My new first tank so far

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's a 60g tall tank 36w30h15. This is how I just set it up. Feed back is welcome. I kinda like the aqua scape but I don't know. I'm just sitting in front of it to have it grow on me lol. And it's about 90lbs of live rock and 35lds of live sand. Was trying to hide the big ugly pipe but ran out of rock. Let me know. Thanks.
F6CBC59F-23BF-492D-9C27-8648E25058C1-5713-00000718F24122BC.jpg

Salty heart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gonna be pretty when it grows all the corraline on it!! I like the rock on the bottom that looks like it has a cave in it!!:smile:

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't quite get a sense of depth. You may want to spread those rocks a little more front to back. I mean, make the base broader front to back, so it tapers upward at a 45 degree angle, but leave a lot of open spaces as caves and tunnels for water flow as well as hiding for fish. Also, it helps make it look more natural if you give it a little asymmetry.

I know you want to hide that tube. They do sell black PVC pipes.

kes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the depth of your tank, with 30", you can get creative in aquascape. Make sure to leave sufficient room for the corals to grow near the top. Try to avoid the clutter look as much as possible, as this will allow for better circulation and also room for fish to swim about.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the depth of your tank, with 30", you can get creative in aquascape. Make sure to leave sufficient room for the corals to grow near the top. Try to avoid the clutter look as much as possible, as this will allow for better circulation and also room for fish to swim about.
This is a side view of the tank.
44CEE8C0-BC3E-425E-A7FD-9F8785C1F482-6360-00000824FECAADB7.jpg

Is that enough room?? I'm not very decor savvy.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Love your rock structure! :)

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm messing around with the power heads to circulate the water so there is no dead spots. Is it ok for the sand to be kicked up a little?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks look good. Once the Coraline algae grows over and you get corals placed it will grow out nice. Looks like there is plenty of room for the fish to swim and still have hiding areas. As for the water flow kicking up sand it is not bad but over time if should settle out. I changed my return line to have a T connector in it because the concentrated flow was moving a lot of sand so now it returns in two different directions with an MP40 circulating the rest of the tank. I don't feel I have any major dead spots in my tank based on watching the circulation of food in the water.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a side view of the tank.
44CEE8C0-BC3E-425E-A7FD-9F8785C1F482-6360-00000824FECAADB7.jpg

Is that enough room?? I'm not very decor savvy.

Ummm, I think I'll go back to my original suggestion. If you are looking to grow coral, that is a very vertical front face for the rocks. The coral will end up shadowing each other very quickly. If you can create 45 degree surfaces at different angles, you'll be able to fill the areas better with coral. It will be a little challenging with your tank dimensions, though.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, I think I'll go back to my original suggestion. If you are looking to grow coral, that is a very vertical front face for the rocks. The coral will end up shadowing each other very quickly. If you can create 45 degree surfaces at different angles, you'll be able to fill the areas better with coral. It will be a little challenging with your tank dimensions, though.
Ya the more I look at it to the vert of it is kinda scary even though I have shook it the rock doesn't look like its going to fall but I'm not shacking hard I have little ones around and that's all I need is for someone to bump it hard enough and watch it all fall down and hurt whatever is in there ill probably bring it down a little bit so it's not so close to the top and try what you said. Thanks everyone.

OP
OP
S

Supramike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F6A3F1CB-6052-4AC9-BDD2-098650073A73-3952-000005634E5B2C8F_zpsb371a649.jpg

Ok I had to rearrange the rock some the vibration from watching movies was causing the rocks to vibrate an start to fall.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are gonna Love the Rock Work!! Lots of hiding spots!! Watching for more Updates!!

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to make sure those rocks are stable. If TV vibrations set them to falling, I can imagine what would happen if you are working on the tank. You don't want them falling at a later stage when you have coral in there. One quick way to do it is get several tubes of epoxy putty, available at most larger hardware store's for a good price (I get mine from Lowe's), and more expensive at LFS's. Stuff good amounts where the rocks come together so that the putty acts as a brace and secondarily as a bonding agent. If you have a skimmer running, turn it off for 48 hours because the epoxy putty will drive it nuts.

Last edited:

PCygni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you're at it, how about some pics of the sump/refugium? I need ideas.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back