My new fairy wrasse!!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i have been posting about what wrasse to get with my other fish...went to the lfs today and loved this wrasses color and price...$39

It is a tricolor fairy wrasse, he came out as soon as i put himn in the tank..so he seems to be brave

IMG_3499.jpg
IMG_3500.jpg
IMG_3498.jpg

Do fairy wrasses fight with other fairy wrasses? might just have to get another ..my other lfs has an african exsq. fairy

subdrive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking wrasse!!
I got the same kind today..going through turf war with one of the other wrasse right now.
Hope they come to agreement soon or else I have to take it back...

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome pick up. Definitely cover the tank!!!! I lost 2 Rhomboids to suicide by dehydration!

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my yellow coris and the tri color dont do anything beside swim beside and look at each other

kirkleigh84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of flames a pink margin male and a terminal lineatus and they get along great. I use an acclimation box and put the new arrivals in for about a week so everyone gets used to each other. I highly suggest this if you are planning on getting more.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Lubbocks! Great fish with a good personality, not too aggressive.

Exquisite's are feisty, but not overly mean. You would do better to let the Lubbocks settle in for a few weeks to establish his territory then add the Exquisite. The Lubbocks is the more docile of the two so its better if the Exquisite has to adjust to the Lubbocks as the more dominant fish rather than the other way around.

Or you could get the Exquisite and another type of fairy wrasse and add them at the same time. As long as your tank is reasonably sized this won't be a problem. This would better even out the aggression between the fish.

Exquisite's are jumpers so you'll def need a cover.

I'm not sure why some people still think you can't keep several fairy wrasses together successfully when there are so many people out there with wrasse tanks nowadays.

Keeping several wrasses together is much the same as keep several tangs together. They need a good amount of swimming space and you have to take care on the order you introduce each fish into the tank.

Last edited:

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of flames a pink margin male and a terminal lineatus and they get along great. I use an acclimation box and put the new arrivals in for about a week so everyone gets used to each other. I highly suggest this if you are planning on getting more.

Fairy wrasses are very timid at first, and as Kirkleigh suggests, an acclimation box is how you should introduce them to your tanks.

051-2.jpg

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 8 went missing?

Havent seen him since...

is he likely just hiding?

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding definitely..It is amazing all of the hiding places that are in your tank. i added 6 peppermint shrimp a month ago. For 4 weeks, I have not seen a single antenna, then yesterday I saw one for the first time, its only a 90G.

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice lubbocks...the thing about exqusites is that they lose alot of color if they are not housed with females..they fairys in the blue/green group lose the most color and as Brad posted a acclimation box is the way to go and as others stated if you don't have a top it will be gone they are expert jumpers..i don't know why others are saying you can't keep more fairys in there..in a small tank i can understand i kept quite a few in a 90 and no problems at all..i don't know how big you tank is but i see no problem keeping another fairy or two in that tank

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
66 gal...now the wrasse is out all the time and all the fish get along

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get an exquisite for a 66 gallon tank. They are big time swimmers. A flasher wrasse or two would be better. A yellow coris wrasse also would be a good option. Stay away from christmas wrasses and peppermint hogs and of course lunare, coris, etc. The latter look cute when they are juveniles but become quite large and not very reef safe. Christmas wrasses and peppermint hogs can be fairly aggressive and also need a lot of room.

Just do your research before getting another wrasse, there are plenty of good options for a medium sized tank.

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get an exquisite for a 66 gallon tank. They are big time swimmers. A flasher wrasse or two would be better. A yellow coris wrasse also would be a good option. Stay away from christmas wrasses and peppermint hogs and of course lunare, coris, etc. The latter look cute when they are juveniles but become quite large and not very reef safe. Christmas wrasses and peppermint hogs can be fairly aggressive and also need a lot of room.

Just do your research before getting another wrasse, there are plenty of good options for a medium sized tank.

i agree a flasher would be a better choice i think for that size tank

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow coris and a tricolor fairy....didnt plan on any more wrasses

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one awesome little fish!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back