OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along can't wait til it's wet.
That’s the big question. When will we put some water in it!?!

I think my staff members are going to start making bets! I want to put a few inches of water in when I have the closed loop done so I can check that portion of the plumbing before filling all the way to the overflows. And then I’ll fill the dumps and test all the bulkheads Installed and the skimmer and UV filter.

I’m actually getting more nervous the closer I get! There is so many fittings to potentially leak!!!

thanks for following along

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like DNA. I work with John and he has been more than fair. I have him let me know when he is acquiring local tanks for like new equipment of even fish. And Mike will set up my Apex. He is the best. I have purchased a number of fish from DNA, including my three Banana Morays.

I have found a great resource for more specialty fish at School of Fish in DeSoto, TX. The owner is named Lee. Have you heard of them? Lee is also the best!
I just picked up a rarely seen fish from a breakdown (I offer local services in Fort Worth for coral/macro/pod/phyto, set up, breakdown, maintenance), it is a gorgeous Lamarcks Angelfish. This guy was in a sweet old woman’s tank for 10ish years, is over 8 inches long with 2+ inch streamers. He was in a mostly mushroom/zoa tank and these don’t nip like most species of Angel.I have him currently in QT/observation. after reading this thread I thought I’d throw you some pics and a Video in case you would be interested. This fella is too big for my largest display (120 with a massive 9 yo purple tang) or I’d keep him myself!

51495979-97C3-4F4D-BFEF-C0D0DE94A8E2.jpeg

5A0845F7-3F71-4488-B256-FB373ECDB788.jpeg
either way I want to come check this monster out! I love these documented builds.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a rarely seen fish from a breakdown (I offer local services in Fort Worth for coral/macro/pod/phyto, set up, breakdown, maintenance), it is a gorgeous Lamarcks Angelfish. This guy was in a sweet old woman’s tank for 10ish years, is over 8 inches long with 2+ inch streamers. He was in a mostly mushroom/zoa tank and these don’t nip like most species of Angel.I have him currently in QT/observation. after reading this thread I thought I’d throw you some pics and a Video in case you would be interested. This fella is too big for my largest display (120 with a massive 9 yo purple tang) or I’d keep him myself!

51495979-97C3-4F4D-BFEF-C0D0DE94A8E2.jpeg

5A0845F7-3F71-4488-B256-FB373ECDB788.jpeg
either way I want to come check this monster out! I love these documented builds.
Wow. Nice Angel. Never seen a Lamarck that large. Yes I would be interested. Would go nicely in the new tank.

You can send a PM.

Would be curious if she housed it with smaller less aggressive fish. And if was aggressive toward any tank mates.

Thanks for thinking of me

Steve

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Main plumbing complete! Thank God for holidays. :)

I managed to finish the main plumbing this week. In review I have...

2 sumps tied together with a pump, in between, feeding an over-sized portion skimmer.
There are three pumps in the open system, one for each sump and a third for the skimmer.

I have two closed loops, each with their own pump. One also feeds the 120 watt UV Sterilizer.

I am also going to plumb a 6th pump (adjustable DC pump) to feed a sand vacuum system that feeds back into the sump.

With the help of one of my employees "Mr. Lee" we began to install some of the aquascape. Most of it is done. We have two more sections to finish and the final to build. I actually created a lot more sections than I originally planned to give the fish more hiding and exploring spaces. I probably border on it being too busy, but I really see, with my temp systems, how much the fish love to explore and need their safe places.

This week I will also begin to install all the PCV pipe for the wiring. I don't think it will take long as I am planning on NOT gluing these pieces. Simply friction fit.

I really need to get the rock work in place before testing for leaks as I prefer not to be in and out of the tank once I start wet testing. :cool: With a few inches of water I can test everything but the overflows.

I have my water lines run for the auto top off and auto water change. And I have the RODI system installed and four 200g tanks for making / holding fresh and salt water.

I am letting an expert install the Apex system. I just want to make sure everything is working fine before scheduling him.

I also have over a dozen fish, in 5 different temp tanks waiting to go into the DT. I am seeding quite a bit of Pond Matrix now to put in the sumps. Some of these temp tanks will serve for my QT tanks after the fish transfer.

In one sump (refugium) I also create a deep bed with low water flow to serve as a de-nitrate bed. I have not seen this idea used much and wondering how it will work. Hopefully the science is right.

In the second sump refugium I plan to grow Ulva. I feed it to my Tangs and Angels now and they love it.

Still a ways to go, but excited to be making progress! Thanks for following along.

Steve

IMG_2029.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg
IMG_2013.jpg
IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg
IMG_2018.jpg
IMG_2020.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg
IMG_2023.jpg
IMG_2025.jpg
IMG_2027.jpg

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this an amazing build! I can’t wait to see it finished!

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious why you went with reeflo pumps. I used to have one and had to get rid of it. It was really noisy. My stand was also open so I heard a constant whine. You have 4 in what seems like a office space.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your business open to the public? I was visiting Austin last month and thought about stopping in but didn’t know your business name. I think you mentioned you were in Dallas.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like DNA. I work with John and he has been more than fair. I have him let me know when he is acquiring local tanks for like new equipment of even fish. And Mike will set up my Apex. He is the best. I have purchased a number of fish from DNA, including my three Banana Morays.

