sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from gmacreef.com

Drilling a small “Anti-Siphon Hole”​

– A small hole or two can be made in the pipe just under the surface of the water. As soon as this hole sucks in air, the siphon will be broken. These holes are usually made around 1/8″ in diameter — as anything smaller might not be able to reliably break the siphon. They are usually placed about 1/2″ beneath the surface of the water to avoid turbulence or create micro-bubbles.
Watch out – you should be aware that a small hole is very susceptible to getting clogged by debris or some kind of livestock in the tank. During normal operation at a positive pressure (water going out) this is unlikely to happen, however when flow stops, water will start to suck in through the hole, and it can tend to slurp up any surrounding algae or debris. It is also possible for the small hole to become completely covered by the growth of Coralline Algae. If the anti-siphon hole is clogged, the siphon continues until some air eventually enters the line from the main nozzle. If this is normally several inches beneath the surface, this can be a lot of water!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OKAY disregard my concern. Reached out to another reefer I know with the same system, they also were concerned when they started theirs up and stopped it the first time. Answer is: they're designed this way, sump is made to hold that excess water - just make sure you don't angle your nozzle too low so that it ends up taking more than it's supposed to. Check valve can be added, but not necessary.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210418_031447421.jpg

PXL_20210418_031438408.jpg
if that's a steel pipe clamp, it needs to go. :cool:

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that's a steel pipe clamp, it needs to go. :cool:
Yeah I have some plastic ones on order already. But also, that's all rodi in that chamber, not salt. It's stainless steel, husband says it's safe in fresh, I still ordered something else

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have some plastic ones on order already. But also, that's all rodi in that chamber, not salt. It's stainless steel, husband says it's safe in fresh, I still ordered something else
stainless still rusts. just not as fast.

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stainless still rusts. just not as fast.
The replacements are supposed to be here tomorrow, so I can switch them out then fill that chamber up. Fingers crossed Amazon doesn't let me down.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I have another nem prepping to split. :rolleyes:
one can only hope this trend continues when they all get moved.
do they split through the mouth or does a new mouth develop before splitting?:cool:
through the mouth. ;)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from gmacreef.com

Drilling a small “Anti-Siphon Hole”​

– A small hole or two can be made in the pipe just under the surface of the water. As soon as this hole sucks in air, the siphon will be broken. These holes are usually made around 1/8″ in diameter — as anything smaller might not be able to reliably break the siphon. They are usually placed about 1/2″ beneath the surface of the water to avoid turbulence or create micro-bubbles.
Watch out – you should be aware that a small hole is very susceptible to getting clogged by debris or some kind of livestock in the tank. During normal operation at a positive pressure (water going out) this is unlikely to happen, however when flow stops, water will start to suck in through the hole, and it can tend to slurp up any surrounding algae or debris. It is also possible for the small hole to become completely covered by the growth of Coralline Algae. If the anti-siphon hole is clogged, the siphon continues until some air eventually enters the line from the main nozzle. If this is normally several inches beneath the surface, this can be a lot of water!
I had to do this when I first bought my tank because there was so much algae growth and resistance in the return it was siphoning. Started @ 1/8" with no change, 1/16", and needed 3/8" to break it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm out.
gotta get up early to start the smoker.
makin bacon.
have a great rest of your night everyone. :cool:
I'm out.
gotta get up early to start the smoker.
makin bacon.
have a great rest of your night everyone. :cool:
What time shall we arrive?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back