my new baby... AKA The Café

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is second pic Steve?
Its been named Throat Punch but I've had a few different Id on it now. Came on gulf rock. Is it a cup or sun coral? Even resembles dendro. 100% translucent.
It is a cup coral from the looks of it, but a native one. Orange cup (aka sun coral) are now there as well. They are invasive though in SE Florida.

I have native ones in my sump under the drains. They really like a piece of mysis every now and again. My hope is that they grow into a colony that can be in the new custom sump I just ordered. If you want crazy PE from it, built a small egg crate house around it and shield it from the light. They come out and say hi with all they have when you do that. Edit: Put a tile on top, like a roof. Eggcrate alone is not enough lol.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, bit off the previous topic hehe.

I think I may have some time this weekend to compile a build thread for the 180s and be ale to update the divorce frag build. Hoping so, as I honestly cannot remember what all is under the 180s besides the fuge lol.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a cup coral from the looks of it, but a native one. Orange cup (aka sun coral) are now there as well. They are invasive though in SE Florida.

I have native ones in my sump under the drains. They really like a piece of mysis every now and again. My hope is that they grow into a colony that can be in the new custom sump I just ordered. If you want crazy PE from it, built a small egg crate house around it and shield it from the light. They come out and say hi with all they have when you do that. Edit: Put a tile on top, like a roof. Eggcrate alone is not enough lol.
Yessir mine lived in sump with just a small daylight cfl for a year! It does not like high par so tucks in when T5 kicks on but still extended. Out full boar at night. Yup my wife feeds it chunks of seafood mix when she's feeding puffy.
That's actually a genius idea man. It snatches up everything that floats near it!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yessir mine lived in sump with just a small daylight cfl for a year! It does not like high par so tucks in when T5 kicks on but still extended. Out full boar at night. Yup my wife feeds it chunks of seafood mix when she's feeding puffy.
That's actually a genius idea man. It snatches up everything that floats near it!
That was my goal. I do not see it, as the skimmer hides it, but I know it is there and getting fed. Has about 6-7 new heads coming in, so should be about ready for the new sump when it arrives in 4-8 weeks. You all are going to love the sump lol. Crazy idea that is now in the works.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, alright, so I asked my parents about the tank…

They said yes, well, sort of.

They said NO to keeping it up in my room (second story) because it’s a “big tank”. I totally get that, so it will have to be down in the living room. (Which I’m also ok with)

The also said yes to them loaning the money to me and then me paying it off. (I plan to sell some of my freshwater tank, empty tanks, extra equipment, photos to the art and frame store, etc)

—-

Now, the “sort of” part.

They said I needed to find a way to “trap the water” in case it leaks. (They said the tank, the pipes, the sump, whatever)

They don’t want to pay for water damage and neither do I.

—-

So, any ideas anyone??

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, alright, so I asked my parents about the tank…

They said yes, well, sort of.

They said NO to keeping it up in my room (second story) because it’s a “big tank”. I totally get that, so it will have to be down in the living room. (Which I’m also ok with)

The also said yes to them loaning the money to me and then me paying it off. (I plan to sell some of my freshwater tank, empty tanks, extra equipment, photos to the art and frame store, etc)

—-

Now, the “sort of” part.

They said I needed to find a way to “trap the water” in case it leaks. (They said the tank, the pipes, the sump, whatever)

They don’t want to pay for water damage and neither do I.

—-

So, any ideas anyone??
How much water we talking?

Only way to be 100% sure you won't have water damage is

A.) Set the tank up in the bath tub

B.) Set the tank up in a basement on concrete floors with the sump pump nearby.

In all seriousness... its a fish tank. Anything bigger than 5 or 10 gallons is potentially going to cause damage in the event of a catastrophic leak. There are things you can do to lower the chances... but you can't make the chance zero...

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water we talking?

Only way to be 100% sure you won't have water damage is

A.) Set the tank up in the bath tub

B.) Set the tank up in a basement on concrete floors with the sump pump nearby.

In all seriousness... its a fish tank. Anything bigger than 5 or 10 gallons is potentially going to cause damage in the event of a catastrophic leak. There are things you can do to lower the chances... but you can't make the chance zero...
Sorry, forgot to say. It’s a 40g cube. (Actual tank holds 34g and the sump holds around 9g.

—-

The tank will be on the fountain, with a carpet underneath it.

——

I tried to explain to my dad that the possibility of 40g cube (especially if it’s such high quality as a Red Sea) leaking is very unlikely.

Even if the pipes connecting the sump to the overflow leak, wouldn’t the sump still catch the water?

Im not exactly sure what he expects me to come up with.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
James ,tell them its not going to leak.
and you want to pick up a Watchdog floor alarm. think around 20$
i have them near the big tanks,not that i "care" about water on floor ,but will alert me if something happens.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome parenting.
he put it on you for why you won't be able to have it.
no way you can guarantee like fishy (who's got time for spaces) sez.
Smiles Request Denied GIF by Wentworth

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, forgot to say. It’s a 40g cube. (Actual tank holds 34g and the sump holds around 9g.

—-

The tank will be on the fountain, with a carpet underneath it.

——

I tried to explain to my dad that the possibility of 40g cube (especially if it’s such high quality as a Red Sea) leaking is very unlikely.

Even if the pipes connecting the sump to the overflow leak, wouldn’t the sump still catch the water?

Any tank, sump or not. Can leak. 29g or 100g . 1g of water is a lot to clean up.
Look at how sumps work and the plumbing. Walk him through and explain how the plumbing works, tape or PVC glue. Understand how to install bulkheads if you need. And then there is this
i have them near the big tanks,not that i "care" about water on floor ,but will alert me if something happens.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, this the one?

Also found this one which connects to my phone, and reacts after just a few drops. (Might ease their mind knowing that it reacts very quickly. They could also download the app so it’s synced to their phones as well)

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, after installing my 112 bulk heads... I was the running joke of the day...
What does a bulk head do?

—-

I guess I could try explaining that once I screw the pipes in, glue the connection points, use plumbers tape over that, and then flex seal over that, he MIGHT agree that it won’t leak.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

—-

I guess I could try explaining that once I screw the pipes in, glue the connection points, use plumbers tape over that, and then flex seal over that, he MIGHT agree that it won’t leak.
skip the Flex seal... ;)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

—-

I assume the red sea has bulk heads. They hold the drain lines in place and return line.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

—-

The pipes may already be sealed. Remember, the guy offered to set up the tank as well.
Mean ing, its pretty solid still.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

—-

have you called yet, is it still available?
his direct # is in ad.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, bit off the previous topic hehe.

I think I may have some time this weekend to compile a build thread for the 180s and be ale to update the divorce frag build. Hoping so, as I honestly cannot remember what all is under the 180s besides the fuge lol.
My wife found your thread recently and texted me your good gang pic one day with "goals" as the caption.

I was like, ok, that's another Jarhead. Hold my beer ; )

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you called yet, is it still available?
his direct # is in ad.
Man am I stupid. Didn’t see his numbers. I’ll text him now. ;Facepalm

The pipes may already be sealed. Remember, the guy offered to set up the tank as well.
Mean ing, its pretty solid still.
This reassures me even more that it’s a solid setup and everything is in tip top shape.

I assume the red sea has bulk heads. They hold the drain lines in place and return line.
Oh, gotcha. After looking at the description on some websites, it says this setup has bulk heads.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back