My New Red Sea Reefer S1000 Build

SeaPirate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Red Sea Reefer S1000. Wow, do I have a lot to learn. I will document each step along the way, but first a little background. This is my first Mixed Reef Tank. Previously I had a 150 gallon saltwater fish only tank, but it's been more than 10 years.

The "Core" Build:
  • Red Sea Reefer S1000
  • Red Sea RSK-900 Skimmer
  • (3) Red Sea ReefLED 160S Lights
  • Red Sea ReefDose 4
  • (2) Red Sea ReefWave 45
  • 1 EchoTech Vectra L2/Mobius 3100 GPH Return Pump
  • 6 Stage RODI
To be added:
  • Additional EchoTech Vectra Return Pump to drive UV
  • Pentair 80w High Output UV Sterilizer
  • (I will split the returns, one will be driven by the first Vectra, the second Vectra will drive the second return through the UV Sterilizer)
  • Perhaps a second ReefDose 4. I need to do some research here. It appears that if I use dosers with the right elements etc, that I would not need any reactors? Advice appreciated)
  • Any suggests on what Reactors or other equipment I should be considering?
  • Auto Top Off Pump (Use additional sump tank for ATO Reservoir instead of a refugium) alternatively a separate ATO Reservoir if I really should be using a refugium. Again, it's a little unclear to me what is "overkill" or what is duplicative.

I am attempting to get the new system to be as maintenance free as possible. My "theory" is that with the correct initial equipment, I would ultimately avoid regular water changes and just have ATO (though I do realize in the early stages Water changes will be necessary, I just want to avoid it if possible). And, I don't want to have to keep reconfiguring the sump along the way.

Thoughts? Am I over doing it or overthinking it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaPirate

SeaPirate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is finally here! S1000 being delivered by 5:00 PM. I've completed my "water room" with RODI and saltwater mixer. Lines running through my drop ceiling. Also added Neptune APEX System: ATO, DOS for Auto Water Change), Salinity and temperature probes, two flow monitors, and leak detection. Assembly of stand will start in the next day or so and will post pictures along the way. I don't think I have been this excited since my first child was born.

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 850 was delivered yesterday - the LFS put it together for me. I noticed that there’s some ‘give’ when I wiggle the tank from one of the ends. It’s still empty, but the guys said that it’ll be solid once the water is in it.

I’ll be curious if you have the same thing.

OP
OP
SeaPirate

SeaPirate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a lot of work. But got it in place. More pictures to come, on to plumbing, sump,
4B868254-5D03-4C23-8DC1-997A9D77D4D9.jpeg
Aqua Scape, live sand, and water.

OP
OP
SeaPirate

SeaPirate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 850 was delivered yesterday - the LFS put it together for me. I noticed that there’s some ‘give’ when I wiggle the tank from one of the ends. It’s still empty, but the guys said that it’ll be solid once the water is in it.

I’ll be curious if you have the same thing.
That would make me a bit nervous. I did not have that with the 1000. It’s rock solid after I leveled the feet.

jfm3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water level are you maintaining in the sump's skimmer section & are you using bio block or other to raise the RSK-900?

OP
OP
SeaPirate

SeaPirate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What water level are you maintaining in the sump's skimmer section & are you using bio block or other to raise the RSK-900?
About 8" of water in the main/extended sump. I do have a stand for the RSK-900, but I have put it in as of yet. I am not running the skimmer during the initial cycle as the bacteria gets established.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank! did you get it filled and scaped?

I was thinking of the 900 but then saw the S1000 of course now I want that. haha
i'll be fallowing your build!

Last edited:
Back