my new baby... AKA The Café

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the one @BeltedCoyote was talking about to

actually yeah, it’s only $20 I believe and is pretty “smart”. It requires the same maintenance as any that uses something other than float valves but so far reviews seem pretty positive

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the one @BeltedCoyote was talking about to
This one?

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one?

yup

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I was about to say.... ;Facepalm;Nailbiting

—-

Which would be better in the long run? The Tunze? Or the Coralvue?
I love my tunze.... just saying...

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I was about to say.... ;Facepalm;Nailbiting

—-

Which would be better in the long run? The Tunze? Or the Coralvue?

I can’t say. Tunze has a reputation for lasting. Coralvue’s stuff really smart, user friendly, and packed with good redundancy. I went coralvue because I’ll be running hydros

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrr.... tough decision!! ;Facepalm ;Rage

this is one of those things where it’s okay to spend a little more. As long as what you’re choosing has a known good track record. I mean, you’re making sure your tank doesn’t loose so much water it messes with filtration and salinity.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean... I have never fed my shrooms for all the time I’ve had them, and they are doing great.

In this case, it somehow managed to catch it and eat it.

I guess you could try like maybe once a week? @LRT could probably answer better. ;Blackeye;Facepalm

So should I be feeding my mushrooms? I randomly do when I feed the other corals. Sometimes I eat sometimes they don’t
Yes. They should be in the feeding Rotation. Just as your corals don't need to be fed, but it helps, mushrooms will benefit from direct feeding in growth and vigor. I direct feed about once a week. Some power feed, but I ain't got time for that.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They should be in the feeding Rotation. Just as your corals don't need to be fed, but it helps, mushrooms will benefit from direct feeding in growth and vigor. I direct feed about once a week. Some power feed, but I ain't got time for that.
So do they have a preference on food? I usually feed corals after lights out with the exception of my Goni/alves (and when I feed those the entire tank gets dried rotifers)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one of those things where it’s okay to spend a little more. As long as what you’re choosing has a known good track record. I mean, you’re making sure your tank doesn’t loose so much water it messes with filtration and salinity.
Gotcha.

Which would be better for this week? The ATO? Or an autofeeder? (I can only get one)

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on a cheapis use ATO guys?
I have been using the JBJ since January haven’t failed me yet when I do weekly water changes I also my return pump and the auto top off just make sure it’s running correct also when you buy an ATO you also need to buy a return pump

Attachments

• DECAB8A1-EE48-4743-A624-53EAB4957B8E.png
    DECAB8A1-EE48-4743-A624-53EAB4957B8E.png
    346.7 KB · Views: 16

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the JBJ since January haven’t failed me yet when I do weekly water changes I also my return pump and the auto top off just make sure it’s running correct also when you buy an ATO you also need to buy a return pump
I'm pretty sure the two I was looking at had return pumps. :)

I also already have a 1.5g cube ready for the RO water.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha.

Which would be better for this week? The ATO? Or an autofeeder? (I can only get one)

depends on how much water you lose to evaporation. I’ve gone a week without feeding my fish. Wouldn’t recommend it but they survived. I’ve had to top up my FO 40b every four days when evaporation is bad.

if your tank is like mine, I’d go with the ATO. You said you had someone who could look at things while you’re gone. At the very least they could throw a pinch of food in when they check up on things. I’d trust an uninitiated individual to feed a pinch of food before I’d trust them to understand topping off.

why? Most people who don’t keep aquariums (FW or SW) don’t understand why tap water is a no go. But they can understand a pinch of food

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, question for the more experienced of ya’ll.

I’m more interested in species names for corals or at least genus (ie acropora) rather than fancy names and common names.

what are “war corals”, “moon corals”, and “meat corals”. As far as the meats go I know acans are sometimes grouped under that name but yeah.

I really just want to know what corals I end up having. Fancy names are only for when I’m trying to find a specific strain
Yes has someone else said, war corals and moon corals I believe typically are favia. Scoly, acanthophyllia, and cynarina typically fall into meat as well as a few others.
I recommend visiting live aquaria they typically have species and trade names listed.
This! I rarely buy corals from live aquaria, but I reference their website all the time for other names and random requirements.
yeah I know. But I’m a naive newbie who likes them. Good thing I’ve got a massive sump I guess… figure I may get some true peppermints, keep them in my sump and bring them to the DT if needed

I’ve browsed them before. I actually do think I’ll order some from them for the reason you mentioned. Other than that it’s corals.com and tidal gardens for me. And Jason fox for a few that I’ve been drooling over. Beyond that it’s you, Frank, and

that’s kinda what I thought but wasn’t sure. Thanks my friend!!!

Edit: and the guys @fishguy242 and @F i s h y know. Don’t know why that was cut off

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on how much water you lose to evaporation. I’ve gone a week without feeding my fish. Wouldn’t recommend it but they survived. I’ve had to top up my FO 40b every four days when evaporation is bad.

if your tank is like mine, I’d go with the ATO. You said you had someone who could look at things while you’re gone. At the very least they could throw a pinch of food in when they check up on things. I’d trust an uninitiated individual to feed a pinch of food before I’d trust them to understand topping off.

why? Most people who don’t keep aquariums (FW or SW) don’t understand why tap water is a no go. But they can understand a pinch of food
Yes !!! On my fresh water tank my evaporation got bad and the water line went below the filter my wife poured 2 gallons of tap water in my tank

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They aren't coming over. Really, I just don't trust her, giving her inexperience with fish and terrible track record with other animals.

I really want to get both, but I simply can't afford it.

My FW fish have gone a week at a time without food. What makes saltwater fish different? (Just curious)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes !!! On my fresh water tank my evaporation got bad and the water line went below the filter my wife poured 2 gallons of tap water in my tank
My overall tank evap isn't THAT bad. I would say maybe... 13/16 inch - 1 inch every week?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back