My new 65g rimless AIO reef tank

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first standard sized reef tank. I decided to go with a JBJ 65g rimless AIO aquarium. The base rock was once fiji live rock from my old nano tank from 10 years ago that I had to shut down when I went to college. The live rock I ordered from Sandy Bottom Reef and it is absolutely gorgeous! It is full of sponges, barnacles, and different seaweed species. My favorite is the red branched looking one. It has been cycling for several days now. I added Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria the day I added some rock, and also got some copepods and phyro from my LFS. Current equipment is 2x AI Primes, JBJ digital sensor and thermometer, 15g Innovative Marine ATO reservoir and Aqua Duetto ATO. The two return pumps that came with the tank seem sufficient for now (2x 530 gph). I have 4 chambers in the back to add things to. I ditched the filter media that came with it and will probably add 2 filter reactors and an internal skimmer. I might add a refugium down the line since I still have lots of space in my cabinet.

20210615_172352.jpg 20210615_183759.jpg 20210615_183601.jpg 20210616_171227.jpg 20210611_162347.jpg 20210615_172744.jpg 20210615_183908.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is Sandy Bottom rock collected?

Consider an unlit “cryptic refugium” with live rock. This will support pods, but more importantly, it will grow cryptic sponges which are huge processors of dissolved organic carbon (DOC), much more so than granulated activated carbon (GAC) or protein skimmers.

Can you show a picture of your favorite red macro with white light

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the 65 gal jbj? I have been considering it but Ive heard the quality ia subpar, especially the stand. Lmk how you like it.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of ornamental seaweeds. I recently got 100lbs of Gulf Live Rock to seed in four separate systems. One rock I got was full of Bryozoan, sponges and tunicates as well as so much more diversity of micro fauna & fana. In less than four months, three different & (from my point of view) very desirable red macros have covered the rock. Apparently, the coral reef would be algae dominated if it not for herbivores and grazing fish. You should treat your reef tank the same way..

I have been Reefing for 50 yrs and 4 months ago I started up two very simple ornamental seaweed mixed garden lagoons. I find that I enjoy planted tanks and recently got into water gardening with a 2000G fresh water system of water lily in ponds and bog plants like Louisiana IrisI as a vegetable filter to remove nutrients in water Lilly koi pond. Similar to a macro refugium.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the 65 gal jbj? I have been considering it but Ive heard the quality ia subpar, especially the stand. Lmk how you like it.
The stand seems to me to be decent good quality for this model. It's very sturdy and have had no problems with it . It has a protective glossy polyurethane coating. Also came with a black padded foam mat to place on the top which was nice.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Consider an unlit “cryptic refugium” with live rock. This will support pods, but more importantly, it will grow cryptic sponges which are huge processors of dissolved organic carbon (DOC), much more so than granulated activated carbon (GAC) or protein skimmers.

They say that they collect it 30 miles off of Key Largo in the Gulf of Mexico. I actually transplanted most of my red gracilleria into my "quarantine tank." Will post more pics soon

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of ornamental seaweeds. I recently got 100lbs of Gulf Live Rock to seed in four separate systems. One rock I got was full of Bryozoan, sponges and tunicates as well as so much more diversity of micro fauna & fana. In less than four months, three different & (from my point of view) very desirable red macros have covered the rock. Apparently, the coral reef would be algae dominated if it not for herbivores and grazing fish. You should treat your reef tank the same way..

I have been Reefing for 50 yrs and 4 months ago I started up two very simple ornamental seaweed mixed garden lagoons. I find that I enjoy planted tanks and recently got into water gardening with a 2000G fresh water system of water lily in ponds and bog plants like Louisiana IrisI as a vegetable filter to remove nutrients in water Lilly koi pond. Similar to a macro refugium.
I love that idea! I transplanted the gracilleria, Mexican caulerpa, and halimerda onto frags in a 20g quarantine tank. I like the idea of macroalgae dedicated tank though! Might consider that in the future.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So I ended up adding a refugium/sump because the only skimmer on the market that would fit in my rear chamber was the Tunze 9012 Comline. I also wanted the advantage of a larger refugium space, more oxygenation for biopellets (2 bags of Marinepure 1.5" Spheres), and equipment upgrades in the future. It was fairly simple to add with a Eshopps PF-300 overflow box and a Sicce 1.0 Syncra return pump I have ulva and chaeto with Miracle mud substrate and I'm running an IM Auqa Gadget Chaetomax 9w refugium LED. Absolutely love the light! It is extremely powerful for the small size ( 9 x 4" spread) and has a full spectrum of reds!

Attachments

• 20210717_191634.jpg
    20210717_191634.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 68

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Like the sump idea. Im
Leaning towardsgetting one of these tanks I know. Good to hear your input on the stand.

how much did the jbj with stand cost in total and where did you purchase it from?

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning towardsgetting one of these tanks I know. Good to hear your input on the stand.

how much did the jbj with stand cost in

how much did the jbj with stand cost in total and where did you purchase it from?

total and where did you purchase it from?

$1380 before tax from Marine Depot.

$1380 (before tax) from Marine Depot. BRS is selling them now for $1500

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to pull the trigger and upgrade my lighting system to two Radion XR 15s with sliding mount because there are too many shadowed/ dark spots with the Primes.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to pull the trigger and upgrade my lighting system to two Radion XR 15s with sliding mount because there are too many shadowed/ dark spots with the Primes.
That should be plenty of light if not more than enough. I am running a hydra 32 on my jbj 45

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So I ended up adding a refugium/sump because the only skimmer on the market that would fit in my rear chamber was the Tunze 9012 Comline. I also wanted the advantage of a larger refugium space, more oxygenation for biopellets (2 bags of Marinepure 1.5" Spheres), and equipment upgrades in the future. It was fairly simple to add with a Eshopps PF-300 overflow box and a Sicce 1.0 Syncra return pump I have ulva and chaeto with Miracle mud substrate and I'm running an IM Auqa Gadget Chaetomax 9w refugium LED. Absolutely love the light! It is extremely powerful for the small size ( 9 x 4" spread) and has a full spectrum of reds!
Typically, the most economical use of wattage to growth is 4 reds to 1 blue, which I use in macro refugiums and for vegetable seed grow out lights. However when I want to see health of macro, I use white light around 5K.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a major decision. Since I already bought a 18 gal sump and am using a Eshopps Pf-300 overflow and Sicce Syncra retuen pump, I have decided to get rid of the AIO fitting. I have successfully removed the black acrylic panel. Now I am trying to remove the glass dividers glued by silicone to the rear glass panel. They are proving to be very difficult to remove. It took me several hours to remove half of them using a Kobalt utility knife.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my 65 gal is no longer an AIO. I painstakingly removed the glass baffles using a utility knife and paint scraper. My reasons for doing this were 1: the compartments were too difficult to clean and 2: I wanted more room in the display tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back