my new baby... AKA The Café

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, anyone with a melanarus (spelling) wrasse or who has experience of one, do they become wrasseholes when they get bigger, I have a two inch pink streak I could do without upsetting? :)
My melly was a model citizen. @Crabby48 thoughts? @sfin52 thoughts?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, anyone with a melanarus (spelling) wrasse or who has experience of one, do they become wrasseholes when they get bigger, I have a two inch pink streak I could do without upsetting? :)
The two I've had never turned into wrasseholes. Over time they did eat small snails, but they never bothered any of my other wrasses (or other fish).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m one of the few that had terrible luck. First one out of know where killed a wrasse and the second killed a fire fish. I’m done with them. Most have good luck. I would do a yellow, radiant or earmuff if looking for a hunting bug type wrasse. There are a couple more mellow ones then a melanurus.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mele male has it's moments. It was a great neighbor until moving to the bigger tank. Started tail swatting the sand really ticking off all of the corals. Also killed my harlequin shrimp and carried it around the tank for an afternoon.

The tail swatting has completely stopped. Unsure if it still wants to eat scrymp friends.

One thing it hasn't cared about were my chisel tooth wrasse and two types of flasher.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m one of the few that had terrible luck. First one out of know where killed a wrasse and the second killed a fire fish. I’m done with them. Most have good luck. I would do a yellow, radiant or earmuff if looking for a hunting bug type wrasse. There are a couple more mellow ones then a melanurus.
Yellows and radiants are good suggestions. Biocellatus are one of the best hunters too right up there with melanurus and I've not heard of anyone having one go rogue. If pest hunting is important I'd skip the earmuff mine doesn't hunt anything but snails... and my poor anemone crab, I watched him rip his claws off then eat him :(

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellows and radiants are good suggestions. Biocellatus are one of the best hunters too right up there with melanurus and I've not heard of anyone having one go rogue. If pest hunting is important I'd skip the earmuff mine doesn't hunt anything but snails... and my poor anemone crab, I watched him rip his claws off then eat him :(
My blackear (Halichoeres poeyi) ate a gorilla crab that was about 2 1/2" I love it for that and it was like a fight night in the fish barn when I caught it. Me all rooting for the wrasse, as there was no way I was sticking my hand in between that.

Also why it lives in the macro tank with groupers and scorps lol. That tank is now where all real live rock from the gulf will go for pest elimination lol.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blackear (Halichoeres poeyi) ate a gorilla crab that was about 2 1/2" I love it for that and it was like a fight night in the fish barn when I caught it. Me all rooting for the wrasse, as there was no way I was sticking my hand in between that.

Also why it lives in the macro tank with groupers and scorps lol. That tank is now where all real live rock from the gulf will go for pest elimination lol.
Hahaha that's awesome!! I can keep tiger conchs and trochus snails with my earmuff, other motile inverts are just dinner.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha that's awesome!! I can keep tiger conchs and trochus snails with my earmuff, other motile inverts are just dinner.
I have fighting conchs and trochus in the macro tank. There are a few astraea still alive, but the numbers are slowly dwindling down. Was a 100 or so when it was added lol.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fighting conchs and trochus in the macro tank. There are a few astraea still alive, but the numbers are slowly dwindling down. Was a 100 or so when it was added lol.
I have 4 or 5 nerites left from an old reef cleaners order that have learned to stay huddled together above the water line all day. He knows they're there and cruises past them close to the water line throughout the day. Those snails are probably hearing the Jaws theme song every time he goes past them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a model citizen. I added a leapord wrasse a with some chasing nothing serious. My leapord died that night. Nothing to do with the the mel.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no rest for the wicked... :rolleyes: busy,busy,...;)
IMG_20220127_065651_248.jpg

sorry ,needed two hands on wheel, crappy pics continue...:D
poppin..
velcro your phone to the front of your hat !!!!!! hahahah just think of the possibilities....

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torn because I love my snails but want the utility of a Mel

I also love my cleaner shrimp
I really do think there are other utilitarian wrasses that you wouldn't have to worry about as much.

My mele has never taken interest in any of my cleaner scrymps but they're decently large.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do think there are other utilitarian wrasses that you wouldn't have to worry about as much.

My mele has never taken interest in any of my cleaner scrymps but they're decently large.

what do you have in mind?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is better behaved than my yellow.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What specifically are you trying to achieve?

just something that likes to munch things like flatworms, extra bristle worms, etc as it grazes. Basically looking for something that’ll do what people use six lines, Mel’s, yellow coris for

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back