NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his menu sofar...
IMG_1364.JPEG

I don't think I can get a tang for the algae in my 15 gallon?

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm hoping to swap out the 15 for the 30 breeder in the time it would take for me to QT one! Though I was mainly posting to try to convince @Nate Chalk that he should reconsider zoas with an angel.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't we hardly ever see mimic tangs included in gangs?

The number of adult colored mimic/chocolates I have seen even here on the forum I could probably count on one hand. Makes no sense to me with how pretty they are.
I love my half black mimic. Actually the boss of the tank. If any squabbles, it hops in and runs them off lol. Weirdly, it is also the most peaceful and never starts a thing.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah Mrs 1 Ocean wants a flame but does not want to lose her zoa garden...and we have a 300 so getting the flame out if it is bad could be a time consuming task...
Ive had this little flame for.... 2 months and I have a bunch of zoas :) do I need to post proof !?

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't we hardly ever see mimic tangs included in gangs?

The number of adult colored mimic/chocolates I have seen even here on the forum I could probably count on one hand. Makes no sense to me with how pretty they are.
Do they play well with a purple, tomini and a hippo?

I would love to add another tang :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive had this little flame for.... 2 months and I have a bunch of zoas :) do I need to post proof !?
It becomes a situation of "when". Some have fortune for months, others years. Eventually they wake up and corals are destroyed.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they play well with a purple, tomini and a hippo?

I would love to add another tang :)
Kind of what I'm trying to find out.. what's wrong with them? Why aren't they more prolific?

Everywhere I look they give the same semi-aggressive doesn't like other tangs speech as every other tang.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of what I'm trying to find out.. what's wrong with them? Why aren't they more prolific?

Everywhere I look they give the same semi-aggressive doesn't like other tangs speech as every other tang.
From my experience with them.

If added when they look like an angel, no issues. My half black was added when it was about 1.5" it went into an acclimation box that I rigged to be well below the surface. I hate them at the top.

All of the tangs (clown, purple, des, mingii, yellows, achilles, hippos, and a scopas) all came up to the acclimation box to check it out and then went about their business. About an hour later, I let it loose and it has been there ever since. This was all in a 180 where I was growing the tangs up some before going into the 500.

Once older, it is like no one even cares. I added it to the 500 for a bit when I had some turf algae that the other would not eat and no issues when just dropping it in lol. It ate the algae, the snails were then able to keep up with it and then into the 180 it went again. That was about 2 months later. No issues then.

This is my experience though, and all of my tanks get fed 6 times a day, have algae for them to graze on at all times, so take the above with a grain of salt lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offer up freshly grown sponge!
Even a plain ole finger sponge will last them a very long time, as long as you are feeding them other food. I have a red finger sponge that is 3 years in my tank, 2 yellow sponges about 2 years that my eblii munches on from time to time and they are not affected at all. Granted he is a sump fish now, just due to me tearing down the macro tank, but he hasnt touched a single coral in all that time. He also has macro, sponge and other foods to eat.

I feel that if you can provide close to the diet they need (not what you think they need) then they leave corals alone. Same goes for Foxface. I have only had 1 foxface that ate corals. Towards the end of me being in the military, I was not home and it was only getting frozen food. It then decided to eat corals. Once home, I started giving it plenty of macros to eat and eating corals stopped. It was like it was missing some nutrient/vitamin or something from the macros and decided it needed to eat corals to get it.

Back