Fish face!
20211013_132344.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thunder as of the last hour, dog sleeping beside me. Can't fall back to sleep.
good morning.
should i stay or should i go?
forecast is scattered thunderstorms all afternoon.
don't know if i want to be on the water with a lightening rod (12g shotgun) in my hands. :cool:
Don't turn yourself into a science project!
But, tough call with how accurate weather people are. Meteorologist....

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day, all.

All fish seem to be doing fine in my quarantine and I almost have the entire floor covered with my 3d-printed "biomedia plates" for experimenting. (I need 2 more out of 12 for the first tank, but then 12 more for my other 40B quarantine/hospital tank).

just found that post lol. Does that have to be one of the most out of pocket, random "insult"? attempt I've ever seen on r2r. Top 5 funniest posts on r2r imo
The worst part about it is that the response seems to me to fit exactly into the mold of social media problems being complained about in the thread with the politicization of everything and personal insults/attacks rather than discussing the question at hand, almost like a fight is preferred over discussion.

Maybe the tone or intent of my question was missed, but I guess I do not know what to do with rant threads... maybe I should have followed my first instinct and just stayed out of the thread like I normally do to avoid the issues discussed in the thread.

I find it quite ironic how quickly that thread was pushed directly into the problems being discussed about social media almost entirely by how the OP responded to the discussion (probably in the emotion of the moment, at least somewhat...).

P.S. I'd find it funnier if I did not hate the negatives of social media and the irony of that response to my question...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day, all.

All fish seem to be doing fine in my quarantine and I almost have the entire floor covered with my 3d-printed "biomedia plates" for experimenting. (I need 2 more out of 12 for the first tank, but then 12 more for my other 40B quarantine/hospital tank).

The worst part about it is that the response seems to me to fit exactly into the mold of social media problems being complained about in the thread with the politicization of everything and personal insults/attacks rather than discussing the question at hand, almost like a fight is preferred over discussion.

Maybe the tone or intent of my question was missed, but I guess I do not know what to do with rant threads... maybe I should have followed my first instinct and just stayed out of the thread like I normally do to avoid the issues discussed in the thread.

I find it quite ironic how quickly that thread was pushed directly into the problems being discussed about social media almost entirely by how the OP responded to the discussion (probably in the emotion of the moment, at least somewhat...).
I, for once, actually left it alone. Put in a huggy bear gif and the left it lol. Wanted to say so much more, but was actually a big boy that time and took a higher road lol.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, for once, actually left it alone. Put in a huggy bear gif and the left it lol. Wanted to say so much more, but was actually a big boy that time and took a higher road lol.
I noticed your reaction and almost followed your example.
Since I do want to avoid social media issues here on R2R and wanted to have discussion about how we do that, I ended up responding, but I should have known full well that a thread started on a rant is extremely unlikely to result in a good discussion and any problem solving...
I, too, wanted to say so much more, but I accepted the shut-down offered by the OP (the post I responded to) and was kind of glad the thread closed before I could post my response.

Thus far, I am glad to see that R2R interactions seem to follow the typical pattern of forums as opposed to social media in that it is easier to avoid the toxicity by just avoiding the threads that spark it or getting out as soon as it shifts toxic. I think the best method to change the societal negatives is by setting a better example.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed your reaction and almost followed your example.
Since I do want to avoid social media issues here on R2R and wanted to have discussion about how we do that, I ended up responding, but I should have known full well that a thread started on a rant is extremely unlikely to result in a good discussion and any problem solving...
I, too, wanted to say so much more, but I accepted the shut-down offered by the OP (the post I responded to) and was kind of glad the thread closed before I could post my response.

Thus far, I am glad to see that R2R interactions seem to follow the typical pattern of forums as opposed to social media in that it is easier to avoid the toxicity by just avoiding the threads that spark it or getting out as soon as it shifts toxic. I think the best method to change the societal negatives is by setting a better example.
I agree. We should lead by example. I refuse to use FB for anything. R2R, while it has its ups and down, is still a 100 times better than FB. Do not get me wrong, I have made comments to people that I should not have made. Granted, it was after telling them to let us help someone and to stop bashing them, but still. I should have just ignred them and continued to try and offer assistance.

In the end, we know who is helpful and who is not. We should just continue to try and lead by example. One day the idiots who just love to bash poeple may leave. If they are ignored and get no attention, it makes it no fun anymore.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. We should lead by example. I refuse to use FB for anything. R2R, while it has its ups and down, is still a 100 times better than FB. Do not get me wrong, I have made comments to people that I should not have made. Granted, it was after telling them to let us help someone and to stop bashing them, but still. I should have just ignred them and continued to try and offer assistance.

In the end, we know who is helpful and who is not. We should just continue to try and lead by example. One day the idiots who just love to bash poeple may leave. If they are ignored and get no attention, it makes it no fun anymore.

I didn't see the original thread, sounds like one that would have got me back on mod approval in about two posts! :p

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see the original thread, sounds like one that would have got me back on mod approval in about two posts! :p
You are correct and honestly, not even worth it. In short was a rant about most info being wrong and having to do research to find out what was right.

Sadly, even most of the books on this stuff are outdated. A lot still applies, but with the advances in this hobby, most things are outdated. People share what has worked for them, and that may not work for others. We all know that and have to make our own decisions. The OP just didnt seem like they wanted to make a decision and wanted a walkthrough without having to think. Opps, wrong hobby for that. Been doing this for 40 years now (coherently and not a kid helping his dad lol) and I learn new stuff everyday and realize somethings I have done over the years were wrong. TO me, that is what makes this fun. I am ever learning and get proven wrong from time to time.

In short, this hobby/forum allows me to become a better reefer in many ways.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, time to find someone who makes peking duck

Thanks @sp1187
I live in a small city! No one here makes it and I have to remember how!
peking duck.jpg
Hihi, I probably never mentioned what I do for a living the last few years but I’m a chef and I can say there are some things best left for someone else to do! LOL

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hihi, I probably never mentioned what I do for a living the last few years but I’m a chef and I can say there are some things best left for someone else to do! LOL
It is not easy to make. I respect peking duck chefs

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back