I have found a great resource for more specialty fish at School of Fish in DeSoto, TX. The owner is named Lee. Have you heard of them? Lee is also the best!
I too am in Dallas (Southlake to be exact)... I have a 300g+ system and am a fan of DNA...
I know exactly which banana eels you bought as I was looking to buy the same ones.

Your build is absolutely amazing and I'm fascinated by the aquascape. I truly appreciate your OCD and the need to make sure that everything is perfect... I can completely relate.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious why you went with reeflo pumps. I used to have one and had to get rid of it. It was really noisy. My stand was also open so I heard a constant whine. You have 4 in what seems like a office space.
Thanks for following along. Reeflo was recommended and the recited seemed decent. Honestly I just had to go on that basis as I really didn’t know that much myself. I probably could have done more research. However I did plug one in yesterday and was impressed with the low noise level. I have them on foam pieces. They are actually quieter than I thought. I have 5 total so when they are all running it may be a different story!

And yes I am in an office space so some of the ambient noise of the tank is well acceptable.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your business open to the public? I was visiting Austin last month and thought about stopping in but didn’t know your business name. I think you mentioned you were in Dallas.
Yes I am just north of Dallas in Richardson. We are not open to the public but we welcome any visitors :)

just let me know when you are in the area.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am in Dallas (Southlake to be exact)... I have a 300g+ system and am a fan of DNA...
I know exactly which banana eels you bought as I was looking to buy the same ones.

Your build is absolutely amazing and I'm fascinated by the aquascape. I truly appreciate your OCD and the need to make sure that everything is perfect... I can completely relate.
Did you see John just got a new banana eel in at DNA? It looks great! Lots of crisp black spots. He sent me a video of it last night. Also School of Fish just had two baby ones in stock. Cute as could be. I wanted them but I have enough on my hands right now! lol. But they would be an incredible pair together. John’s is more the young adult size like I bought from him last season. Let me know if you get either of them.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very impressive. Your attention to detail in every aspect of this build is amazing and it inspires me to do a better job on my systems.
Thanks so much. It does look a little better in the pictures. lol

but I am trying to make all the components as artistic as possible. I’ve been working on my office for over a year. The tank is naturally my current focus but I have a free more things left to complete the overall space. Actually not sure it will ever be done. :)

thanks for following along

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see John just got a new banana eel in at DNA? It looks great! Lots of crisp black spots. He sent me a video of it last night. Also School of Fish just had two baby ones in stock. Cute as could be. I wanted them but I have enough on my hands right now! lol. But they would be an incredible pair together. John’s is more the young adult size like I bought from him last season. Let me know if you get either of them.
I was out there on Mon to pick up a hospital tank (20% EOY sale!)... must have come in on the Tues shipment. Kuhen told me that they were getting one in. I might have to go out there and check it out later today, or even better, give SOF a try.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out there on Mon to pick up a hospital tank (20% EOY sale!)... must have come in on the Tues shipment. Kuhen told me that they were getting one in. I might have to go out there and check it out later today, or even better, give SOF a try.
Yeah they are both great options. If my wife would have agreed I would have set up a small system to hold the two babies SOF has. They were so cute. However I think my wife and I have a different opinion of cute! LOL

I need to get out to DNA to get another QT tank myself while 20% off!

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WATER IN THE SUMPS!

I put water in the sumps this week to test the bulkheads and protein skimmer. The good news is that the skimmer pulled and returned nicely from both sumps! Of course I have gate valves to also control the intake and return. But with everything wide open, it was almost perfectly balanced. That was the good news.

The BAD news was I had four leaks. The first was at a union but it was an easy fix as the o-ring was missing.

The second leak was at the pump return. The challenge was I had to use a threaded nipple and the nipple is not tapered enough. So when I tightened, it easily went all the way to the end of the treads. I added an extra amount of teflon tape and it seems to be fine but I am nervous it will still give me issues. It was a brand name so not sure why it didn't work better. Ideas?

The other two leaks were at the bulkheads. They are hard to tighten as I have the nuts inside the tanks and it is very hard to get to. I could have put the nuts on the outside of the sumps but it would not have looked as clean.

I also learned it is important to tighten the bulkheads first before securing the other plumping so it doesn't pull the bulkheads out of alignment and/or pinch the gasket.

And my biggest frustration is I used low quality bulkheads. I really regret doing this. I used schedule 80 high end bulkheads on the tank and now which I had used them all the way around. Or at least I wish I had used better quality. My bad for sure. I have spent so much on all the components and kicking myself for buying cheap bulkheads from my LFS. Lesson learned!

However when I let the office last night there were no leaks. I am not at the office this morning and hopeful that all is well. The staff will let me know if there is a flood! LOL

I am wanting to place more of the aquascape before testing the closed loop sections. We placed three of the sections last night. It is really busy and intricate but gives the fish lots and lots of swim-throughs and hiding places. There are NINE columns total in this section with dozens of swim-throughs.

And these sections are tucked away in the back "triangle" section of the tank leaving plenty of open swimming space in the front. Again I decided to go the extra mile in providing plenty of areas for the fish to explore and feel safe.

Here are a few pics of the tank with more of the aquascape in place. I have two more pieces ready to go in and then the final three sections which make up the center piece and goes in front of everything currently seen in the images below.

Steve

IMG_2046.jpg
IMG_2045.jpg

Back