my new baby... AKA The Café

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay brain trust, Got a local buddy who doesn't forum but needs some help outside of my expertise. (Cyano)

We set up the tank about a year ago with new live sand, existing live rock and marine pure blocks that have been cycle for many years.

5 ft. 150 gallon running 3 AI Hydra 32's that are two years old. There is Plenty of flow across the sandbed.

N03 stable at 10-12
PO4 stable at .07-.1
Running appropriately sized UV

Homie has been battling Cyano (red slime) for months. It is Only present on the sandbed. Never on the rocks. Vacuuming it out in clumps and it returns the next day.

Done two chemiclean red treatments which only helps for a short time but does not eradicate it. The slime is back in full force shortly after treatment.

I've never delt with or had to battle cyano.

Any thoughts on the problem and ways to tackle it would be appreciated.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lost in the Sauce what sand sifters does he have?
Sifter heavy. 5x fighting conches, sand sifting star, bunch of nassarius snails. The sand bed is not compacted at all.
He can try adding silicate to encourage diatoms to outcompete the cyano.
Say you dose silicates, it out competes the cyano then continue the use of GFO to pull the silicates out killing off the diatoms. What keeps the cyano from reemerging?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sifter heavy. 5x fighting conches, sand sifting star, bunch of nassarius snails. The sand bed is not compacted at all.

Say you dose silicates, it out competes the cyano then continue the use of GFO to pull the silicates out killing off the diatoms. What keeps the cyano from reemerging?
Biodiversity helps outcompete cyano. Try adding some mud as well as silicates. I swear by that mud.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay brain trust, Got a local buddy who doesn't forum but needs some help outside of my expertise. (Cyano)

We set up the tank about a year ago with new live sand, existing live rock and marine pure blocks that have been cycle for many years.

5 ft. 150 gallon running 3 AI Hydra 32's that are two years old. There is Plenty of flow across the sandbed.

N03 stable at 10-12
PO4 stable at .07-.1
Running appropriately sized UV

Homie has been battling Cyano (red slime) for months. It is Only present on the sandbed. Never on the rocks. Vacuuming it out in clumps and it returns the next day.

Done two chemiclean red treatments which only helps for a short time but does not eradicate it. The slime is back in full force shortly after treatment.

I've never delt with or had to battle cyano.

Any thoughts on the problem and ways to tackle it would be appreciated.
Only time i have ever had cyano was due to spectrum issues with lighting as it was able to outcompete all other forms of "algae" nutrients look good, and i am assuming stable. is he running more blue or white. my issue arose from having t5 bulbs that were more than 18 months old, i swapped the bulbs and cyano was gone within a short period of time, i also had good flow like he does. i always look at 3 factors, food (nutrients), flow, and spectrum when trying to eradicate algae.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time i have ever had cyano was due to spectrum issues with lighting as it was able to outcompete all other forms of "algae" nutrients look good, and i am assuming stable. is he running more blue or white. my issue arose from having t5 bulbs that were more than 18 months old, i swapped the bulbs and cyano was gone within a short period of time, i also had good flow like he does. i always look at 3 factors, food (nutrients), flow, and spectrum when trying to eradicate algae.
We're in the same boat as far as normal diagnosis line. He's running more white than blue, but still a decent mix.

I told him to turn off the white channel for a few days and continue sucking it out. Wondering if the white diodes have shifted spectrum enough.
does he dose any pods?
Not that I know of but has a large cryptic fuge and with a healthy wrasse population, they wouldn't stay in high numbers for long once they hit the Display

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup Cronies? What's the quickest most effective way that yall have found to remove heavy metals from the water column? I've done all the water changes my system can take and going to have to go to plan B.
@Lost in the Sauce its crazy you mention cyano as it was the 1st thing that popped up to let me know i had an issue which turned out to be a rusty razor blade stuck to a frag rack magnet. Has he sent a sample in?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup Cronies? What's the quickest most effective way that yall have found to remove heavy metals from the water column? I've done all the water changes my system can take and going to have to go to plan B.
@Lost in the Sauce its crazy you mention cyano as it was the 1st thing that popped up to let me know i had an issue which turned out to be a rusty razor blade stuck to a frag rack magnet. Has he sent a sample in?
Not recently and metazorb in a fluid reactor I think is the fastest way possible, sans water changes.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue, I just know it has worked for some...

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rusty magnet leach hit me hard on my old 75 but got some nasty hair algae that refused to die! As soon as the magnet was out, single dose of Flux Rx and the algae was "Peace out Home Skillet" after a couple of days once the iron was depleted.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty magnet leach hit me hard on my old 75 but got some nasty hair algae that refused to die! As soon as the magnet was out, single dose of Flux Rx and the algae was "Peace out Home Skillet" after a couple of days once the iron was depleted.
I seen your post and have been looking really close at my rack magnets. I'm probably going to switch mine out to hang on style. I haven't ran any tests or sent any samples and just winging it now hoping I can remove whatever may be hanging in there. My mag hasn't moved below 1350 with water changes and creeps back up all on its own is how I've been guaging things so idk. Gonna probably have to run a cpl cycle with metazorb

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I seen your post and have been looking really close at my rack magnets. I'm probably going to switch mine out to hang on style. I haven't ran any tests or sent any samples and just winging it now hoping I can remove whatever may be hanging in there. My mag hasn't moved below 1350 with water changes and creeps back up all on its own is how I've been guaging things so idk. Gonna probably have to run a cpl cycle with metazorb
Good luck! Hoping it works out beautiful! Since you've already eliminated one source (hopefully the only source) it should deplete.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Been a while since I've played so #TorchTuesday!
IMG_20230606_171236896.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone doing? Whats everyone up to just got done having a movie marathon with the wife and daughter pitch perfect....and i must say wasnt so bad but def. Chick flick lol.....now on to planning the weekend and trying to get some things done and figured out. Hope yall have a good night keep on keepin on.... @Lost in the Sauce i year good things about silicate dosing and out competing had a local buddy go through cyano and beat it with silicate dosing. Ill give him a shout and see how he did it and shoot you a text.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How is everyone doing? Whats everyone up to just got done having a movie marathon with the wife and daughter pitch perfect....and i must say wasnt so bad but def. Chick flick lol.....now on to planning the weekend and trying to get some things done and figured out. Hope yall have a good night keep on keepin on.... @Lost in the Sauce i year good things about silicate dosing and out competing had a local buddy go through cyano and beat it with silicate dosing. Ill give him a shout and see how he did it and shoot you a text.
what is a good source of silicate?

Back