View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who all is running acrylic tank here?
Is it that much different than glass?
What are you cleaning it with?
Why shouldn't I go acrylic?
Man I want to pull trigger so bad. Can get exactly what I want but the horror stories of scratching it up are killing me!

Only ever done glass, can't help.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic 7x2.5x1.5 frag tank here. Clean it with a tunze scraper made for acrylic. Weighs nothing compared to my glass 7’ frag tank. Thought I would hate the euro bracing, but love it lol. Make a place to set things when fragging. When I get time, I am going to make a closed loop on it. Going to be a lot easier than my glass tank doing that.

That was the upsides. Downsides are that sand sucks if you catch a piece, urchins can seriously gouge it when eating, need to polish here and there to keep it crystal clear.
Had no idea urchins could do damage like that! Incredible. I do have spiny urchins that came on Gulf LR. Plan on putting all rock in sumps on bottom tho.
Would you say algae like to grow on glass or acrylic more?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic 7x2.5x1.5 frag tank here. Clean it with a tunze scraper made for acrylic. Weighs nothing compared to my glass 7’ frag tank. Thought I would hate the euro bracing, but love it lol. Make a place to set things when fragging. When I get time, I am going to make a closed loop on it. Going to be a lot easier than my glass tank doing that.

That was the upsides. Downsides are that sand sucks if you catch a piece, urchins can seriously gouge it when eating, need to polish here and there to keep it crystal clear.
Need to expand on the weights nothing. As in I carried it in the house on my shoulder. Had to go up steps with a bum knee, other is a replacement, pins in ankles, tore up shoulders and 3 vertebrae basically concreted together in my back. Then wife decided she didn’t want it for the mangrove lagoon, so back down steps and 50 yards across the yard with dog dips (dumb dog loves to dig) to the fish barn. Up those steps and set it in there. Built stand same day and set it on it. All by myself lol.

Didn’t hurt afterwards either.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had no idea urchins could do damage like that! Incredible. I do have spiny urchins that came on Gulf LR. Plan on putting all rock in sumps on bottom tho.
Would you say algae like to grow on glass or acrylic more?
My little tux urchins have done no damage yet, but if ones that eat coraline, they scrape for it and gouge acrylic a little at a time.

For algae, can say if one grows it faster or slower unless coraline. Any acrylic tank I have had seemed to grow it faster. I think it not being as smooth is why. We can’t really feel it, but glass is smoother.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to expand on the weights nothing. As in I carried it in the house on my shoulder. Had to go up steps with a bum knee, other is a replacement, pins in ankles, tore up shoulders and 3 vertebrae basically concreted together in my back. Then wife decided she didn’t want it for the mangrove lagoon, so back down steps and 50 yards across the yard with dog dips (dumb dog loves to dig) to the fish barn. Up those steps and set it in there. Built stand same day and set it on it. All by myself lol.

I love this part im in same boat with my back.
What kind of acrylic is yours made out of?
I'm seriously looking at getting a cpl of these. Currently in my cart lol!
12" deep 60 gallon peninsula.
They say museum quality dunno what that even means.
I want best acrylic idk what that is though.
Screenshot_20210511-110914_Chrome.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Steve reading that made me sore!

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gawd I though I had a bad back. Guess I need to get some work done and quit complaining :p

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this part im in same boat with my back.
What kind of acrylic is yours made out of?
I'm seriously looking at getting a cpl of these. Currently in my cart lol!
12" deep 60 gallon peninsula.
They say museum quality dunno what that even means.
I want best acrylic idk what that is though.
Screenshot_20210511-110914_Chrome.jpg
I honestly have no clue. Picked it up locally from the old reef club president and he has had it for years. It is a harder acrylic and I did spend hours buffing it out, but start with the right tools and it should be good. This didn’t really have any scratches. It was all precip and stuff where it was drained and put up wet.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IEDs hurt then and later lol.
Military Appreciation Month and my company had a speaker series yesterday.
I got to listen to KIRSTIE ENNIS speak and was really humbled by her experience and what she has done since.

Thank you for your service! and also to everyone else who may read this and has served!

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi.all... :) ..where to start...;Happy
Scott ...umm ,better check housing prices...;Facepalmthey are good here.
ME: i'm burning gold...almost nightly;Wideyed
THE acrylic ,love it ,weight,workability,but...i don't care about scratches ,run bare bottom,try to be careful,but mine are full of scratches ...:rolleyes:look rt past them..;)
Yep 2 types acrylic ,1 is harder,not sure which,Joe would know..:)

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cool heard it's working.. :cool: finally some new phone blue filtered pics...;)sorry Simon..:) let's see what they look like.;Wideyed

IMG_8796.JPG

not bad...^^ this reminds me of a bonfire...;Facepalm;Woot;Woot
IMG_8798.JPG
IMG_8799.JPG

better..still looking for old camera parts..:rolleyes:;Happy

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool heard it's working.. :cool: finally some new phone blue filtered pics...;)sorry Simon..:) let's see what they look like.;Wideyed

IMG_8796.JPG

not bad...^^ this reminds me of a bonfire...;Facepalm;Woot;Woot
IMG_8798.JPG
IMG_8799.JPG

better..still looking for old camera parts..:rolleyes:;Happy

what flavor of torch is that?

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what flavor of torch is that?

Anybody care to guess on an ID of this frag?

What we know.

It's some sort of "pora"
It both encrusts and can form "tree sort of thing"
Visuals:
Resized_20210511_182320_20210511_185040.jpg
Resized_20210511_182340_20210511_185040.jpg
Resized_20210511_182446_20210511_185040.jpg

My wife brought it home.. has no idea what it was.
OK...need id's here !!! lets hear your thoughts on said torch,green mouth ,pora?? some kind of montistrea??

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back