my new baby... AKA The Café

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was gonna say maybe 1.5ml but don't dose alk so good thing @fishguy242 jumped in or i woulda totally failed:)
not me..i wing it.. test it adjust as needed..never mess with fresh salt mix .

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10.7 ml. See. Basically eleven-teen hehe lol.

Will need to mix for 3-4 hours after doing it, as Red Sea foundation b spikes ph quite a bit.
Basically do 10ml, let mix for a few hours and test.

15 gallon container may not hold 15 or you might not have exactly 15 in there. So being as it is just for premade and if it fills to the same level every time, you can use the same amount once you dial it in.

Also, no need to be exact if this is WC water. .3-.5 off will not be noticeable, unless you are doing massive water changes.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thespammailaccount
Saw your DM and your post here.
I wish I could help.
I can give you the formula to figure out how a water change would effect your dKH in your tank due to the water change. But that’s about it.

(Volume of tank-what your taking out) x (current alk of tank)=a

(Water going in)x alk of water=B

A+B=C

C÷(Tank volume)=new alk level

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thespammailaccount
Saw your DM and your post here.
I wish I could help.
I can give you the formula to figure out how a water change would effect your dKH in your tank due to the water change. But that’s about it.

(Volume of tank-what your taking out) x (current alk of tank)=a

(Water going in)x alk of water=B

A+B=C

C÷(Tank volume)=new alk level
Will have to do some figuring on my off day :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this real quick
Calculators get ya close, but there is about a 6% variance from calc to calc. Some factor in the ph boost and others do not. There is also a 2-3% variance from bottle to bottle of Red Sea foundation b. Used it on my office tank, as the Red Sea program was super easy to setup for that tank and the limited space I had.

Trick is, whatever the calc says, do a little less and test. Then you should be within a good margin moving forward once you find a nice median.

Thankfully .3 alk isn’t enough to tick things off too much. Not much worse than a bad thunderstorm over a reef dropping all and shifting the salinity a bit at the same time.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calculators get ya close, but there is about a 6% variance from calc to calc. Some factor in the ph boost and others do not. There is also a 2-3% variance from bottle to bottle of Red Sea foundation b. Used it on my office tank, as the Red Sea program was super easy to setup for that tank and the limited space I had.

Trick is, whatever the calc says, do a little less and test. Then you should be within a good margin moving forward once you find a nice median.

Thankfully .3 alk isn’t enough to tick things off too much. Not much worse than a bad thunderstorm over a reef dropping all and shifting the salinity a bit at the same time.
I for sure know who to bug when I start dosing stuff :D

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for sure know who to bug when I start dosing stuff :D
Been dosing for years and used about all there is out there. I do diy now, as it saves a crap ton when you have as much water as I do lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minus the about 6% for the ph shift and the variance from bottle to bottle and you get 10.7.

11.4 is the number I started with.

There is truly no exact number. That is why all of the directions tell you to dose and then test. To many variables.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back