My name is Nick. I’ve been on your forum since yesterday.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard! We could always use another veteran reefer on this forum. You will love here.
Veteran Welcome.gif

OP
OP
nick0206

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone who left good reviews.
It’s good when the reef is thriving. But I would like to talk about failures.
When 4 years ago, due to poor-quality sea water, the whole system collapsed, it was decided to abandon natural sea water in favor of synthetic.
Then I visited the house of my friend with a fantastically beautiful SPS reef based on the Korallen-zucht system.
It was decided that I want such colors for my new reef. A month later, I was on vacation in Germany and drove into Korallenzucht and saw everything with my own eyes.

There, a starter kit for the coral system was purchased. In another store, 2 T5 lamps were purchased, 4 lamps each (a total of 8 lamps).
3 years of failure. Not a single forum and none of my friends could understand the reason.
After placing the test frag, the first 2 to 4 weeks passed perfectly, the polyps were all open, then necrosis suddenly began and within a couple of days a white skeleton remained from the coral.
Tests on my water showed that everything was fine with the water, it means something with the equipment.
One of the friends suggested that this is most likely due to electricity in the water. It was difficult for me to check this, so I replaced all the pumps in my tank, but that did not save me.
I decided to switch to another system - Tropic Marine. But here I was waiting for the same failure with a couple of fragments obtained for the test.
In October last year, when I was ready to give up, my son, knowing how much I love this hobby, invited me to speak with my guru, the owner of one of the shops, the dealer of Korallenzucht, for the last time.
After thinking, he pulled out the ground from his demo aquarium and gave me a try. That helped!!! But RTN began on some of his corals. He urgently had to return the ground probe to his tank.
Later they told me that the source of electricity in the water is a lamps, and that was the only thing that I did not change. By the way, the lamp was Chinese, as I later understood with a weak starting transformer.
If this information helps someone, then I will be glad.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm Nick.
I have been in our hobby for 13 years. Replaced several aquariums and systems.
Started with 18 gallons with 4 T5 lamps and soft corals (mushrooms, parazoanthus, xenia and sea anemones. Without a skimmer and no filtering, on weekly changes of 20% water.
But I could not contain stony corals.
HPIM1828_1.jpg

Second 25 gallon tank.
Water from the Mediterranean Sea (diluted to the desired salinity), Deltek skimmer, refugium with haethamorpha, 120 watt Chinese LED lamp and the vodka method, well, 20% weekly change. For a long time everything was fine, until, due to, apparently, the quality of sea water, the system collapsed.
Third tank (current).
26 inch cube tank with sump. Total volume 75 gallons.
- T5 x 4 - Aquatic-Life.
- Kessil A360UW with a controller.
- TMC Aquabeam 1000HD with DIY replaced LEDs.(was only blue and white. Replaced Cree new generation LEDs (Cool White, Blue, Royal Blue, Hyper Red and UV)
- Skimmer from Korallen-zucht.
- 2 x Ecotech MP10 Pumps
-2 x Tunze 6055
Salt and denitrification according to the Tropic Marine system. With daily compensation of KH and calcium from ESV.
The system was launched 13 months ago. All things grows. With the addition of Kessil, everything began to grow 3 times faster (Bravo Kessil).
If until mid-September, dosed 10 ml daily ESV, now 30 ml. daily.
Animals.
Fish
- 3 Chromis
- Blue Powder Tang
- yellow zebrasoma
- Zebrasoma welferum
fire shrimp
7 peppermint shrimp (yes, and I have a problem with aiptasia)
More than 20 frags of Acropora, Stylophora, Montiporas, Birdnest and Pocillopora.
Akans, Gonioporas, Elegans coral, Duncan, Frog spawn, Hydnopora, Scolymia, Blastomussa, Favia (dragon soul), Chealce, Lepastrea, Cypastrea, Candy Cane, Lobophilia and Ricordea.
Most SPS small frags.
There are some pics of my tank
aqua_3.jpg
aqua_4.jpg
aqua_5.jpg
aqua_6.jpg
aqua_7.jpg

aqua_2.jpg
dang you got a lot going on. Very cool colors. Very nice

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm Nick.
I have been in our hobby for 13 years. Replaced several aquariums and systems.
Started with 18 gallons with 4 T5 lamps and soft corals (mushrooms, parazoanthus, xenia and sea anemones. Without a skimmer and no filtering, on weekly changes of 20% water.
But I could not contain stony corals.
HPIM1828_1.jpg

Second 25 gallon tank.
Water from the Mediterranean Sea (diluted to the desired salinity), Deltek skimmer, refugium with haethamorpha, 120 watt Chinese LED lamp and the vodka method, well, 20% weekly change. For a long time everything was fine, until, due to, apparently, the quality of sea water, the system collapsed.
Third tank (current).
26 inch cube tank with sump. Total volume 75 gallons.
- T5 x 4 - Aquatic-Life.
- Kessil A360UW with a controller.
- TMC Aquabeam 1000HD with DIY replaced LEDs.(was only blue and white. Replaced Cree new generation LEDs (Cool White, Blue, Royal Blue, Hyper Red and UV)
- Skimmer from Korallen-zucht.
- 2 x Ecotech MP10 Pumps
-2 x Tunze 6055
Salt and denitrification according to the Tropic Marine system. With daily compensation of KH and calcium from ESV.
The system was launched 13 months ago. All things grows. With the addition of Kessil, everything began to grow 3 times faster (Bravo Kessil).
If until mid-September, dosed 10 ml daily ESV, now 30 ml. daily.
Animals.
Fish
- 3 Chromis
- Blue Powder Tang
- yellow zebrasoma
- Zebrasoma welferum
fire shrimp
7 peppermint shrimp (yes, and I have a problem with aiptasia)
More than 20 frags of Acropora, Stylophora, Montiporas, Birdnest and Pocillopora.
Akans, Gonioporas, Elegans coral, Duncan, Frog spawn, Hydnopora, Scolymia, Blastomussa, Favia (dragon soul), Chealce, Lepastrea, Cypastrea, Candy Cane, Lobophilia and Ricordea.
Most SPS small frags.
There are some pics of my tank
aqua_3.jpg
aqua_4.jpg
aqua_5.jpg
aqua_6.jpg
aqua_7.jpg

aqua_2.jpg

Nice tank!... Welcome Nick to the R2R Family…Great to have to have you

Explore…Learn…Share

3Y0.gif

OP
OP
nick0206

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I heard about an interesting fact. A classic of bureaucracy.
The Red Sea is a reserve and so there is no poaching in pet stores, species typical of the Red Sea in the Eilat region are prohibited for trade, for example, lion fish, seahorses, sea urchins, starfish, etc.
Recently, lion fish fell into the Middle Sea (along the Suez Canal) and began to breed. You can catch it with fishermen, but you cannot trade in stores. Classic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back