my new baby... AKA The Café

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya know what annoys me? Well let me tell you.
Waking up and finding one of my corals has crashed to the sandbed. This happens way too much.
I can do a lot of things in this life but apparently glueing corals to rocks isn't one of them aaaaargh ;Facepalm :rolleyes:

and happy Sunday :cool:
I've found glues to not be all the same. I cannot stand gorilla glue brand, reef glue works but takes forever to set under water. Dollar store glue to me works the best and I don't care is I burn a whole tube in one session.

When gluing under water, I apply some to both the plug, and the rock it's going on. Seems like if you only glue onto the plug, a skim layer forms on the glue when you dip it into the water. This thin layer keeps it from actually adhering to whatever you're trying to stick it to. Gluing both, the glue actually tacks to itself and connects well.

Maybe give it a try.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya know what annoys me? Well let me tell you.
Waking up and finding one of my corals has crashed to the sandbed. This happens way too much.
I can do a lot of things in this life but apparently glueing corals to rocks isn't one of them aaaaargh ;Facepalm :rolleyes:

and happy Sunday :cool:
I have found that my tuxedo urchin specifically targets freshly glued plugs. Idk why. She's a brat.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found glues to not be all the same. I cannot stand gorilla glue brand, reef glue works but takes forever to set under water. Dollar store glue to me works the best and I don't care is I burn a whole tube in one session.

When gluing under water, I apply some to both the plug, and the rock it's going on. Seems like if you only glue onto the plug, a skim layer forms on the glue when you dip it into the water. This thin layer keeps it from actually adhering to whatever you're trying to stick it to. Gluing both, the glue actually tacks to itself and connects well.

Maybe give it a try.

Thanks bruddah. I've tried the polyp labs glue but now I've got the dollar store kind.
I did try putting glue on both surfaces but ended up with more glue floating around the tank than on the rock. I've also tried a glue/epoxy/glue sandwich which has worked in the past but the problem is it's really permanent so very difficult to move the coral afterwards.
I have no problem when I'm glueing coral without a frag plug attached but plenty o' problems when the plug is still attached.
I think you're right though, glue on both surfaces must be the trick.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that my tuxedo urchin specifically targets freshly glued plugs. Idk why. She's a brat.
I think it’s a <-not sure what happened here?? ;Hilarious

Maybe give it a try.
agree with dollar store super glue or loctite gel, I’ve had the best luck with those two. The BRS glue is the worst for me surprisingly.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a <-not sure what happened here?? ;Hilarious

agree with dollar store super glue or loctite gel, I’ve had the best luck with those two. The BRS glue is the worst for me surprisingly.
That tracks, nosy little monster.

BRS glue is hit or miss with me. This last batch I bought seems to be good - I've bought it in the past where it's extra watery & doesn't hold well (and dries up in the bottle)

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still don’t know where my normal filter set up is so these were taken with dance orange lens glasses
510FCAA5-62A6-4CBC-8C33-510B64002627.jpeg
E63DE369-D11B-4B8E-A450-B824E2E7832A.jpeg
87117298-F56A-4A0F-8854-3DF594DB2322.jpeg
D6114AED-0CF4-4667-9F2B-E4DE2CE4086A.jpeg
680F50A8-A10A-4284-88CB-0CAEF199ABAA.jpeg

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love those Octos ! I've had my eye on a peach octo for quite awhile but they want $120 for it and just cant pull the trigger......yet.
So the large one to the right was sold as orangish
This picture shows more true to life
D1EDE7E1-15AA-48E4-9D18-38FC5C251FA2.jpeg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe give it a try.
second, or maybe third or fourth, on the dollar store green cap.
i usually cut the stem off the plugs, or with lps/sps remove them from the plug completely.
put a glob on the plug/coral and dip it in a container of the tank water. as stated it films over.
i then use the end of the glue tube to pull it up into a cone shape. add more glue to that and then
push and rotate to where i'm mounting it.

i also prefer this glue because you can remove the plug fairly easily when you want to frag it.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second, or maybe third or fourth, on the dollar store green cap.
i usually cut the stem off the plugs, or with lps/sps remove them from the plug completely.
put a glob on the plug/coral and dip it in a container of the tank water. as stated it films over.
i then use the end of the glue tube to pull it up into a cone shape. add more glue to that and then
push and rotate to where i'm mounting it.

i also prefer this glue because you can remove the plug fairly easily when you want to frag it.

This, all about the squish and twist, breaks the film layers and lets the water set it faster, if I am not attached to the frag or scape I didn't use enough glue! :rolleyes:

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure of your travel plans but people in this group have most definitely traveled coral across multiple state lines! You need tips for transportation of corals, plenty of people to help!
I received coral yesterday that spent a few hours in the bag, no problems! And the I took them grocery shopping in schnucks with me :D
Well the thing is we’re flying and I have no idea what the regulations are four taking them on planes. :(

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back