my new baby... AKA The Café

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hammer looks just fine James. Stop staring at it you’re making it nervous lol

here’s my hammer that I got 2 days ago
Excuse the dirty glass. Just about to clean it… no really I am. ;)

Attachments

• EF6357CD-CEEE-402F-B2EF-79186AA9EEED.jpeg
    EF6357CD-CEEE-402F-B2EF-79186AA9EEED.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 22
  • C36528A3-51BC-4CD3-B4B9-6D90BD15C6D3.jpeg
    C36528A3-51BC-4CD3-B4B9-6D90BD15C6D3.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hammer looks just fine James. Stop staring at it you’re making it nervous lol

here’s my hammer that I got 2 days ago
Excuse the dirty glass. Just about to clean it… no really I am. ;)
Hahaha. I stopped apologizing. If another reefer has a problem with a bit of algea on my glass, they can come clean it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy I needed this reminder two weeks ago ..

Earl rock is ticked.
Earl is solid but yeah man if its not broken you can't fix it. Earl looked super good id put everything back the way it was and slowly step away from LAMP lol for real though im done messing with mine. Only more harm than good comes from it. Cant make them all happy either. Gonna try to make majority of mine happy on lagoon floor. Maybe try to build up into or move out away from lamp if I can. If still not happy then they can kick rocks and I probably never liked them anyhow. Its my lagoon haha

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of Euphyllia, I got my first Frogspawn last Friday because I thought id start a Euphyllia garden of sorts. Ya know, a couple hammers and a frog. Problem is the Frogspawn seems to like it where it is and has spread out to take over the 2 other spots I had set aside for da hammers. Very rude if you ask me. ;)
My question is does higher flow keep Frogs a little "tighter" or does low flow? I think I remember a tidal gardens video where he said higher flow keeps them more compacted. Anyone have any experience with this ?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@James_O ask the vendor what spectrum they use and emulate that. I think you will find most of the larger vendors use heavy blue and uv with a 2-4 hour white peek time. Some go more some go less.

As stated above the hammer you just added is still trying to get comfy. Make sure your parameters are stable and it should be fine.

@alimac122 they are responding amazing!

Give that last head some time ;) you are doing a great job and the corals are getting happy again!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

3 out of 4 of my heads are fluffing back up after the water change and adjusting flow. But why’s this guy in the bottom right got his mouth WIDE open and deflated? ((Also, this is the most recent split))

I didn't see the beginning to this, but these are frogspawn ? They've been struggling?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a reoccurring theme. Corals perk up and down some days. They JUST went through a dramatic shipping ordeal.

Teach yourself to take a breath. You'll need a lot of them worrying this much.
Deep breaths... deep breaths... ;Muted;Shamefullyembarrased

Also run your lights how you like them @James_O
Just know corals acclimated to blue spectrum usually have a hard time going to MOAR white spectrum and vise versa. There are papers it shows certain corals have a hard time acclimating themselves to white spectrum they have to go through some kind of change either physically or chemically or mentally. Cant recall which but probably all 3 haha.
Brs and others have spent tons of money in r and d and too many papers out there showing corals use mostly blue spectrum. Regardless of how you like the way it looks def make sure blue is in there.
Your settings look OK to me. And not knowing anything about your particular lamp I wouldnt want to comment on that and see something bad happen.
Just know with all that said. Go super slow changing things up with lighting. Like 1% either way per channel per week and watch how they react slow.
I've been dialing my lamp that way for close to a year now.
Right now, I'm running them to where the tank looks good to the eye.

Like I said a while back, I might be doing something right, because the corals I have had for a while, are doing great.

I will however SLOWLY, and I mean SLOWLY, swap them from 70% white/30%blue to 70% blue/30% white.

@James_O nothing good in this hobby happens fast.
The worst thing you can do right now is completely flip your blues and whites. Slowly ramp your whites down while ramping up your blues. And by slow I mean only a couple % a week.
Yes, will be doing this very slowly! Thanks. :)
I honestly didn't want to post because it literally is shooting from the hip not knowing par. When I set up my v2+ lamp I tried to go by how it looked. How it looked ended up being 150 par higher than my black box and I burned some shrooms up nicely.
So take that for what it is. Basicly nothing until you know where par sits.
I will say your lamp looks too close to me still.
Don't sweat the small stuff. See how it does and make corrections but can tell you ive read from most of the people I follow they typically start in lower flow low light area to acclimate. Less cant hurt. Maybe slow down the process. MOAR can kill and will kill alot of stuff real quick.
Gotcha. Wish I had a PAR meter. :/

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made enough mistakes to know lol. Shrooms hate light adjustments and let me know almost instantly.
Slowwww and steady wins light race
Tell me about it, I've actually experienced this.

When we had a super quick power outage, that reset my lighting schedule. The shrooms closed up for a solid 2 days, until I got the lights back to where they were.

----

After getting the new powerhead, the big blue/orange ricordea is absolutely MASSIVE. It really spread out a TON.

---

The tangerine and the brain buster are doing wonderful. The tangerine has spread out and really fluffed up. :D

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of Euphyllia, I got my first Frogspawn last Friday because I thought id start a Euphyllia garden of sorts. Ya know, a couple hammers and a frog. Problem is the Frogspawn seems to like it where it is and has spread out to take over the 2 other spots I had set aside for da hammers. Very rude if you ask me. ;)
My question is does higher flow keep Frogs a little "tighter" or does low flow? I think I remember a tidal gardens video where he said higher flow keeps them more compacted. Anyone have any experience with this ?
Lower flow will definitely make them want to extend more. Higher flow keeps them a bit more compact. BUT each piece is different I have some that are in a little more flow and they are still fluffy

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@James_O ask the vendor what spectrum they use and emulate that. I think you will find most of the larger vendors use heavy blue and uv with a 2-4 hour white peek time. Some go more some go less.

As stated above the hammer you just added is still trying to get comfy. Make sure your parameters are stable and it should be fine.

@alimac122 they are responding amazing!

Give that last head some time ;) you are doing a great job and the corals are getting happy again!
the king has returned GIF

Thanks!

I'll ask Joe what he uses. I THINK he said he uses Radiation G5's? I could be wrong.

----

I am being super diligent keeping my parameters stable. Salinity is ALWAYS at 1.025ppm-1.026ppm ALL the time.

Calcium is also constant.

Phos. and alk test kits I just got in, so I have only tested once.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower flow will definitely make them want to extend more. Higher flow keeps them a bit more compact. BUT each piece is different I have some that are in a little more flow and they are still fluffy
I reduced the flow by about 10% and it extended quite a bit!!

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many thanks. Think I'll do some (more) rearranging.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back