my new baby... AKA The Café

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would have been smart.

Honestly though, for $30 “priority” overnight?? I could have got USPS 1 day shipping for cheaper! (And yes, it has almost been a day since Joe shipped it out)
You'd probably be surprised how much it costs us little people without corporate pricing to ship corals. $50-80 is commonplace.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crapsicle! I get on the 'puter and I've got 8 pages to go through! Guess I'll get used to it LOL
trailer youll get used to it GIF by Zombillenium

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re: shipping. I used to run a courier company in downtown Toronto for 10 years. I know it's easy to complain about shipping costs and sometimes it does seem like a lot of doughrayme...but trust me, shipping is cheap and should cost a heckuva lot more than it does.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
re: shipping. I used to run a courier company in downtown Toronto for 10 years. I know it's easy to complain about shipping costs and sometimes it does seem like a lot of doughrayme...but trust me, shipping is cheap and should cost a heckuva lot more than it does.
If shipping is cheap enough for my company to ship me 2 cases of paper to my home for $40 through FedEx, wouldn't we think a single 8x8x8 box should not cost 3x what it cost to ship 2 boxes, 20 lb each?

I can't really get behind that. I understand loss leaders well. If they are still making a small margin on the cases of paper, there is no reason for the massive price discrepancy based on "who you know".

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew shipping fish was insane.

So do, like, coral venders get a discounted price for overnight, because they ship out in bulk?
Yes exactly. By sending hundreds or thousands of packages a month, they get preferred rates (which are still profitable for the courier company)

We don't get those rates.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don’t deliver by 12:00, I swear...

I can get my money back, according to the FedEx website.

—-

Ok, so my mom texted his teacher, and asked if we could go virtual today. Hoping it’s a yes?

That way, I can stay until 1-2.

Only amateur fragsperts ship over here mostly, most people have a decent lfs.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If shipping is cheap enough for my company to ship me 2 cases of paper to my home for $40 through FedEx, wouldn't we think a single 8x8x8 box should not cost 3x what it cost to ship 2 boxes, 20 lb each?

I can't really get behind that. I understand loss leaders well. If they are still making a small margin on the cases of paper, there is no reason for the massive price discrepancy based on "who you know".

I should clarify that. For an individual to ship an item, especially a 'special handling' item like fish the price is going to be high definitely. The shipper is taking on a lot of responsibility and they know that one way or another they'll be held responsible for any 'deaths' to the livestock. it's a risky proposition all around. I must say that we didn't ship any live animals at my company so I cant give any concrete evidence on that.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should clarify that. For an individual to ship an item, especially a 'special handling' item like fish the price is going to be high definitely. The shipper is taking on a lot of responsibility and they know that one way or another they'll be held responsible for any 'deaths' to the livestock. it's a risky proposition all around. I must say that we didn't ship any live animals at my company so I cant give any concrete evidence on that.
If I was disclosing the content, sure, I may expect a price hike due to the liability but I never do and don't see a reason to.

Just shipping 8x8x8 box at 2lb overnight, $100 value, they don't know what's in there. Could be shipping coral, could be shipping a softball. My gripe is Who is sending the item, shouldn't have such a huge disparity.

FedEx Corp is near all-time highs. Current $296 vs $319. According to the most recent income reports, most of the top line revenue is coming from corporate accounts so they are obviously still making money on the way lower pricing the heavy shippers get.

Ok enough whining from me.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was disclosing the content, sure, I may expect a price hike due to the liability but I never do and don't see a reason to.

Just shipping 8x8x8 box at 2lb overnight, $100 value, they don't know what's in there. Could be shipping coral, could be shipping a softball. My gripe is Who is sending the item, shouldn't have such a huge disparity.

FedEx Corp is near all-time highs. Current $296 vs $319. According to the most recent income reports, most of the top line revenue is coming from corporate accounts so they are obviously still making money on the way lower pricing the heavy shippers get.

Ok enough whining from me.

Ha! I totally understand and I'll close with this...I have had this discussion with umpteen people over the years about shipping costs and I have managed to convince exactly ZERO people that shipping is reasonably priced. LOL

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back