my new baby... AKA The Café

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
annnd i think i am out of pictures...:Dbeen a loong holiday weekend...;)how Turkey can a man eat...:oops::)
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_20211129_002004_373.jpg
PXL_20211130_010807431~2.jpg
PXL_20211130_035137080.jpg

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its Alive Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time
gene wilder frankenstein GIF by foxhorror
Mtv Help GIF by INTO ACTION
:Do_O;Oldman
"Frankentank " has a pulse...;Woot...AGAIN... :rolleyes: ;Woot
IMG_20211129_235310_043.jpg

IMG_20211129_235357_701.jpg
IMG_20211129_231931_940.jpg

tubs are full, hit that mark...
n some Boogie...:)..poppin..??

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi all... :) fresh off coma nap...:D
Frankentank is now officially level...;)
My brain sure isn't....
I’m going to post my question about booster pumps in my build.

because I don’t want to derail this thread. Because I have never done, nor would ever dream…of derailing this thread
courage the cowardly dog freaky fred GIF
Is that even possible?
train punch GIF by RJFilmSchool

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20211130_035137080.jpg

Who let the Fox out???
PXL_20211130_035036593.jpg
I didn't miss this post! Lovely foxfaces! Where did you find 3 magnificents available?!? ...and did it cost a fortune?
Of course, I still have a personal preference for the Fiji on the left which helps my pocketbook since they tend to be cheaper...
I'm still considering adding a couple more Fiji foxes to my QT to increase my chances for a male/female pair, but I want smaller ones (2-4") and most available seem to be larger.

Also, out of curiosity, do your fish ever seem more stressed due to the reflection on the bare bottom of the tank in QT? I'm concerned that my QT wipe-out may have been due to Vibrio or some similar bacteria creating toxin in the water fed by uneaten food/detritus trapped in my porous 3D-printed biofilter plates, so I am considering going bare-bottom for my QT's (currently so in my 5-gallon QT's) though my fish initially seemed to constantly be more stressed by reflections...

Finally the formatting is returned to your normally scheduled latest posts on top of the home page.
Yes! I can finally be thankful, now that Thanksgiving (Black Friday) is over!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't miss this post! Lovely foxfaces! Where did you find 3 magnificents available?!? ...and did it cost a fortune?
Of course, I still have a personal preference for the Fiji on the left which helps my pocketbook since they tend to be cheaper...
I'm still considering adding a couple more Fiji foxes to my QT to increase my chances for a male/female pair, but I want smaller ones (2-4") and most available seem to be larger.

Also, out of curiosity, do your fish ever seem more stressed due to the reflection on the bare bottom of the tank in QT? I'm concerned that my QT wipe-out may have been due to Vibrio or some similar bacteria creating toxin in the water fed by uneaten food/detritus trapped in my porous 3D-printed biofilter plates, so I am considering going bare-bottom for my QT's (currently so in my 5-gallon QT's) though my fish initially seemed to constantly be more stressed by reflections...

Yes! I can finally be thankful, now that Thanksgiving (Black Friday) is over!
I figured it would catch your eye Soren.

Mags come in in waves it seems. Two months ago they were everywhere, then disappeared completely. I had feelers out with my normal guys I order fish with. They showed up and I picked them all up.

Of these 4, only one is mine. The others are going to reefers who couldn't get them local to them.

I don't ever see any of the fish reacting to their reflection in the bottom glass. I also don't run bright lights over the qt. There is a cheapo Walmart aquarium light over it that hardly ever turns on. Ambient lighting from the room plus the frag tank next to it is plenty for illumination. I find it helps keep the stress down generally in qt. I would not like having sand in my qt, honestly. I do feed Quite heavily in qt. With the bare bottom any food that settles in a feeding is picked up by the scavengers when all the easy food runs out in the water.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it would catch your eye Soren.
Yeah, I don't know why certain fish are appealing to each of us, but foxies are a clear favorite of mine! I can't explain the joy I feel when watching mine cruise around my QT with full colors like my profile picture (which has been changed once and for a long time, now that I have a picture of my own of my favorite fish! I hate it when profile pictures change too often since they are a visual identifier, but I wanted one that was more current and fitting.)

Mags come in in waves it seems. Two months ago they were everywhere, then disappeared completely. I had feelers out with my normal guys I order fish with. They showed up and I picked them all up.
It seems like foxfaces in general come in waves sometimes. I've noticed spikes in availability in the online stores as well as my LFS. I almost bought several Fiji foxes from my LFS and may still do so if they are available the next time I go. The hindrance, though, is that I don't want to end up with too many that need re-homed after I hopefully establish a male/female pair. I don't know how I will know for sure about the pairing, though, unless I somehow end up with them spawning and I can confirm as much (which seems pretty unlikely?). As long as 2 get along in my reef, that will be good enough for me until I start looking more into actually trying to breed them some day later (if ever).

Of these 4, only one is mine. The others are going to reefers who couldn't get them local to them.
Is one of the magnificents for Frank? ;)
Which one are you keeping?
Are you planning to end up with more than one foxface in your 180?

