my new baby... AKA The Café

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem like many people are on right now, but on the MCT thread of mine, I'm toying with setting up a ghetto-rigged awc system since it's such a tiny volume (again, 0.37gallons total).

Trying to debate between buying and mixing salt myself again (I don't do water changes on either of my other tanks because I'm a filthy heathen) and just buying a mixture from the LFS (which has bitten me harshly in the rump in the past), or buying something sketchy like the premixed petco stuff.... Mostly, I want the most reliability and absolutely least effort. I'm a real gem.

Any input?
i'm good with whatever you decide. :p

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem like many people are on right now, but on the MCT thread of mine, I'm toying with setting up a ghetto-rigged awc system since it's such a tiny volume (again, 0.37gallons total).

Trying to debate between buying and mixing salt myself again (I don't do water changes on either of my other tanks because I'm a filthy heathen) and just buying a mixture from the LFS (which has bitten me harshly in the rump in the past), or buying something sketchy like the premixed petco stuff.... Mostly, I want the most reliability and absolutely least effort. I'm a real gem.

Any input?

Set the awc up on one of the big tanks?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wanna spam? Check out my entire foot submerged in ice water ;Facepalm
0B35797D-E0A4-4658-9636-2AD89CCD9446.jpeg

Sprained it bad playing basketball :rolleyes:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any input?
I would go with lfs premixed saltwater personally because it’s the easiest , I also don’t have an rodi unit lol and also setup a 5gallon jug for Awc

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any input?
If you can ghetto rig something with precision, why not?

On a normal AWC system if it puts in a quarter gallon more than you wanted it's not a deal. An auto water change system g that's Got sloppy tolerances supporting a system at 0.37 total volume sounds a little scary to me.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, only 93 pages behind in the build. Read every one of them. Not really. I saw the tank still had water and coral so all looks well. :D

Just enough time for a little of my spam. Have a great week all.

59818547-2208-48C3-A2DA-7FC7EA21DB78.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a water change today and it got me thinking ? Do you guys test immediately after the water change or wait a day ? I usually just wait a day to test
I wait at least an hour.

I've heard it read that it's safe to test alkalinity after 20 minutes from making an adjustment so I figure after a water change an hour should be fine.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when i test ,i do before i add anything.
IF...i did water changes ,would wait at least 8-12 hrs.

PS: I don't do water changes or test that much,that often... :rolleyes:

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wait at least an hour.

I've heard it read that it's safe to test alkalinity after 20 minutes from making an adjustment so I figure after a water change an hour should be fine.

Depends a little on tank size and flow also.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i test ,i do before i add anything.
IF...i did water changes ,would wait at least 8-12 hrs.

PS: I don't do water changes or test that much,that often... :rolleyes:
This.

If I need to test, I just drink an 8 ounce glass and see what color me pee is the next day. Measures everything but mag that way.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can ghetto rig something with precision, why not?

On a normal AWC system if it puts in a quarter gallon more than you wanted it's not a deal. An auto water change system g that's Got sloppy tolerances supporting a system at 0.37 total volume sounds a little scary to me.

So I did some mathing. If I wanted to end up with a 100% wc a week, it would be under a cup of water a day at full volume (not accounting for displacement - I haven't filled the tank and measured actual volume yet.) I think I may order the dosers to arrive via amazon tomorrow - then run some tests with tap water under supervision. If I don't trust it I can easily return the doser, no harm no foul. I'll obviously need to do regular recalibrations and maintain the device to even consider trusting it longterm.

Back