I’m uninitiated. Is there a difference?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Nevermind I looked and understand.

still going to try and be old school about coral and go through friends and friends with connections.

live sales and lightning sales really make me wonder. If these vendors can regularly get away with such discounts on their “premier” pieces, it makes me think the prices posted normally are purely for profit. I mean, I get that anyone running a business needs profit. But if you can get away with regularly (ie ever few months) selling thins at a 50% discount or more…seems like you don’t really need to charge the crazy prices to get by.

am I missing something?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

still going to try and be old school about coral and go through friends and friends with connections.

live sales and lightning sales really make me wonder. If these vendors can regularly get away with such discounts on their “premier” pieces, it makes me think the prices posted normally are purely for profit. I mean, I get that anyone running a business needs profit. But if you can get away with regularly (ie ever few months) selling thins at a 50% discount or more…seems like you don’t really need to charge the crazy prices to get by.

am I missing something?
Yes. Capitalism. They can charge what they charge, and competitors will come up into the market, the best product and price wins and consumers win and company win.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Capitalism. They can charge what they charge, and competitors will come up into the market, the best product and price wins and consumers win and company win.

i mean yeah. Capitalism. Blame me being a philosopher by educational profession.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loki Yes GIF

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts opinions and concerns about emerald crabs?

I have a bubble algae issue and it’s getting on my nerves
They're jerks in the long run, but if you get them from reef cleaners they'll get the job done.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

am I missing something?
So my understanding of lighting sales is to clear out stuff they have been sitting on for awhile. And yes there is a markup, just like any other store, of any variety. But even friends or friends with connections are making a profit off of you. This is why the best time to buy is when they lower prices so your paying closer to what they paid.
But when buying from some vendors you get a guarantee that most individuals won’t offer. So you pay for that too. If you notice I talk mostly about POTO, their prices are reasonable. WWC is outrageous and even their sale prices are sometimes to high.
some things you may never be able to buy unless from a vendor. Like my scoly those you can’t propagate.

Be a smart shopper, shop the sales. Wait for the price drop. So your paying as close to wholesale price as possible or as close to friend price as possible.

I saw a gold torch yesterday at a LFS . I think they want like $250. But it wasn’t named 24k gold Aussie torch. It was a gold torch. I heard the guy say they can’t get in those named kind because no one would buy it for the price they would have to sell it for.

I always try to get the best deal I can. Lol. I’ll email poto and ask for package deals which gets me a better price.

I like the sales not only for price drops on corals but shipping price drop as well. And I know the vendor eats the shipping cost.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t look now pieces of the ocean is having a lightning sale

I'm gonna go look.
oh wait.... you said don't look.
ok. not looking.
go get 'em. :cool:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back