my new baby... AKA The Café

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then. I bow to the collective knowledge lol

And ask, what’s a good, hardy (for a leopard), species I should take a look at?
Hold on you have bare bottom? If so leopards are a no go. They need sand to sleep and hide when stressed or startled.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the masses. You need @SaltyT

I'm regurgitating his prior information but blue star leopard?
My little experience they are hardier for leopards. Ornate little more aggressive and hardier. Blue stars do ok put in full strength copper power. Any wrasse does ok in copper I say it’s hardy.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold on you have bare bottom? If so leopards are a no go. They need sand to sleep and hide when stressed or startled.

the bare bottom is my temporary holding tank for live rock and the corals that a friend threw my way.

I have a 120 I’m in the final steps of building. It will have sand.

asking for the future basically. Not getting any sort of wrasse until the 120 is up and running.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little experience they are hardier for leopards. Ornate little more aggressive and hardier. Blue stars do ok put in full strength copper power. Any wrasse does ok in copper I say it’s hardy.
I've yet to lose a wrasse in a copper treatment.... Knocking on all wood in my woodshop....

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bare bottom is my temporary holding tank for live rock and the corals that a friend threw my way.

I have a 120 I’m in the final steps of building. It will have sand.

asking for the future basically. Not getting any sort of wrasse until the 120 is up and running.
Awesome and congratulations! I didn’t have much time but quick scanned your thread lol.
With wrasse it can be hit and Miss but where you buy will really impact your success! Looks like a few places qt now but can tell you TSM aquatic is great place for leopards. Mine ate pellets, frozen, nori and after his qt they are the strong ones to survive.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lfs or mail order. Biggest problem with leopards are they ship poor and can be hard to get eating prepared foods.
do you feed frozen or pellets? Frozen will be easier. If you can make sure they eat at lfs and leave them there a couple weeks your success got way greater
Ornate, blue star, meleagris is the more hardy ones.
I highly recommend buying from a place who holds fish or qt’s. If they keep them alive and eating you should be good.
Also smaller young wrasse tend to be more hardy and deal with shipping and acclimate better to new tank

Oh and great taste. Leopards love made me want less fairy and flashers. Once acclimated they are pretty hardy for a wrasse.

gotcha, thank you!

once I’ve got my pods going and have some understanding of where the system settles as far as params are concerned, I’ll get my leopard. Actually torn between blue star and ornate.

thanks again!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to lose a wrasse in a copper treatment.... Knocking on all wood in my woodshop....
That’s awesome! You don’t think blue star is hardy for a leopard?

gotcha, thank you!

once I’ve got my pods going and have some understanding of where the system settles as far as params are concerned, I’ll get my leopard. Actually torn between blue star and ornate.

thanks again!
If you loose one don’t give up! Ornate probably more hardy then blue star.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random spam

Attachments

• 16384981746108523332837913549578.jpg
    16384981746108523332837913549578.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 14

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! You don’t think blue star is hardy for a leopard?
I'm ignorant on the matter. I've been looking for a month or so to buy three of them. I was just tagging onto your statement that they do well in copper. That's good.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local source you say? I'm having trouble locating a pair or maybe three blue stars.

the good LFS had a good blue star last I was there. Saw it eat. Had sand in the tank. Good weight. Idk.

it’s not fool proof but I figure I’ll give my LFS guy a try.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the good LFS had a good blue star last I was there. Saw it eat. Had sand in the tank. Good weight. Idk.

it’s not fool proof but I figure I’ll give my LFS guy a try.
For sure. I've got my top 3 shops on the lookout for a trio for a month. All go to the distributers weekly. None have seen any.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ignorant on the matter. I've been looking for a month or so to buy three of them. I was just tagging onto your statement that they do well in copper. That's good.
Do ok in copper for wrasse. That said many wrasse tend to not tolerate copper and you seem to have luck.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. I've got my top 3 shops on the lookout for a trio for a month. All go to the distributers weekly. None have seen any.

yeah. That blue star is actually the first and only leopard I’ve seen in person.

I just trust this LFS. It’s actually where I got my choco. Yeah, I know he died suddenly. But as healthy as he was from day one I can’t blame them.

but also. They actually had a blue star. So yeah lol

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do ok in copper for wrasse. That said many wrasse tend to not tolerate copper and you seem to have luck.
I fish finished a qt cycle with a female pintail flasher and male mckoskers last week.

A few cycles ago was a redfin fairy.
Before that was a melanarus and chisel tooth.

Maybe I've been lucky?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fish finished a qt cycle with a female pintail flasher and male mckoskers last week.

A few cycles ago was a redfin fairy.
Before that was a melanarus and chisel tooth.

Maybe I've been lucky?

seems I need to go back to your build lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back