My New Diamond Goby Building His New Bedrooms

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a quarantined Diamond Goby yesterday and he has already built himself one bedroom yesterday and building another one today. I did not know they were such work horses especially after only being in the tank for a few hours. Yesterday he was a little skittish when my 8" Tang and 7" Magnificent Foxface would swim by and dive under the rock he made his first home in, but today he could care less about them. I have never had a fish that acclimated to the tank environment quicker than him. He is fun to watch. Great personality. Many thanks to New Wave Aquaria for giving me such a fantastic fish. Have heard some stories of people adding this fish to their tank and then think they are dead because they can't find them, then all of a sudden they appear in a few months. Not this guy. Below is a video of him building his second bedroom this evening along with a photo of his first bedroom.

Building his second bedroom this evening.

Sand was level yesterday prior to putting him in the tank. His first bedroom.
20221031_180036.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a quarantined Diamond Goby yesterday and he has already built himself one bedroom yesterday and building another one today. I did not know they were such work horses especially after only being in the tank for a few hours. Yesterday he was a little skittish when my 8" Tang and 7" Magnificent Foxface would swim by and dive under the rock he made his first home in, but today he could care less about them. I have never had a fish that acclimated to the tank environment quicker than him. He is fun to watch. Great personality. Many thanks to New Wave Aquaria for giving me such a fantastic fish. Have heard some stories of people adding this fish to their tank and then think they are dead because they can't find them, then all of a sudden they appear in a few months. Not this guy. Below is a video of him building his second bedroom this evening along with a photo of his first bedroom.

Building his second bedroom this evening.

Sand was level yesterday prior to putting him in the tank. His first bedroom.
20221031_180036.jpg
I’d be cautious, the sand looks shallow and this genus gets almost all of their nutrients from the sand. To replicate this, ideally you want to feed 4-5 times a day with nutrient heavy foods.
These guys can rid your sandbed of life within a year if not a few months.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be cautious, the sand looks shallow and this genus gets almost all of their nutrients from the sand. To replicate this, ideally you want to feed 4-5 times a day with nutrient heavy foods.
These guys can rid your sandbed of life within a year if not a few months.
You are correct. The sand bed is at average only 1.5" in my 84"X30"x24" tank. It is heavily stocked with copepods and amphipods. The homemade food I feed I would bet is more nutritious than anything I could purchase from an LFS. All my other fish are nice and fat and happy. The first day I had the Goby I fed him through a feeding tube because he was under the first rock he made his bedroom in and he gobbled down the food. I plan on feeding him with the feeding tube to ensure he gets plenty of food. I only feed my fish twice a day because of the high nutrient food I feed. The food I feed is a mixture of Shrimp, Scallops, Clams, Oysters, Whole Baby Octopus, Squid, Mussels, Krill and Halibut mixed with some Spirulina Powder, Reef Roids, Reef Chili, Liquid Garlic, Selcon, Vitachem and Brightwell's AminOmega-HUFA Omega 3/6 Supplement. I also feed Gut Loaded Brine Shrimp and Mysis Shrimp. I also add 1/2 sheet of Nori every other day on a clip in two locations of the tank.
Hopefully this feeding regiment will be fine for the Goby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back