my new baby... AKA The Café

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve beat me to it, also recognized him immediately. Bad toad, no licky

I cancelled our pest control service about a month ago. Their charges had gotten high for the service received. I meant to call another company that a friend of mine uses and then I saw something shiny. Going to call them now before I see something sparkly.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cancelled our pest control service about a month ago. Their charges had gotten high for the service received. I meant to call another company that a friend of mine uses and then I saw something shiny. Going to call them now before I see something sparkly.
I quit all pest control and now do my own. No bugs in my house, no mice (I am out in the country, so common for most), no rats in the barn, none of that stuff.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit all pest control and now do my own. No bugs in my house, no mice (I am out in the country, so common for most), no rats in the barn, none of that stuff.
Why am I not surprised by this, at all!

Actually, I’ve given thought to doing it myself too and have researched it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why am I not surprised by this, at all!

Actually, I’ve given thought to doing it myself too and have researched it.
My step dad was an Entomologist for Rollins (Owns Orkin and quit a few others). He was very helpful in what off the shelf stuff I could mix up for all pests and be safe in my house. I have all the mixes noted down and just spray the house every 6 months. Works great. Plus I can get all items at TSC. Mice and rats are easy to keep away or be rid of. I do have some traps, but do not provide food sources for them to want to come to get.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband has a PhD in Entomology so he takes care of all our bug issues.
Funny story, well maybe not so funny, but one night last summer was expecting a friend of our daughter’s who was coming over, 11 pm doorbell rang so I opened door. I was surprised to see a man standing there and apologized for the late night call but he was starting a new pest control company , blah blah blah… I Knew right away he was just casing my house to see if anyone was home. Anyway I told him my husband was an entomologist and he took care of our house himself as I started closing the door the guy says “ oh, cool, what’s an entomologist? “. Seriously guy you claim to be in pest control and don’t know what an entomologist is?! I just laughed at him as I shut the door and locked it. And then I called the cops

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Licking is permitted ,but no spiting allowed... We try to keep a clean house here...;):)
"disclaimer" do not lick...:D
IMG_20230130_161542_264.jpg
Definitely noticed the warning about licking applied to the 2" palys!

Also, @Eagle_Steve and anyone who might know more info; the questionable toad in question was roughly 5 inches long and 3 inches wide. He was a pretty stout little guy! Or, maybe she was a girl!
These days, you should have asked the toad's pronouns if you are going to talk about it! :dizzy-face:

My husband has a PhD in Entomology so he takes care of all our bug issues.
Funny story, well maybe not so funny, but one night last summer was expecting a friend of our daughter’s who was coming over, 11 pm doorbell rang so I opened door. I was surprised to see a man standing there and apologized for the late night call but he was starting a new pest control company , blah blah blah… I Knew right away he was just casing my house to see if anyone was home. Anyway I told him my husband was an entomologist and he took care of our house himself as I started closing the door the guy says “ oh, cool, what’s an entomologist? “. Seriously guy you claim to be in pest control and don’t know what an entomologist is?! I just laughed at him as I shut the door and locked it. And then I called the cops
...so are you MrsBugmaster because you have a master's degree in entomology or because your husband is MrBugmaster with his PhD? Just curious...

Quick update on the work tank:
A couple sizeable ocean-direct live rocks were added this morning and I found the missing cleaner goby alive and well! He was hiding inside the 3D-printed wavemaker cage around the built-in cage. I'm very relieved that he did not go through the running wavemaker somehow!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BTW - when I see your posts I cannot help but hear this in my head. Based on this brain worm, would it be unreasonable to nicely request you only come around every few days? :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've engaged enough with him to know the answer:
Aquarium-sourced live rock always means instant cycle no matter the bioload, but the 40B needs to be rip-cleaned due to hair algae since there is no other method of dealing with it! ( :zany-face: )

Of course, I disagree with both of those points, since I understand that cycling is not about general absolutes such as a certain number of days or automatic live-rock instant full-bioload cycling, but actually about establishing (or already established) nitrifying bacteria populations to handle the bio-load and cannot grow instantly if not sufficient, and there are other methods to control system imbalances such as excessive hair algae.
Understand the chemistry/biology of the system and find a good equilibrium rather than attempting to solve all problems through manual or one-time-effect methods that do not solve the root cause! I am an engineer, after all, so root-cause analysis is common to me and always preferred over fighting symptoms except when absolutely necessary for the short-term.

For my 40B case, once I resolve the plumbing issues, the sump will include a turf scrubber and light cycle to balance nutrients in order to out-compete the display hair algae, though I did consider and do wish now that I had taken the time to scrub the rocks during the upgrade to avoid some of this initial dirtiness. It does not help this system that the rock used was originally dry rock that was "cycled" by my previous co-worker that seems to have just thrown money at issues with his tank (the 75-gallon that I got from him and catapulted me into this hobby) rather than learning anything science-related. The ocean-direct live rock is my go-to option now, and a couple sizeable pieces will help this tank immensely for both appearance and stability.

Hey, I am one of the still-beginner-est/research-scientific-est/slowest-progressing-on-my-main-system/lurking-est cronies, so I do prefer scientific methods and scientific attitudes as you've allowed mine to be and, though I have not before responded directly to you, I feel like I already know you since I follow this group pretty closely and picked up on your return to activity! Nice to have you and I'll see you around.

(also, I do apologize for my common long-winded text-walls that distract from the short, witty derailing that is normal activity for the Cafe!)

He who is not to be named, but starts with a "B", almost rhymes with "random", ends with a number like the third-to-last day of April (MDD)... who also has personal experiences limited to fishless nano-reefs...
Yes the winner of the coveted ignore award! That is the solution to his pollution! Fish expert who never kept one lol!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These days, you should have asked the toad's pronouns if you are going to talk about i
I really do not care what pronouns someone applies to themselves. I'm not trying to be funny or sound like a d**k either. If someone lives in delusion, that's their business. I do not comply when I am asked to sign off on or agree with someone else's delusional nonsense.

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yes the winner of the coveted ignore award! That is the solution to his pollution! Fish expert who never kept one lol!
wow I never looked at the aforementioned signature before... how presumptuous.

"in the process of applying..." 'eh?

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..so are you MrsBugmaster because you have a master's degree in entomology or because your husband is MrBugmaster with his PhD? Just curious...
No I have an accounting degree, but haven’t worked outside the home for 22 years now. He goes by bugmaster and I couldn’t think of any catchy name so MrsBugmaster it is :)

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not care what pronouns someone applies to themselves. I'm not trying to be funny or sound like a d**k either. If someone lives in delusion, that's their business. I do not comply when I am asked to sign off on or agree with someone else's delusional nonsense.
Yeah, my response was meant as a joke. I fully disagree with government-legislated compelled speech.

I have not ignored him yet with the button on R2R so I can see what is posted and might try to mitigate some of the damage at times, but I often do not read the posts in a physical ignoring process. I just wish there was a way to limit the disorienting affect on those threads based on how he typically engages and follows up. There's no room for alternate opinions to fit in the discussion!

No I have an accounting degree, but haven’t worked outside the home for 22 years now. He goes by bugmaster and I couldn’t think of any catchy name so MrsBugmaster it is :)
I wondered if it actually was your husband's nickname. Nice to know.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back