my new baby... AKA The Café

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’ll eat I plan on feeding my corals once or twice a week.

heck, if I end up having shrimp, hermits, etc, I’ll feed them too.

I’m honestly fascinated by all the creatures we can keep
Shrimp make it next to impossible to feed coral. They are thieves and steal the food from lps and shrooms...

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, question for the more experienced of ya’ll.

I’m more interested in species names for corals or at least genus (ie acropora) rather than fancy names and common names.

what are “war corals”, “moon corals”, and “meat corals”. As far as the meats go I know acans are sometimes grouped under that name but yeah.

I really just want to know what corals I end up having. Fancy names are only for when I’m trying to find a specific strain
I recommend visiting live aquaria they typically have species and trade names listed.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, question for the more experienced of ya’ll.

I’m more interested in species names for corals or at least genus (ie acropora) rather than fancy names and common names.

what are “war corals”, “moon corals”, and “meat corals”. As far as the meats go I know acans are sometimes grouped under that name but yeah.

I really just want to know what corals I end up having. Fancy names are only for when I’m trying to find a specific strain

I could be wrong...but I think war and moon corals are Favia and favites and meats are acans

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp make it next to impossible to feed coral. They are thieves and steal the food from lps and shrooms...

yeah I know. But I’m a naive newbie who likes them. Good thing I’ve got a massive sump I guess… figure I may get some true peppermints, keep them in my sump and bring them to the DT if needed
I recommend visiting live aquaria they typically have species and trade names listed.
I’ve browsed them before. I actually do think I’ll order some from them for the reason you mentioned. Other than that it’s corals.com and tidal gardens for me. And Jason fox for a few that I’ve been drooling over. Beyond that it’s you, Frank, and
I could be wrong...but I think war and moon corals are Favia and favites and meats are acans

that’s kinda what I thought but wasn’t sure. Thanks my friend!!!

Edit: and the guys @fishguy242 and @F i s h y know. Don’t know why that was cut off

Last edited:

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a cheapis use ATO guys?
Buy a Tunze ato. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. You won’t have any issues. Buying cheap usually means spending more money in the long run

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Tunze ato. Not the cheapest but not the most expensive. You won’t have any issues. Buying cheap usually means spending more money in the long run

agreed. I’ve already had going cheap bite me in the behind. And my display isn’t even wet yet.

only time I’d say cheap is okay would be going used, providing you can verify whatever it is you’re buying is in good condition and you can trust the seller

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the Tunze nano version ato which came highly recommended and it's a point of sale.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure and I can suggest a blood red fire shrimp. Kind of reclusive but absolutely stunning.

that might already be on my list. Allegedly.

also I’ll be using the coralvue ATO. Will report on my experience

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back