I don't ever see any of the fish reacting to their reflection in the bottom glass. I also don't run bright lights over the qt. There is a cheapo Walmart aquarium light over it that hardly ever turns on. Ambient lighting from the room plus the frag tank next to it is plenty for illumination. I find it helps keep the stress down generally in qt. I would not like having sand in my qt, honestly. I do feed Quite heavily in qt. With the bare bottom any food that settles in a feeding is picked up by the scavengers when all the easy food runs out in the water.
I think this was exactly my problem when the fish were stressed with bare-bottom: white painted shelf under the tank and full bright lighting. On the 5-gallon QT's, I added window blackout sheet on the outside of the aquarium on all surfaces except the front visible end, so the reflections are reduced. I also have no light yet for the 5g QT's and plan to use dim lighting for security.

The bare-bottom route seems better to me, since my biofilter plates collect the food as it is being fed and are not easy to clean. I would need to vacuum the tank daily, I think, in order to not run the risk of several dangers: pH drop due to food rot, bacteria risk due to available nutrients, and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate risks due to high nutrients. I think I just need to go bare-bottom and reduce my lighting while having the bottom of the tank darkened by blackout sheet or dark shelf color.

Thanks for the advice!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. The hindrance, though, is that I don't want to end up with too many that need re-homed after I hopefully establish a male/female pair. I don't know how I will know for sure about the pairing, though, unless I somehow end up with them spawning and I can confirm as much (which seems pretty unlikely?). As long as 2 get along in my reef, that will be good enough for me until I start looking more into actually trying to breed them some day later (if ever).
I hope that you end up with two bonded pairs. Especially since your dream is eventually to attempt captive breeding of them.
One of the Mags, and the Bicolor are for the man @fishguy242 one is mine, and one is for @Erin O

I Don't plan on having more than one in the 180. I have already had to remove the one spot fox face as it was tearing up my tangs. I hear all the time how they have such a great disposition but this one spot was literally taking chunks out of the sides of other fish
The bare-bottom route seems better to me, since my biofilter plates collect the food as it is being fed and are not easy to clean. I would need to vacuum the tank daily,

Did you print one side of the plates with a texture? I'm wondering if you printed one side smooth, or even sanded one side of the existing plates smooth moving up through the grits, If you could have your smooth side up mimicking a bare bottom, and half inch spacers underneath the plates elevating them with a small in tank pump moving water under them if it would be more effective. You would still obviously have food under there and decay and need to pull them once a week but it would be easier to clean for the fish.
I think, in order to not run the risk of several dangers: pH drop due to food rot, bacteria risk due to available nutrients, and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate risks due to high nutrients. I think I just need to go bare-bottom and reduce my lighting while having the bottom of the tank darkened by blackout sheet or dark shelf color.

Thanks for the advice!
BB Definitely has some advantages in my opinion. I personally don't like the look so I wouldn't want one in a display tank, But for my quarantine and frag system, I found that's what I like and what works for me.

OP
OP
fishguy242

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I don't know why certain fish are appealing to each of us, but foxies are a clear favorite of mine! I can't explain the joy I feel when watching mine cruise around my QT with full colors like my profile picture (which has been changed once and for a long time, now that I have a picture of my own of my favorite fish! I hate it when profile pictures change too often since they are a visual identifier, but I wanted one that was more current and fitting.)

It seems like foxfaces in general come in waves sometimes. I've noticed spikes in availability in the online stores as well as my LFS. I almost bought several Fiji foxes from my LFS and may still do so if they are available the next time I go. The hindrance, though, is that I don't want to end up with too many that need re-homed after I hopefully establish a male/female pair. I don't know how I will know for sure about the pairing, though, unless I somehow end up with them spawning and I can confirm as much (which seems pretty unlikely?). As long as 2 get along in my reef, that will be good enough for me until I start looking more into actually trying to breed them some day later (if ever).

I think this was exactly my problem when the fish were stressed with bare-bottom: white painted shelf under the tank and full bright lighting. On the 5-gallon QT's, I added window blackout sheet on the outside of the aquarium on all surfaces except the front visible end, so the reflections are reduced. I also have no light yet for the 5g QT's and plan to use dim lighting for security.

The bare-bottom route seems better to me, since my biofilter plates collect the food as it is being fed and are not easy to clean. I would need to vacuum the tank daily, I think, in order to not run the risk of several dangers: pH drop due to food rot, bacteria risk due to available nutrients, and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate risks due to high nutrients. I think I just need to go bare-bottom and reduce my lighting while having the bottom of the tank darkened by blackout sheet or dark shelf color.

Thanks for the advice!
no worries about rehoming foxy's... :) i will always have a spot for them...;)

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning/Afternoon everyone, hope your day is going well.

Last day of vacation... I dont wanna go back :(
14 or so pages to catch up on which will prolly be tomorrow ;)

feel your pain, bears ,cubs since early 70's... :rolleyes: ;)
we had a couple good yrs...(2)... ;Facepalm
We won but think it was the game to decide who was worst. Will see if they can take a positive to next game but dont think we have a chance against Arizona.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back