my new baby... AKA The Café

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I dare paint my stand with fluorescent spray paint? Or should I stain it with Espresso stain? Can’t decide if I want it to glow or not
image.jpg
image.jpg
black to match the tv stand. :cool:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find a darker one! I’m still looking though
Stop looking at stain then. Dyes are much better for ruining nice wood by changing the color than stain. Couple that with using lowes or any big box store wood, so very likely not a deciduous tree, coniferous wood species don't take stain well. TransTint is my favorite and only dye pigments
I will use.

@Smirkish is a Basdass cabinet finisher with a lot more experience than I. She could probably help you get to the color you want. If you want black, paint or dyes would be my MO.

Last edited:

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop looking at stain then. Dyes are much better for ruining nice wood by changing the color than stain. Couple that will using lowes wood, so very likely not a deciduous tree, coniferous wood species don't take stain well. TransTint is my favorite and only one I will use.

@Smirkish is a Basdass cabinet finisher with a lot more experience than I. She could probably help you get to the color you want. If you want black, paint or dyes would be my MO.
Ha! As a lifelong woodworker my favourite is people who buy cherry and then stain it to look like walnut. Killmenow

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really hope your kidding...:rolleyes:black walnut will give you a nice dark finish. @Jaden9933 ,but your prob home by now...:)
Not you toooo...

Do we even know yet what specific wood he's trying to stain?

As far as I know, ply at Lowes is.025" b/c and c/d birch with a formaldehyde-based resin adhesive. It won't take any stain well.

If we're actually going cabinet grade birch ply/ apple board or something with at least a 16th inch skin on each side, stain May take and not blotch to the high heavens.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HEY...I am catching up to @fishguy242, I am only 23566 post behind. OH WAIT...Now I am 23567, 23568, 23569. AHHH, FORGET ABOUT IT...LOL!!! ;Hilarious :p ;Hilarious
Stick around ..25k will hit tonight or tomorrow... :p ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! As a lifelong woodworker my favourite is people who buy cherry and then stain it to look like walnut. Killmenow
Don't even get me started..

I was building a kitchenette from genuine Honduran mahogany for a client in Santa Monica.

On the tester bench, I did a blackout bondo pore fill and sand back before finishing.

The couple loved the look so much (of the black pore fill) they asked me if I would do the whole thing again, but almost black.

I obviously refused.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was building a kitchenette from genuine Honduran mahogany for a client in Santa Monica.

On the tester bench, I did a blackout bondo pore fill and sand back before finishing.

The couple loved the look so much (of the black pore fill) they asked me if I would do the whole thing again, but almost black.

I obviously refused.
Heathens

Solid wood kitchenette?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I obviously refused.
Why do people insist on trying to ruin beautiful wood

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only solid wood I’ll paint or stain without thinking twice about it is oak. Hate oak.
Red, I refuse to work with. Smells like cat pee. White I do like. Especially quarter sawn. I haven't felt much in the craftsman style, but that's one of the anchors of that style to me is the beautiful White oak.

If you've never looked into torified (thermaly vacuum treated)white oak, check it out. I think Austin hardwoods is the only one shipping it right now, but the color and dimensional stability is pretty much unmatched from what I've heard from those working with it often.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back