my new baby... AKA The Café

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if I could talk them into giving me a bottle of tigger pods instead of store credit?

(probably not but…)
Patrick Plotting GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been worried I’d pull a spike out
They are tough. If they are tucked away, you'd pull out spines. Once he's in the open, no big deal. Treat him like a glued down coral frag.

Kinda feel it’s a shame. They’re such cool looking urchins. My guy has various bands on its spines.

oh well. Maybe when I have a macro tank with basic rock work I’ll risk one
I love urchins. If you cement your rock scape well, should be safe.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough. If they are tucked away, you'd pull out spines. Once he's in the open, no big deal. Treat him like a glued down coral frag.

I love urchins. If you cement your rock scape well, should be safe.

interesting. I’m using the glue masters thin glue plus sand and the bonds end up being stronger than the marco rock I’m using to scape. Beyond that it’s just going to be the LR and a few island chunks of marco to create lower flow areas for the shrooms, and lps.

now you make me want to wait and see.
Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
interesting. I’m using the glue masters thin glue plus sand and the bonds end up being stronger than the marco rock I’m using to scape. Beyond that it’s just going to be the LR and a few island chunks of marco to create lower flow areas for the shrooms, and lps.

now you make me want to wait and see.
Ralph Wiggum Reaction GIF
I dont think pencil urchin can break that apart. But, they get big if i remember.
Edit: i used that putty stuff from 2 little fishes. Didnt work well.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I was thinking of gettin a urchin also for the 300.
We doing mostly lps and a few sps...

im planning on having a pair of tuxedos when I finally get to the proverbial dream tank. I’m undecided with the 120.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think pencil urchin can break that apart. But, they get big if i remember.

well, I’ll stay my hand and observe. I’m pretty sure they do get big. But if I can get away with having him for a bit at the start of the 120, maybe he’ll help with algae control for a bit and then I’ll find him a bigger home.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well, I’ll stay my hand and observe. I’m pretty sure they do get big. But if I can get away with having him for a bit at the start of the 120, maybe he’ll help with algae control for a bit and then I’ll find him a bigger home.
They are awesome.
yes I was thinking of gettin a urchin also for the 300.
We doing mostly lps and a few sps...
I love my tuxedo. Even though it's a constant frag battle. Hes not going anywhere.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are awesome.

I love my tuxedo. Even though it's a constant frag battle. Hes not going anywhere.

I’m just trying to be pragmatic. I’ve got the 33lbs of KP and about 75lbs of marco. I know that likely I’ll have elevated phosphate with the marco.

that’s one of the main reasons I got my Clearwater ATS. Seems to me giving hair and turf algae the perfect place to grow in addition to a smart CUC and some solid oceanic biodiversity will be the best means of avoiding falling into the typical first tank traps of having a positive feedback loop fueling the uglies and then causing dinos by over reacting by jumping to extreme measures rather than being patient and mindful about the system.

*disclaimer. BeltedCoyote is legally a philosopher and more than slightly zen Buddhist. He will wax all philosophical about his belief that balance is the key to reef keeping

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
falling into the typical first tank traps of having a positive feedback loop fueling the uglies and then causing dinos
I give pics in the morning. Been there. 20-30lbs live rock with 30lbs dry rock. Lots of gha on dead rock. Wasn't hard to fight. Red slime grew in the hob filter. Dinos, i never saw them. They can still show up though.

Try not to over think. You're going to do great :)

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give pics in the morning. Been there. 20-30lbs live rock with 30lbs dry rock. Lots of gha on dead rock. Wasn't hard to fight. Red slime grew in the hob filter. Dinos, i never saw them. They can still show up though.

Try not to over think. You're going to do great :)

thank you! Honestly my plan is to get the system set up, set up the ATS once GHA starts appearing, and then letting it ride. Other than WCs, basic maintenance, and a testing regimen to get a good idea of where my system settles. I’m going to let it do it’s thing.

honestly I’m confident enough of this plan because all of you have been so helpful and shared your experiences.

that and as @Lost in the Sauce mentioned. I have researched the crap out of things the past few years LOL

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank, have you ever given us a list of your favorites?

I mean, I’m sure you have things hidden away I’ve never seen.

but I’m curious, let’s say, limit…6

Favorite tangs?
General fish?
corals?

Back