my new baby... AKA The Café

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love CCR! That with some bacon wrapped dogs, can’t go wrong…

It would be nearly in-American to not think they’re okay, at a minimum.

Looks like most of the normal late nighters are absent tonight.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on a hike today to a place called paradise falls,
It was beautiful being out and getting away from the regular schedule.
01A99ED1-4B88-4179-ABB5-DE1EBAF12760.jpeg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nostalgia to my FW days. Love the rock work! Nice substrate as well. Here‘s a tip. If you want good plant growth, color, and root thickness, (although it may be a pain to do as you already put the top substrate in) is get small mesh bags, and fill them with nutrient rich substrate and crushed root tabs. Then put the top or adoring substrate on top, about an inch or two so the nutrient substrate doesn’t leach into the water column, and put some more crushed root tabs dispersed throughout. If you already knew this then……lol;)
Thanks! This is actually Fluval Stratum so it’s already nutrient rich. I honestly don’t know what I want to plant. I am envious of the “hair grass” tanks but I’m not one for shrimp. To be honest there’s gonna be a betta in there even if I don’t plan it lol. I wanted some micro gobies. I have a friend who has a cute pair in samurai soil and it’s just so adorable. Right now, this is how it’ll stay for awhile until I actually get a plan.

Who am I kidding. It’ll have spare plants tossed in and then probably more albimarginata tossed back in lol. Here’s two of the other tanks. (One with a Mac and the other with a samurai betta gal)
D5541CC1-DE0E-405B-845C-B309136F12F4.jpeg
9C07F9D2-512D-4520-8320-85BC4D6BF7A8.jpeg

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This is actually Fluval Stratum so it’s already nutrient rich. I honestly don’t know what I want to plant. I am envious of the “hair grass” tanks but I’m not one for shrimp. To be honest there’s gonna be a betta in there even if I don’t plan it lol. I wanted some micro gobies. I have a friend who has a cute pair in samurai soil and it’s just so adorable. Right now, this is how it’ll stay for awhile until I actually get a plan.

Who am I kidding. It’ll have spare plants tossed in and then probably more albimarginata tossed back in lol. Here’s two of the other tanks. (One with a Mac and the other with a samurai betta gal)
D5541CC1-DE0E-405B-845C-B309136F12F4.jpeg
9C07F9D2-512D-4520-8320-85BC4D6BF7A8.jpeg
Those look really good! If you want some inspiration, you can go to YouTube and watch MD Fish Tanks. IMO he is one of the best aquascapers out there! To match your rock work here’s an idea of what you could do:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Petcrazyson and @LadyMac and any other fans of FW Planted tanks. The below video is a friend of mine. This is good 120g lit with T5 lighting. I had a similar FW tank back when it was set up in 2020. Mine was not quite as nice. I am giving strong consideration to going this route again as opposed to Reef when I set up a new tank. The list of reasons is long. I am not committed either way but I should be committed!

Edit: For those that don’t know, the below tank requires a lot of effort and maintenance. With about 30 different plant species in it, with varying and different requirements, the tank is at least as much as a reef.

Last edited:

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Petcrazyson and @LadyMac and any other fans of FW Planted tanks. The below video is a friend of mine. This is good 120g lit with T5 lighting. I had a similar FW tank back when it was set up in 2020. Mine was not quite as nice. I am giving strong consideration to going this route again as opposed to Reef when I set up a new tank. The list of reasons is long. I am not committed either way but I should be committed!

this is what I want the third tank I’m still working on to look like, your friends tank is inspirational!
You could go FW planted as your main tank, and keep a pico reef? Plenty of neat little pico tanks
coming out on the market.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is what I want the third tank I’m still working on to look like, your friends tank is inspirational!
You could go FW planted as your main tank, and keep a pico reef? Plenty of neat little pico tanks
coming out on the market.

While I do like picos and nanos, I’d probably not do less than a 40 breeder if I do both. The tank I’m planning is looking like an 84 x 36 x 24.

Speaking of pics, gets a very cool little reef fish bowl I’ve been following.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See
While I do like picos and nanos, I’d probably not do less than a 40 breeder if I do both. The tank I’m planning is looking like an 84 x 36 x 24.
now that sounds like plenty of space for a FW planted tank.
40 breeder reefs are a good size, that was what Introduced my self with on this platform, it was perfect until I got bored…

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look really good! If you want some inspiration, you can go to YouTube and watch MD Fish Tanks. IMO he is one of the best aquascapers out there! To match your rock work here’s an idea of what you could do:

Ah yes he’s one of my favs! And the grand baby really enjoys his videos as well

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back