My new 800g+ pentagon FOWLR tank

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: This past week we have been working on the columns. We start with a black PVC core and add coarse sand to the outside. We then add a layer of fine sand and cut a 4" x 4" Marco rock caps for the top and bottom. We drilled a 2" hole in the Marco rock so the entire column is hollow. It will lay on the sand (black) for the eels. Lastly I added some corner pieces of Marco rock to give it more of an ancient column look.

We are using the technic where we apply layers of GlueMaster super glue , then sand, more glue, more sand etc. It works great. The sand and glue literally create a mortar like substance that gets hard as a rock (pun intended :cool: ). I use the "heavy" glue for the coarse sand and the "thin" glue for the fine sand.

I've attached a few images here.

I have some fine tuning to do with the column and then have to make many more to create our design. The first four columns will lay on the surface of the sand. Two will be broken apart and two will be whole to create the 30" cave. The next four will create a structure of sorts for the ends of the tank. I am playing around with the idea of including a tomb or sorts between the columns for a fish hideout (for the smaller fish).

This next week I hope to begin the wall structure. I will do some testing this evening.
column4.jpg
column3.jpg
column2.jpg
column1.jpg

Steve
Very cool ! ! !

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out of supplies for the columns so I decided to start working on the wall and arch structure. There are seven sections to the wall and seven arches. The images show the first arch, most of the first wall section and the beginnings of the second wall section. They are crazy angles but thats what the actual Palmyra structure looks like. I am trying to be as close to scale as possible. Of course I am leaving some swim-throughs in the wall for the fish and water flow. The overall structure will be approx. 4' wide, 34" tall and about 24" deep.

I continue to use the superglue/sand technique and loving it. The images attached represent about 12 hours work.
arch1.jpeg
arch1.jpeg
arch2.jpeg
arch3.jpeg
arch3-2.jpeg
arch4.jpeg
arch5.jpeg
arch6.jpeg
arch7.jpeg
arch8.jpeg
arch9.jpeg
blocks.jpeg

Steve

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Early days yet, but do you have any preliminary ideas in terms of livestock?

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Early days yet, but do you have any preliminary ideas in terms of livestock?
I have a fish wish list. I will be sharing as I go. I did manage to obtain a Banana Moray. He's at my LFS and I will be setting up a temp tank for him. I may be getting one or two more before the end of the month. I will get a pic the first of the week. he is already eating and looks great. From Brazil and about 15" long.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I had to travel this week so did not get much time to work on the rock wall. However I am almost done the first (of three) wall sections. This section forms a triangle with three arches. I need to add about 6" to the bottom and finish reinforcing the joints. I will also do some final grinding to smooth out any rough edges. It has a number of swim throughs and the structure itself serves as a bit of a refuge. It is about 20" tall currently and about 18" long and 12" deep. It is HEAVY. All built with Marco Rock and Glue Master industrial superglue. It should be done in another week or so although it supposed to get rather cold next week and I do the grinding outdoors so that may present a problem.
image8.jpeg
image7.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image6.jpeg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you’re putting some serious detail into this.. nice work. Can’t wait to see the progression

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FIRST WALL SECTION COMPLETE! I finished the left wall section tonight. Tomorrow I will start the right section. Grinding the sand/glue really helped blend everything together. I am hoping the next section goes a little faster. :). Here are some images of the completes section. Lots of fun spaces for the fish! And.... I have my first fish on hold at the LFS. I will be setting up an 125g observation tank next week and bringing him home while he waits for the DT. its a 14" banana moray!
image0-1.jpeg
image1-1.jpeg
image2-1.jpeg
image3-1.jpeg
image4-1.jpeg
image6-1.jpeg

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to start the second wall section yesterday. And I have nearly run out of Marco rock so need to get get more! 400 lbs and counting! I also was ale to place the structures on the floor where the tank is going. This gives me a good idea of the size and proportions. Today I have to finalize my drilling hole pattern for Derek at Miracles. And my observation tank should be arriving this week weather permitting. Lots of snow and cold today!
image4-2.jpeg
image3-2.jpeg
image6-2.jpeg

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, meant to ask what you would stock with (not stick). Typing too fast. :)
I am a huge fan of the porcupine puffer so that would for sure be in the tank I would also do a pink tail trigger, naso tang, purple tang , a wrasse or two and an eel or lion fish of some sort. I have only had small tanks before so I don’t know if that would work but those are my favorite fish and I think they might work. That is just my preference.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of the porcupine puffer so that would for sure be in the tank I would also do a pink tail trigger, naso tang, purple tang , a wrasse or two and an eel or lion fish of some sort. I have only had small tanks before so I don’t know if that would work but those are my favorite fish and I think they might work. That is just my preference.
Cool. I have a dogface puffer, crosshatch pair, purple tang, nano blonde pair, bird wrasse pair and banana eels on my list as well. Staying away for the lion fish although I have had one before. just don't want to fuss with the live feeding.

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I have a dogface puffer, crosshatch pair, purple tang, nano blonde pair, bird wrasse pair and banana eels on my list as well. Staying away for the lion fish although I have had one before. just don't want to fuss with the live feeding.
Sounds great can’t wait to see it done I will be following and hopefully some day have one for myself.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chance to work on the aquascape for the first time in two weeks. The cold and power outages took a toll on many Texans. Fortunately we didn’t have too many issues but our offices were closed for a week. My heart goes out to so many Texans who lost their aquarium livestock.

Last week I set up a 125g tank I will use as an observation tank. Plus I snagged my first fish, a Golden Banana Moray and wanted to bring him to the office. I used live rock to skip cycle the tank. I have a few pics below. He’s doing great and will be the first edition to the DT when ready. I named him Rio.

Today I started another wall section. Doesn’t look like much now but it all starting to come together. This week we will also be working on the columns.

More to come...

CA5C8331-12D4-492D-8C98-D59C82CBB0E1.jpeg
76BF968C-4E8C-41A5-B8EA-B45C5083D78D.jpeg
8471AFBD-4EF5-4227-881C-0FC5DFE801D5.jpeg
DFD583B4-653E-4181-AA19-E551B385DADF.jpeg
754C810E-11CE-4D18-8867-DAAB6FF25B75.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back