my new baby... AKA The Café

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, ok.

I have never QT’d anything in my whole life, so I guess I’m one of those people that doesn’t care about QT? Sounds bad, but I’ve just never done it.
That’s what’s making me hesitate. I never QT anything, and I’ve never had any issues. However, it could just be that I’ve been really lucky.
;Nailbiting

I have read sooo many stories stating the same and then you get the rest of the story. Especially from said seller..
you can qt in a 5 gal tank with just the 1 fish and be safe if you really want it.
basic setup is all you need.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read sooo many stories stating the same and then you get the rest of the story. Especially from said seller..
you can qt in a 5 gal tank with just the 1 fish and be safe if you really want it.
I actually do have an empty 5G tank… a plan is starting to form in my head.

However, it doesn’t have a heater or filter, which means I would have to buy both of those. :/

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed one lol
E9D48A7D-C103-47F1-9B39-D4D723D7FE17.jpeg
Hey LRT,
what is the second pic (mush ?) of and what is the zoa with the blue,green,yellow with orange center. My girl likes them, wants them for the 300. if your selling them lets chat or tell me where you got them. Or are you fragging them soon.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep since I put up the 140 a year ago, I have not done any QT BUT with the 300 going on line soon. I have a 10 gallon for QT and a 75 to start the first frag tank for future sale or for doing trades for stuff... I already have Bali Green slimmer frags that are about 2 inches tall and about 1/4 thick...

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, ok.

I have never QT’d anything in my whole life, so I guess I’m one of those people that doesn’t care about QT? Sounds bad, but I’ve just never done it.
Rescue a fish from Petco? If it's a good one (Petco), why do you think it needs "rescued'?

If that's just some jargon and you're talking about buying a fish from Petco or Anywhere for that matter to add to your tank, you should be considering either/all of your QT program, your parasite management once it gets into your system not quarrentining, and what the plan is When you bring in a sick fish that decimates your tank.

I hadn't QT'd anything either.

Until I did. You think keeping the tank topped off for a week is stressful? Velvet and Brooklanella are hell.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rescue a fish from Petco? If it's a good one (Petco), why do you think it needs "rescued'?

If that's just some jargon and you're talking about buying a fish from Petco or Anywhere for that matter to add to your tank, you should be considering either/all of your QT program, your parasite management once it gets into your system not quarrentining, and what the plan is When you bring in a sick fish that decimates your tank.

I hadn't QT'd anything either.

Until I did. You think keeping the tank topped off for a week is stressful? Velvet and Brooklanella are hell.
I did said “decent”.

I would be “rescuing it because it’s a PetCo. Those places are nasty and horrible for fish, unlike my tank, which is good.

I don’t know. It probably won’t happen today, just because I don’t have the funds to setup a QT tank…!

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M,,,,,,F.....I had to get the coral bandit shrimp out of the 140 last night.. which my girl loves.
We kept finding fish missing and he is about 3 inches or a little more in body length. I read stories of people having the same issue and the shrimp was attacking fish at night.
Also we know he has been killing off snails cause empty shells are piled up by his hiding place in the rocks...
Lost a neon gobbie, fairy basslet, a small anthias,
So his home is now in the refug....

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, ok.

A 5 gal bucket can work as a qt if needed. Doesn't always require another tank.

QT. it will eventually bite you if you dont...

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 gal bucket can work as a qt if needed. Doesn't always require another tank.

QT. it will eventually bite you if you dont...
Well, I have the tank, I just need the heater/filter. (Will probably end up getting a sponge filter anyway)

But I probably won’t get it today, because I don’t have a QT tank.

(however, I’ve never quarantined anything in my entire Fishkeeping career, and it hasn’t come back to bite me…)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did said “decent”.

I would be “rescuing it because it’s a PetCo. Those places are nasty and horrible for fish, unlike my tank, which is good.

I don’t know. It probably won’t happen today, just because I don’t have the funds to setup a QT tank…!
You also said rescue so I'm reading what you wrote. Not assuming your implication.

I don't buy into the idea that Petco is Any worse of than other client facing retail seller. As with your mom n pop shops, there are good ones and bad ones. They have some of the most clearly defined supply lines on the industry and drop a lot of money into their transportation and handling because they can and fish loss is expensive but at the end of the day, the fish are coming from the same collectors.

To QT or not is every person's prerogative. I just want you to think about what happens When you bring in a sick fish.

Historically you have not been a person that used quarantine. Historically you've also not been a person that keeps a saltwater reef tank. As your discipline in care changes, so should the husbandry and care requirements.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M,,,,,,F.....I had to get the coral bandit shrimp out of the 140 last night.. which my girl loves.
We kept finding fish missing and he is about 3 inches or a little more in body length. I read stories of people having the same issue and the shrimp was attacking fish at night.
Also we know he has been killing off snails cause empty shells are piled up by his hiding place in the rocks...
Lost a neon gobbie, fairy basslet, a small anthias,
So his home is now in the refug....
I'm in the same Boat with my CB. He's an outright azzhat!

Gotta get him out before the new Harly goes in.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also said rescue so I'm reading what you wrote. Not assuming your implication.

I don't buy into the idea that Petco is Any worse of than other client facing retail seller. As with your mom n pop shops, there are good ones and bad ones. They have some of the most clearly defined supply lines on the industry and drop a lot of money into their transportation and handling because they can and fish loss is expensive but at the end of the day, the fish are coming from the same collectors.

To QT or not is every person's prerogative. I just want you to think about what happens When you bring in a sick fish.

Historically you have not been a person that used quarantine. Historically you've also not been a person that keeps a saltwater reef tank. As your discipline in care changes, so should the husbandry and care requirements.
Ok, I won’t get it today.

I’ll probably just pick up a couple more hermit crabs and/or snails.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey is anyone using the GHL KH director and or the ION director or the entire set up.
I am about to pull the trigger on the whole set up in about a few weeks...
Looking for feed back.....
@Billldg ??

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey is anyone using the GHL KH director and or the ION director or the entire set up.
Here is the link to my conversion from Apex to GHL.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey LRT,
what is the second pic (mush ?) of and what is the zoa with the blue,green,yellow with orange center. My girl likes them, wants them for the 300. if your selling them lets chat or tell me where you got them. Or are you fragging them soon.
Hey bro I think you posted @Reefing_addiction zoa but may not have meant to.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a even better switch and explanation.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back