your pistol shrimp.
Thats a shame to think that has happened, but thank you for you reply, will seriously consider getting one before the weeks out.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a pistol shrimp and Goby for two years, they were constantly together, but for the last 3weeks there has been no sign of the Goby. Would the Goby have died? and if it has could you introduce a new one. Since the Goby has disappeared the shrimp hardly comes out anymore.

Hi Debbie and Welcome!

I'm Lisa. Sorry for your loss, if it actually died. I'd recommend double checking your overflow, etc because maybe it got scared and jumped into somewhere (got stuck). My neon blue goby has gone back into my overflow... the first time we found it was after 4+ months... at the moment I'm just dropping sinking pellets into there hoping it eats (it survived somehow for months). Next time we get it out, I'm putting in an acclimation box to fatten it up as its waif thin from living in overflow (again... grrr). Just FYI neon blue gobies have a 2 year lifespan; you don't mention your goby type (or did I overlook - oops)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site! and really sorry, with 20+ fish under care in 3 tanks, my goby is a buddy, and sure it hurts for you.
Two years is a good long time, but feels like not long enough.
I had a pair of neons for a year and one day one of them disappeared and we both still miss it.

Suspect that if your LFS has the species you had, or a known bonder it should not be an issue. better yet if they are in a same tank with a shrimp and are showing bonding.

1632771783431.png

OP
OP
S

Shebabeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Debbie and Welcome!

I'm Lisa. Sorry for your loss, if it actually died. I'd recommend double checking your overflow, etc because maybe it got scared and jumped into somewhere (got stuck). My neon blue goby has gone back into my overflow... the first time we found it was after 4+ months... at the moment I'm just dropping sinking pellets into there hoping it eats (it survived somehow for months). Next time we get it out, I'm putting in an acclimation box to fatten it up as its waif thin from living in overflow (again... grrr). Just FYI neon blue gobies have a 2 year lifespan; you don't mention your goby type (or did I overlook - oops)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
Thank you for all the information, I have searched all over the tank, ( as much as I can of course), even the overflow, nothing to find. It was a prawn Goby, will start a build thread, looking forward to being in the group and exchanging information, also getting some good advice.

OP
OP
S

Shebabeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site! and really sorry, with 20+ fish under care in 3 tanks, my goby is a buddy, and sure it hurts for you.
Two years is a good long time, but feels like not long enough.
I had a pair of neons for a year and one day one of them disappeared and we both still miss it.

Suspect that if your LFS has the species you had, or a known bonder it should not be an issue. better yet if they are in a same tank with a shrimp and are showing bonding.

1632771783431.png
Yes I am definitely going to look into getting another this week, and hopefully it will bond with my shrimp.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back